JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was getting ready to load some 380 ACP and wanted to see what powder I had that would work. I found a lb of HP38 and while researching found it was identical to Winchester 231. I have previously found that Winchester 296 and Hodgons 110 are identical - different names. I was wondering if there was a list of powders that had different names but were actually the same powder.

If I recall correctly, it's only Winchester and Hodgdon that have the same powder, but with different names.

Hodgdon owns Winchester powder, and had their own powder mixed close to Winchester burn rates and vice-versa before the two merged.

If I recall correctly, it's only Winchester and Hodgdon that have the same powder, but with different names.

Hodgdon owns Winchester powder, and had their own powder mixed close to Winchester burn rates and vice-versa before the two merged.
Exactly right. HP-38/W231, H-110/W296, H-414/W760, HS-6/W540

Although not even remotely the same, I have found that H414 and IMR4350 have many identical charge weights listed across several calibers (given the same bullet weight is used.)

Some of the "surplus" powders are supposedly named something else by their manufacturer but I don't have those memorized.

Since Hodgdon took over marketing Winchester powders, I've wondered why they've retained the practice of same powders under two different labels. But I've read that Hodgdon didn't outright "buy" the Win. brand. They are a distributor of Winchester powders under a licensing agreement. Could be the agreement doesn't allow Hodgdon to kill Win. products that are redundant to the Hodgdon product line.

Since Hodgdon took over marketing Winchester powders, I've wondered why they've retained the practice of same powders under two different labels. But I've read that Hodgdon didn't outright "buy" the Win. brand. They are a distributor of Winchester powders under a licensing agreement. Could be the agreement doesn't allow Hodgdon to kill Win. products that are redundant to the Hodgdon product line.
Interesting, that makes sense. I always assumed it might just be brand loyalty. Some people had always used W231 so would only buy that, whereas others were used to HP38 and would only buy that, even though they're the same powder.

In the business world though, your explanation is logical. If it's got the Winchester name on it, it's Winchester powder whether it was made by Hodgdon or not.

Interesting, that makes sense. I always assumed it might just be brand loyalty. Some people had always used W231 so would only buy that, whereas others were used to HP38 and would only buy that, even though they're the same powder.

In the business world though, your explanation is logical. If it's got the Winchester name on it, it's Winchester powder whether it was made by Hodgdon or not.
Actually, since Hodgdon closed their Goex plant, the only thing they "make" are labels for the powder containers. St. Marks manufactures all the ball powder and extruded powder is imported, mostly from Australia. Hodgdon is a distributor only.

The Olin Corp. has been very canny about retaining brand trademarks. They don't sell them, they license them. That way, they make money without doing anything. Olin has owned the Winchester trademark since 1931. They closed the arms factory in 1981, and every gun made since then with the Winchester name on it has been made under license. Olin doesn't have to bother with labor disputes, insurance, product liability, or materials shortages. They just sit back and rake in a percentage from each piece sold that says Winchester on it. Same with the canister powder situation. Olin still manufactures Winchester brand ammunition and markets it themselves.

If you go to the Olin corporate web site, there is a tab to Winchester Firearms, but it takes you to another site, the one in Utah managed by Browning. There is a one line reference to canister grade propellants being supplied by Hodgdon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top