JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My cousins PPS40 was, in his words, a "jammomatic". He now carries a shield that he loves.

Granted that's one guys experience and i've heard plenty of anecdotes of Kahr's, particularly the CW series, being picky about ammo.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

My cousins PPS40 was, in his words, a "jammomatic". He now carries a shield that he loves.

Granted that's one guys experience and i've heard plenty of anecdotes of Kahr's, particularly the CW series, being picky about ammo.

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

'You go to war wit the gun you brought'
Make it a rifle.
and if your pistol don't feed HPs load it with FMJs.
That's why you carry a .9mm, right? Mag capacity?
PPL really over think this stuff.
My friend does not carry a Glock because it is pretty, he carries it because it always goes bang!

Thanks for considering me unreliable. But that doesn't change my opinion, or my friends opinon.

I've actually owned and used these guns. Here is an old photo I took of my Kahr PM9, my 9mm PPS, and my .40 S&W PPS.

I purchased the 9mm Walther PPS first, as that was the only caliber initially offered. I was so totally dissatisfied with my PM9, for all of the many reasons I stated earlier, that I had been looking for a pistol to replace it. I liked the Walther PPS so very much, that I then bought one in .40 S&W too, after it became available in that caliber. I ended up liking the .40 S&W more, so I eventually sold my 9mm PPS.

This photo also shows how compact the PPS is compared to the Kahr.

PPS3.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't know man. When it comes to single stack carry pistols i don't think Kahr or Walther are in the top two for reliability. As with any pistol, regardless of make or model, you have to extensively test the thing with the ammunition you plan to carry before relying on it.

I'm buying a CM45 tomorrow. If it's not reliable after the break-in period and i can't make it so i'll go another route.

You seen to be taking this discussion very personally Lance, it's almost like your chosen carry pistol is a part of your identity and any suggestion that there could be a different option that might work out better for someone else is a personal attack on you.

I think the PPS is a sexy beast and i really look forward to owning one someday, but for now, as i've held the thing in my hand and tested it in my pants pocket and coat pocket, the CM45 fits better for me right now.

You seen to be taking this discussion very personally Lance, it's almost like your chosen carry pistol is a part of your identity and any suggestion that there could be a different option that might work out better for someone else is a personal attack on you.

I think just the opposite is what is actually happening here. Everyone here seems to want to all gang up on me, and discount my experience with the PPS. I will stand behind my opinion of the pistol, even if everyone else here disagrees with me. I am relating MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these two pistols, and I have a right to my opinion based upon my experience just as much as everyone else here does.

I'm sorry if my opinion is different, but I have repeatedly explained in great detail why I feel the way that I do about these pistols. If you don't want to agree with me, that is fine. But I have good reasons why I am fond of the PPS, and do not care for polymer frame Kahrs.

I've since sent my Walther PPS .40 S&W to Robar Guns in Phoenix, and this is how it now looks:

pps55.jpg

I think just the opposite is what is actually happening here. Everyone here seems to want to all gang up on me, and discount my experience with the PPS. I will stand behind my opinion of the pistol, even if everyone else here disagrees with me. I am relating MY OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these two pistols, and I have a right to my opinion based upon my experience just as much as everyone else here does.

I'm sorry if my opinion is different, but I have repeatedly explained in great detail why I feel the way that I do about these pistols. If you don't want to agree with me, that is fine. But I have good reasons why I am fond of the PPS, and do not care for polymer frame Kahrs.

I've since sent my Walther PPS .40 S&W to Robar Guns in Phoenix, and this is how it now looks:

View attachment 113186

I don't have a problem with your opinion. But you continuously dismiss everyone else's opinion. Like your opinion and choices are somehow superior to everyone else that doesn't carry a pps.

I have owned multiple kahr pistols. Do I need to post a photo of each gun to price I have owned them? I currently own a pm9 and cw380. I like both of them. Do I need to post a pic of me shooting my friends pps 40 for you to accept that at least one person doesn't prefer it to a kahr? Stop being such a d!#k. Or stop coming across like one, if you aren't meaning to.

Nice looking guns. I like the two tone.

I don't have a problem with your opinion. But you continuously dismiss everyone else's opinion. Like your opinion and choices are somehow superior to everyone else that doesn't carry a pps.

Well again, I feel just the same as you do. I feel that folks here are all dismissing my opinion, as if it is somehow not valid for me to have it.

I still have my PM9 It is such a problematic and malfunctioning gun, that I have not wanted to sell it off to anyone. It was the most expensive version of the PM9 too, with the blackened stainless slide and night sights. So it was quite an expensive gun. When I spend that kind of money on a handgun, I have certain expectations that the gun is going to at least perform reliably.

