JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just my $00.02 worth. I moved to SW Idaho from California last July and I love it for all the reasons I just could not stand Kalifornia any longer. In February I took a CCW class and went through all the fees and wait time to get my std CCW. Then this new law gets passed and while it is good (I think) there are some concerns. Foremost is the absence of any kind of training for a lot of people. The class I took was four hours of range time and was primarily tactical and scenario driven. It was put on by several retired sheriff deputies and I learned a lot even after shooting pistols for over thirty years and having a CCW for eight years in California.

There were several people in my class of about twenty that had never owned a pistol and in fact were shooting their new pistol for the very first time. There were a lot of people who had owned rifles and shotguns for hunting but were not pistol owners. It was eye opening to say the least.

I am all for a strong second amendment (life NRA) but carrying is a serious responsibility and I would hate to see people who have no training get in trouble with the law. You know the anti's and there are some in Idaho, are just waiting for an opportunity to scream at the top of their lungs. Hopefully it never happens.

As already pointed out, the CCW license eliminates any wait time, even five minutes because your information has already passed FBI scrutiny. If you are not buying a lot of handguns that is not a big perk and for most people that is the case. It does give you the right to carry in other states and that is a good thing. Am I completely comfortable with the new law, hmmm not sure about that.

I'll second northern Idaho. Moved to St. Maries from Salem, Oregon. Small town, USA - the kind of place I grew up in. Yet, there's a 24 hour IGA grocery store, a Les Schwab tire place, Ace Hardware, NAPA auto parts and what appears to be a be a decent little hospital. Just over an hour drive to Coeur d'Alene and Spokane if you need big city stuff.

Housing tends to be old and ugly but land is relatively cheap, at least compared to some places like Portland. Buy 5-20 acres and build something nice.

Permitless carry inside the corporation limits of any town or city only applies to residents of Idaho who are 21 or older. Anyone resident or non resident who is 18 and old and can legally possess a firearm can still carry outside the corporation limits without a permit/license. Idaho law has also change and those 18 can now obtain a permit on a shall issue basis. It will expire on their 21st birthday and then they can renew their permit without any additional requirements. The law becomes effective 7/1/16.

18-3302. Concealed Weapons
(20)
The sheriff of a county shall issue a license to carry a concealed weapon to those individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years except for the age requirement contained in section 18-3302K(4), Idaho Code, would otherwise meet the requirements for issuance of a license under section 18-3302K, Idaho Code. Licenses issued to individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one (21) years under this subsection shall be easily distinguishable from licenses issued pursuant to subsection (7) of this section. A license issued pursuant to this subsection after July 1, 2016, shall expire on the twenty-first
birthday of the licensee. A licensee, upon attaining the age of twenty-one shall be allowed to renew the license under the procedure contained in section 18-3302K(9), Idaho Code. Such renewal license shall be issued as an enhanced license pursuant to the provisions of section 18-3302K, Idaho Code.

We will be in South West Idaho September at the latest. We have been vacationing there for 10 years visiting friends and everything finally fell into place. We can hardly wait!

Hmmmm...makes me want to reconsider Idaho as a move to destination. Was leaning toward Florida for the climate, real estate and professional jobs in my industry. But Idaho does rule in the common sense department. Never know when things will change though. Look at WA and Oregon. Gun laws, illegals, etc.

On my way,ASAP!

Just need to convince my fiancé- she's slowly coming around

Im thinking Idaho Falls, but she might be better off in Boise.

Baby steps!

I can't speak to Idaho Falls, but Boise is turning blue. Has had a neo-liberal mayor for years who does all the typical "Virtue Signaling". You would do well to vet this state closely...it's not as red as you may think.

This Friday July 1st, new law abolishing the requirement in Idaho for a concealed carry permit takes effect-another reason I'm really glad I moved here(from Portland).

Houses around here are cheap by pugetropolis/portlandia standards and are selling in a week or less.
Hmmmo_O
People getting smart?
Not really much of an economy here unless you are specialized but for someone who is retired or works from home,it's perfect.
I'm just glad to out of all the people first then the politics bs

Lived in Ketchum for a while. If you like fishing, skiing, mountains, and staying in tip-top shape that's the place for you. My only problem with it was getting in and out. Back in the 90s you had to drive a long ways to get to a train or airport. Back when I was young and dumb it didn't matter, but now that I'm older and wiser (well, at least older) I need proximity to an airport and a good hospital. It would be N. Idaho if I had to choose, really easy to get to Spokompton if you need a hospital or airport to get you Seattle/Portland.

I guess I can leave my conceal carry permits at home until I leave Idaho (may need to leave for career reasons). Actually, now is the best time to get an Idaho CWP, whether resident or not a resident.. Unfortunately , I think you do have to apply in person to get one though, but the permit is good for 5 years and don't you want to come visit anyway? It is much easier and cheaper to get an Idaho CWP than a Utah CFP and your Idaho CWP is now recognized by more states in 2016 than a Utah CFP, even as an out of state Idaho permit. Then, there is the Enhanced Idaho CWP, which I hear is a pain in the neck to get, but is supposedly the most nationally recognized permit you can possess. Just food for thought.

Idaho is a great state, my only beef is it is hard place to make a living and the taxes are high (8% state income tax and 6% sales tax). Also, I would prefer living up in the Sawtooth mountains with the trees and mountains, rather than the hot and dry Treasure Valley . For a native Oregonian like me, the hot dry desert does take some getting use to. Also, Boise, itself, is getting plagued with the same liberalism as Portland and Seattle, so I also tend to worry for Idaho's future. I think literally half the state now are California residents, but most of the California transplants are of the "Good" variety. They are the ones who want to escape California, rather than bring California with them, except the ones who move to downtown Boise to bring their liberal, progressive (more like regressive), degenerate lifestyles with them.

North Idaho is great and has so much beauty, such as the immaculate lakes of Pend O'Reille, Coeur d'Alene, Hayden and Priest Lake. Then you have the Clark Fork river flowing all the way into the majestic and hidden Cabinet mountain range of Montana. THere are also the lesser known Selkirk mountains that start in North Idaho/NE Washington and get more and more grandiose as you travel up British Columbia. South Idaho hosts some of Idaho's most immaculate mountains, although they are rural and out of the population areas. These include the Sawtooth moutains, Bitterroot mountains, Salmon River and White Cloud mountains among many, many more. If you are into desert, the Owyhee mountain range and Crater of the Moon area are pretty spectacular. Idaho has some of the greatest, most remote and untouched wilderness in the lower 48 of the USA.

If you are into 1500+ yard range shooting and this is a hobby you are passionate about, then why the heck do you not live in Southern Idaho? :) They actually have organized 1500+ yard shoots here and see them advertised all the time on some of the local Idaho gun forums.

However, just bring a job with you, unless you are set with living in Boise and realize the Job market can be very low pay and finicky, depending on your profession.

You can bring your guns and leave your permits at home though, if you wish. :D

Last Edited:
Yesterday I was in Home Depot in CD'A-a guy was walking around open carrying with
a shoulder harness over his T shirt. Blew me away-I remember a discussion on this
board about the Portland Metro Home Depots not allowing concealed carry in their
stores.

Yesterday I was in Home Depot in CD'A-a guy was walking around open carrying with
a shoulder harness over his T shirt. Blew me away-I remember a discussion on this
board about the Portland Metro Home Depots not allowing concealed carry in their
stores.
Haha CDA HD would lose most of their customers:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top