Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Idiot journalist thinks Handgun laws need to be similar to Europes

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by JimmyS1985, May 29, 2012.

1. JimmyS1985

JimmyS1985 St.Louis Active Member

Richard Schiffman: Guns Now Kill More People Than Cars in 10 States

One of my favorite things to do in life, is go out in the middle of the Arizona desert, where no people, law enforcement or any one else in the world is there to piss on my parade, and blast a few beer cans and paper targets. Being able to do this allows me to absolutely love life and living for that matter. I love doing this, its the epitome of freedom in my opinion, I'm not hurting anyone else when I do this except for some aluminum and paper. Because SOME people misuse their firearms, therefore I should be classified as a dangerous armed felon in this "journalist's" opinion.

I'm pretty liberal, but don't get me wrong its people like the ones who wrote this article that really grind my gears. There are some people that always take the absolutely most liberal position on virtually everything, trying to change this country to a France or Germany. Some of the things, like citizen's access to highspeed rail, I support, but severely restricting handgun ownership, is something that makes me reach my boiling point.

When you got 319,000,000 people in a nation, some people are going to die prematurely. Thats a fact. So why piss on everyone else in the nations' parade to go into a gun store and buy a gun of THEIR choice, because some waste of food had no personal responsibility when it came to firearm ownership.

If it were up to this journalist we would cut off everyone's hands because hands can be used as murder weapons. This is just plain stupid, Obviously I am very angry at this assault on gun ownership, especially handguns because that is my gun of choice (I love my Beretta M9). I don't mean to make anyone else on here pissed off but I had to air my grievances somewhere and thought this forum would be ideal.

I am a regular member of Huffingtonpost.com thankfully these articles don't come up too often and I am quick to defend all guns, even semi-automatic sporting rifles, to a very high degree, even in an article that is completely against guns.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Must have changed a lot recently in Oregon (as they site in the article) in 2008 the death rate per 100,000 from firearms was 9.7 from automobiles 11.4 from heart disease 149.5

3. fd15k

fd15k Tigard,OR Well-Known Member

Comments to the article say everything that needs to be said.

Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Agreed! Some pretty funny yet accurate comments in there.

2 things: 1) the author mentioned the need for regulating handguns which is essentially limiting a freedom. It's ironic that where we need less regulation he's asking for more and yet where we need more regulation (banking industry) the Repub's say no way. I don't know who to vote for anymore. I guess there's no difference anymore between a Dem and Repub on personal liberties and freedoms. They all want to regulate something. Guess all that leaves are the extremes of both sides. Whoopieee! :rolleyes:

2) The article is just a rehash of the same old tired BS anti-gun crapola.

5. JimmyS1985

I vote a pretty much all democratic ballot, and I think we should be allowed to buy any small arms we want. Yes there are anti-gun democrats, and while I'm not quick to purge them from the party, like the Teaparty does Republicans who compromise with Democrats, I tend to not like that wing of the party at all.

I got corrected on here, when I called an AK-47 an assault rifle. I consider it an assault rifle, but the correct term around gun people is to call it a semi-automatic sporting rifle. Even if it does have a ton of firepower, I don't think it needs to be regulated because its not concealable, and shooting massacres with semi-automatic sporting rifles are few and far between.

Also the whole notion around the 2nd amendment was that the civilians could be armed, not only to form their own militias, but if the government DID get too overbearing and restricting freedoms on its citizenry, the citizens could overthrow the government if need be, and that would require firearms, even if they were very similar to the ones that the military carried. Personally though, I don't buy firearms because I feel like overthrowing the government, I just think it is one of the funnest things to do in life is to go out in the wilderness and blast beer cans.

The author would probably want me convicted as a dangerous felon because I do in fact, drink some alcohol when I go shooting, but I sure can't guzzle a bunch of Dr. Peppers to use for target practice like I can some St. Louis made Budweiser from our local brewery.

I've often said that one of the main reasons this country will never be invaded, atleast not since the war of 1812, is because so many of its citizens have access to good firearms, that an invading army would take massive casualties from our own citizens not even affiliated with the military, if it tried clearing out the suburbs from house to house and city block to block.

My grandparents take the most liberal position on virtually everything. They earned it, they are both over 90 years old, and grandpa helped this country win WWII (I remember once asking Grandpa if he should be driving if he is legally blind in one of his eyes to which he replied "I won the war! I can drive a car!" which was a damn good point and pretty much settled the issue right then and there.)

So the topic of guns came up and how they were against them, so I made this solid point that I found in an NRA brochure. "Somebody breaks into your house...you don't have a gun...How are you gonna shoot them?"

6. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

If you vote a straight (pick a party) ballot, you deserve the gun restrictions you get.

7. JimmyS1985

Actually the parties are so polarized, its pretty much that simple. With the right wing going far right of the political spectrum, its pretty easy to see who to vote for without doing any research. I think its a political strategy of the Republicans, if they go super far right on virtually every bill, then when the democrats tug them back, it will still be pretty far to the right of center when the bill is finally signed. Thats how we got that watered down Healthcare bill that was nothing like the healthcare systems of France Germany or Britain. It was either kill the bill, or go with the right of the House's bill that was left behind by the Senate.

8. nick80

nick80 Portland New Member

lmao