I've been toying with the idea of putting it up for sale for just $175 for the Crimson Trace Laserguard that I have on it, and including the pistol with the laser for free. The Laserguard on it will fit any polymer frame 9mm or .40 S&W Kahr pistol.

ct_laser_PM9_close_on.jpg

Last Edited:
Well again, I feel just the same as you do. I feel that folks here are all dismissing my opinion, as if it is somehow not valid for me to have it.

I still have my PM9 It is such a problematic and malfunctioning gun, that I have not wanted to sell it off to anyone. It was the most expensive version of the PM9 too, with the blackened stainless slide and night sights. So it was quite an expensive gun. When I spend that kind of money on a handgun, I have certain expectations that the gun is going to at least perform reliably.

I've been toying with the idea of putting it up for sale for just $175 for the Crimson Trace Laserguard that I have on it, and including the pistol with the laser for free. The Laserguard on it will fit any polymer frame 9mm or .40 S&W Kahr pistol.

View attachment 113227

I'll take it. I've been looking for a black slide pm9 for a while. And thinking about picking up a ct laser. I'll mess with it and see if I can figure out the problem, since I have another pistol to swap parts from.

Worst case I get a ct laser and some more mags.

Last Edited:
A few final thoughts.

First, when you chime in on someone else's thread, say things with which other people differ, don't respect their right to differ with your opinion, and then make it out as if the purpose of the thread is somehow all about people ganging up on you, perhaps you need to reevaluate the logic of that progression.

Second, choosing a pistol you can actually afford is part and parcel of gun ownership. My wife and I make a pretty good living. I've had some pricey pistols. But I've discovered that in today's world of CNC machining, improved metallurgy, and the fact that there really are only a few innovative designs out there, most pistols are far more reliable than they've ever been in the past. So I've gone to mainly mid-level pistols that I trust and haven't seen much difference in my own experience since I did.

For the money, the Kahr value line of pistols are the best things on the planet for $400 and under. They differ from their more expensive variants only due to less slide scuplting, an engraved versus a roll-marked slide, conventional vs polygonal rifling (an advantage if you like to shoot lead for practice), and an MIM slide stop vs a milled one. None of those make a hoot's difference to most people.

The only reason most people have a problem with Kahrs is they don't understand how tight the tolerances are, they screw up the slide stop spring, and they don't practice with it. Are some picky on ammo? Sure. Might there be other guns that are picky on ammo that cost a lot more? Yep. I had a $1000 Sig 1911 that only liked a couple of hollow point rounds. So, guess what, I used the ones it would shoot reliably. I love Speer Gold Dots, but my famed Walther PPQ didn't. So I used something else. And for all the trouble you had with your PM9, did you ever send it back to Kahr? You don't mention that, as I recall. So maybe you expect every gun to run perfect out of the box. These are complicated tools that do amazing things like suffer thousands of internal explosions and almost supersonic movements and still keep working. One little thing can screw all that up. I had a high end S&W Pro Shop .357 revolver that locked up tighter than a drum on me the first time I shot it. The frame was just enough out of spec that when it heated up, there wasn't enough room for the cylinder to rotate within the frame and still have clearance for the rounds to pass through. Sent it in and they fixed it right up. So even a few pricey guns are lemons. Just the nature of the beast. But you don't shoot all the tigers just because one of them pops out of mom with five legs instead of four.

People argue Kahrs are so difficult to field strip. No, they're not. They're not the same as a Walther or a Glock or others, but they're just as easy to field strip as my amazing CZ P-01, probably the best gun I've ever owned, which uses essentially the same system as the Kahr in terms of having to align the slide and frame witness marks and pop the slide stop out. People also don't read the stupid manual on the Kahrs and learn the two most important things about them. You should use the slide stop/release to drop the first round and you should be careful when reinserting the slide stop pin to avoid bungling up the slide stop spring. You just have to be careful and pay attention. I've done it hundreds of times and never screwed it up yet. And then there's the complaints about the Kahr trigger. Lots of people shoot DAO revolvers like the LCR. The Kahr DAO trigger is basically a revolver trigger that's had a trigger job on steroids. It's buttery smooth and light, especially after it's been broken in, and is by far the best DAO trigger on a semi-automatic around. And the trigger is exactly the same on the value Kahr models as it is on the higher priced versions. No difference.

And I think that's enough. Other than that I would have snatched that PM9 up in a heartbeat for $175 if I'd been fast enough. That was just...not well thought out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top