JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,
I recently shot at an IDPA and had some questions regarding my "rig". I know that each shooter will develop their own set-up, but I had some hopefully general questions about some pros and cons of what rig set-ups are out there.
Holster:
1) I noticed that there are straight or canted. I would think a cant would be good, but online there are widely divided opinions. I noticed only straight holsters this weekend.
2) Sweat guard. I think having a sweat guard would be nice to protect your pistol, but does it get in the way of drawing or holstering.
3) Belt loop size. Is this a big deal or do I need to get a 2" gun belt along with correct sized belt loops.
Magazine holders
forward or backward bullet facing. I have always shot with bullets backward, but had a few suggestions to face them forward to allow indexing. Any thoughts?

I know these will probably be really basic questions, but I am totally confused as to what set-up to start with.
Current: Serpa with stock XD magazine holders on crappy uncle mikes nylon belt.
Thinking about: Northwest tactical kydex holster and double magazine holder (forward facing) with a gun belt/riggers belt.

Thanks for any and all help, I really appreciate it!

My suggestion, get a custom kydex holster molded to your gun. I use the stock mag holster from Springfield for my XDm. The kydex can be canted any way you want. Slight forward is general for a carry weapon. I have no idea what a sweat guard is. Mags definitely bullets forward, correct for the indexing. Get a quality pistol/gun belt. Its worth it. The question is "What are you gonna use it for?" I dont have any fancy gear, I use what I carry on a daily basis. Train with what you carry..... My opinion.

What is your goal for the matches?

When I did it a few times over a couple of years I wanted to challenge myself and the way I carry. I did not expect to come in first, nor last. I wanted "practical" shooting in a way that pushed me to do better and work under "stress". So I used my normal carry gun (G17 or G35 at the time), normal OWB strong side kydex holster (everyday carry), and the magazine carrier I used at the time (I dont recall what it was). For me this worked great and got the results I wanted.

If your goal is to get to #1 then I suggest you start with what you have. Ask tons of questions at the matches. At each match see if you can try someones rig afterward or even during your turn. Try different things until you find what works for you.

Great suggestions and comments!
I want to "shoot as I live", but wanted a new holster/magazine holders
When does this New Rule Book coming out?
Thanks again all respondents.

No one know when the new rule book will be out.... I'll guess mid year. Too many big matches already scheduled this year for it to come out now. If it comes out mid year they can tell everyone that it goes into effect next year. Then everyone will have time to adjust to the new rules and the current SO's can get Re-Certified or whatever they need to do.

Which match did you shoot at? There is a good chance I was there too.

If you want to shoot IDPA for defensive carry practice then use the same gear that you carry with.

If you want to shoot it as a competition, where you care about where you finish then a Kydex holster and mag pouches. Straight drop, no cant is a little faster for most people. Matching belt loop size to belt size is also important if competing. You want your holster and mag pouches held in the exact same position every time you draw and reload. All this only matters for fractions of seconds but it adds up at the end of a 6 or 7 stage match. I've lost 1st place before several times by less then a second, the closest was less then .25 second.

NW Tactical makes good holsters but there is a new place called KRounds that is also local (Tukwila) that is now making Kydex holsters too. The thing I really like about them is they offer both concealed carry and "competition" model holsters. They have some features not found on other holsters and they have tension adjustment on all their holsters. I really like having tension adjustment because I can dial in the exact amount of gun retention on the holster. Kydex Holsters - K Rounds Shooting Accessories

Damon
Match Videos
dmonwai's channel - YouTube

Thanks for the info Damon! I'll take a look at the KROunds product.
I was the one of the new shooters, but was on the squad that started at stage one.
Where do I find results?
Can't wait for the next one!

Thanks for the info Damon! I'll take a look at the KROunds product.
I was the one of the new shooters, but was on the squad that started at stage one.
Where do I find results?
Can't wait for the next one!

Which match were you shooting at? The different matches will post their results at different places..

I was at the March 30th IDPA match. I didn't DQ, but managed to shoot the same hostage twice, but got the bad guy behind the hostage with one of the bullets!
BTW still confused about IDPA and USPSA and IPSC do I have to join all three? I have read online about the different styles etc, but is is not clear what if any single one I should join.
Basically, I want to learn how to shoot well in realistic situations with the pistol/rifle/shotgun I own/would carry. My knee is toast so not too into the running and gunning, but can still move and get into the shooting positions needed.
Thanks again for your advice and help!

I was at the March 30th IDPA match. I didn't DQ, but managed to shoot the same hostage twice, but got the bad guy behind the hostage with one of the bullets!
BTW still confused about IDPA and USPSA and IPSC do I have to join all three? I have read online about the different styles etc, but is is not clear what if any single one I should join.
Basically, I want to learn how to shoot well in realistic situations with the pistol/rifle/shotgun I own/would carry. My knee is toast so not too into the running and gunning, but can still move and get into the shooting positions needed.
Thanks again for your advice and help!

If you shot the match on the 30th then was at the Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup. That was a good match, pretty challenging stages. I'll have a video up from that match soon.

There are IDPA matches almost every weekend here in Western Washington state. Some weekends there are two matches the same day. Usually those are far enough apart that its easy to decide which one to go to.

You can shoot you first IDPA match with out being an IDPA member. For your 2nd an on matches you are supposed to join IDPA. Its $40 a year for membership.

USPSA and IPSC are basically the same, IPSC is in other countries, here in the US its called USPSA. Lots of people still call it IPSC here because it used to be called that but changed to USPSA several years ago. USPSA you don't have to be a member unless you want to at their Level 2 matches which are usually something like a regional championship match.

There are many rule differences between IDPA & USPSA. The big difference is the way you shoot a stage. IDPA tells you how to shoot the stage, you have to start at a certain place, you have a specific order in which you can shoot the targets, you have to use "cover" to shoot from and do reloads. USPSA you are given a prescribed shooting area, marked out by painted lines or wood or metal boxes. You have to stay with in that shooting area while shooting the stage. With in that prescribed shooting area you can shoot the targets in any order you want to. There is no "cover", and you can reload any where anytime you want to.

I have attached the results from the Puyallup IDPA match on the 30th.

Damon
dmonwai channel - YouTube

Attachments

• Puyallup IDPA 03-30.pdf
    16.4 KB · Views: 317

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR