JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This idea is not completely thought out, but it came to me last night and I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

Concealed carry laws (and open carry laws for that matter) are different through out Oregon. For example; Open Carry is legal in Oregon, but some cities have ordinances outlawing open carry. I know Salem doesn't allow it, and I'm pretty sure Beaverton doesn't either.

And it's not like there are signs along the road that tell you the rules as you go from one city to another.

So here was my thought.. What anyone find benefit to having an online map, like a google map, that listed the regs for our various regions. It wouldn't be that difficult to do. We just create a map and then everyone could go to your own region and see if the regs had been posted. If your area hadn't been covered then you add it. I don't know the google maps lingo but a simple tag that you could click on and open up over the city on the map would work. We'd want to include the statue number of course.

I understand that if you have a Concealed Carry license then it's irrelevant, but if you don't have one then it could make a difference... Depending on if your gun is on the front seat or in the trunk.

Anyway... just a thought.

Hard to keep up to date properly, since you'd have to basically look at every local law all the time. That's the problem with such inconsistency. Yeah, the big cities are easy - but I just found out Astoria has a no-open-carry law. How the eff was I supposed to know that without randomly hearing it?

Pretty much, short of having a forum member just happening to know, we'd have to have someone truly confirm each town's laws.

It would be good to have, of course, since right now it's just a "Oregon is open carry, except Portland, Beaverton, etc, etc, etc." list. I'd be willing to do some legwork, but for some cities, you probably can't look them up online, and it would fall to actually calling the local police, and hoping they can give you a correct answer. (The county sheriffs would probably be a better choice, since hopefully since they issue CHLs, they would know the laws - but again, no guarantee.)

Hard to keep up to date properly, since you'd have to basically look at every local law all the time. That's the problem with such inconsistency. Yeah, the big cities are easy - but I just found out Astoria has a no-open-carry law. How the eff was I supposed to know that without randomly hearing it?

Pretty much, short of having a forum member just happening to know, we'd have to have someone truly confirm each town's laws.

It would be good to have, of course, since right now it's just a "Oregon is open carry, except Portland, Beaverton, etc, etc, etc." list. I'd be willing to do some legwork, but for some cities, you probably can't look them up online, and it would fall to actually calling the local police, and hoping they can give you a correct answer. (The county sheriffs would probably be a better choice, since hopefully since they issue CHLs, they would know the laws - but again, no guarantee.)

Didn't know about Astoria either. Most of the city ordinances don't change too much once their implemented. I'd really like to see ORS 166.173 repealed so cities and counties can't regulate the possession of loaded firearms.

I agree. The thought was just that people who lived in their area, and knew what the regs were in their area, could post the ruling. If there was an area that no one lived in, and we didn't know the rule for that area, then it would just remain unlisted on the map.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top