JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying hard to come up with a plan regarding members who donate (or paid memberships) and companies who wish to advertise and/or sell their wares here on the board. The hosting costs are getting up there as I've had to upgrade the plan three times now, so it'd be really nice to offset some of the cost.

Members

I will not let this place become AR15.com-lite, with most membership features neutered unless you're a paying member. What I would prefer to do is recognize those who have donated and possibly give them some sort of additional perks, though I don't know what yet. One thing I'm definitely going to do is give them some sort of 'site supporter' graphic under their post count, which will reflect which 'level' of supporter they are depending on how much they donated. I was also considering the possibility of giving out pop3 email accounts so supporters could have <yourname>@northwestfirearms.com email addresses. Custom user titles have been disabled for new users for quite some time now, so that could be another feature, as well as permission to use the photo galleries. I'm just trying to think of ways to a) recognize those who support the site and b) give them a little 'extra' as a way to say thanks.

Businesses

I know this is still a small board (around 260 visits per day, 65-85 unique), so it doesn't make a bunch of sense to pay to sell or advertise here. I was thinking maybe similar to the member donations, business owners who post and/or advertise here would be 'supporting vendors' or something along those lines, for a very modest amount (maybe $25 per 6 months or something?). Again, I'm just throwing out ideas here. I believe this week I'll be ready to accept the first advertiser(s) for a banner ad at the top, again, for very reasonable rates. As the board grows and expands, the rates will be adjusted, but we're talking in the short term right now.

I'd really like to hear from both members and businesses that advertise here and get your input, so please let me know what your thoughts are on all of this.

Cheers,
Joey

Quick Idea...
first 100 people to donate a set amount get a Tag or Graphic.
( something along the lines of founding member, OG, Elder ,etc, etc, or there name will be bling'd out )

Something that will never be handed down again.. this will be something different than the subscription fees or other membership donations.

Quick Idea...
first 100 people to donate a set amount get a Tag or Graphic.
( something along the lines of founding member, OG, Elder ,etc, etc, or there name will be bling'd out )

Something that will never be handed down again.. this will be something different than the subscription fees or other membership donations.

Yeah "Charter members" I like that idea:s0155::s0155:

I like the charter member idea as well, definitely considering it :)

15 views and only 3 replies? I need input guys :D

I don't have any great input. It's nice to get some sort of recognition for contributing of course. As for added privileges, it's not a big deal for me.

That said-
Until you have enough supporting vendors to help pay the costs of keeping this thing up and running, I think it makes sense for only supporting members to be able to upload to a photo album. They are paying for it to be there, others are not. For now at least.

Anything that requires more space on your server or more time for you. Less private message storage for non supporting members, more for supporting members. Use of a signature picture. Etc.

It may be fun to do what r3v does with "the den" (I know, I'm not supposed to know about that ;) ). That's less of a monetarily contributing member privilege though.

I'll keep thinking on that.

How about if you donate enough you can have an animated avatar

How about a seperate section for supporting members only

I dont know how many use it yet but the chat could used for members only

I say all this as a rather new guy to forums and such some of this may have proven to be bad for a site but I am trying to learn:s0155:

As long as you aren't restricted from half the site like others I've been on, it's all good. Keeping with the theme of "perks" rather than "restrictions" will keep everyone happy.

Example - Everyone can get a base 1911, but if you want to spend the extra dough you can get one with nicer grips, sights, etc. At the end of the day you still have a 1911 and it's still as much fun to shoot. But for those that find it worth it, night sites are worth the extra money. In neither case are you hindered or feeling left out. As opposed to only getting a Glock if you don't pay (kidding kidding!!!).

Thanks for the input guys. Here's a rough draft of the perks chart so far, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Yes a special section where you can put items up for sale that all proceeds will go to the forum. ON some other forums I have sold stuff and the money goes the admin. when he gets the money I ship it on my dime ,,

Wow, that's really generous of you Hotwheelz. I might consider that in the future, but you might be the only one to do that ;)

Those are pretty good ideas.
I think that since the site is only 186 members right now, it might be a good way to offset your costs (and get more people to contribute on the front end) by offering a "Charter Member" status.

I would propose $25 per year with all the benefits of the "Platinum Supporter" listed above. This price would be locked in for life as long as it never lapses.
Charter Member label under the member's name.
This would cover your costs and people that buy memberships later would go under the chart above.

This would inspire current members to sign up now as a Charter Member when they have the chance.
Make it only available for a month or so if they don't jump on this once in a lifetime opportunity, then they miss out.

It would be a good way for the site to thank the founding members for their loyalty, and for making it what it is, and what it will become.

Alright guys, we're going to go with the Charter Member idea with two differences from coctailers suggestion. First, it's going to be $35/year as it's quite spendy providing all that space, the email, and the bandwidth. Second, the only difference between the Charter Membership and the Platinum is that Charter Members will have two entries into the monthly drawing instead of five. I'm really happy you suggested that Andrew, I like that idea a lot.

Sweetbeard, I like that idea as well. I'll try to impliment it as soon as possible.

I'm fairly certain everything is up, running, and ready to go. The link can be found at the top of the page under "Support The NWFA Community".

You might want to have dealers purchase a Platinum Membership, or if they are early enough, a Charter Membership to sell on the site as a dealer.

It might be cheaper for me to do the $2 per transaction idea, but I like the idea of being a founding member.

I wouldn't need any of the fancy stuff the other Platinum/Charter members get.
I would only use the Sigline and Avatar.

What do you think I should do if I want to sell on the site?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top