JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in Boise ID and today I decided I would go buy a Glock 21. There's a local shop who had the SF model in stock and for a great price. Started filling out the paperwork, handed him my Idaho license and he asked me how long I've been a resident. Well I just got out of the Air Force and moved to Idaho from Washington State on 16 Nov. So he says he can't sell me any handguns until I've lived here for 6 months!

The thing that sucks is that now that I've surrendered my WA licesne and got an Idaho one, I can't buy a handgun in WA or ID for at least 6 months. I hate these residency laws! The fact that I have an Idaho license and live here should be enough.

I wish there was a local private party here selling one. Unfortunately NWF hasn't caught on in ID.

I live in Boise ID and today I decided I would go buy a Glock 21. There's a local shop who had the SF model in stock and for a great price. Started filling out the paperwork, handed him my Idaho license and he asked me how long I've been a resident. Well I just got out of the Air Force and moved to Idaho from Washington State on 16 Nov. So he says he can't sell me any handguns until I've lived here for 6 months!

The thing that sucks is that now that I've surrendered my WA licesne and got an Idaho one, I can't buy a handgun in WA or ID for at least 6 months. I hate these residency laws! The fact that I have an Idaho license and live here should be enough.

I wish there was a local private party here selling one. Unfortunately NWF hasn't caught on in ID.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong but I would look up the federal and state statutes to see if he really is correct to be sure. More than once I have heard an FFL state information that is incorrect.

Been trying to do a little research to see if this guy is right or not. Specifically how Idaho State Code defines "resident". The closest I've come is Title 36-202 (s) which is the Fish and Game code that defines "resident" as

"Resident" means any person who has been domiciled in this state,with a bona fide intent to make this his place of permanent abode, for a period of not less than six (6) months immediately preceding the date of application for any license, tag, or permit required under the provisions of this title or orders of the commission and who, when temporarily absent from
this state, continues residency with intent to return, and who does not claim any resident privileges in any other state or country for any purpose.

So I see where he is coming from but come on! I was getting ready to drop like $900 on the gun and accessories. I don't really have any close friends here yet that I could ask to go buy the gun.

for any license, tag, or permit required under the provisions of this title

I don't see how a residency law pertaining to licenses, tags, or permits applies to purchasing a firearm unless it states so somewhere else under ID state law. I would all a couple of other dealers and see if they tell you the same thing. If they don't, go buy from them.

for any license, tag, or permit required under the provisions of this title

I don't see how a residency law pertaining to licenses, tags, or permits applies to purchasing a firearm unless it states so somewhere else under ID state law. I would all a couple of other dealers and see if they tell you the same thing. If they don't, go buy from them.

Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't imagine that "resident" would be defined differently within the state code.

I just called another shop and told them my issue. They said that they don't care how long I've been in the state as long as I have an Idaho drivers license. While they don't stock the Glock 21SF, they'll order it for me and it will be the same price as the other guys.

Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch, but I don't imagine that "resident" would be defined differently within the state code.

I just called another shop and told them my issue. They said that they don't care how long I've been in the state as long as I have an Idaho drivers license. While they don't stock the Glock 21SF, they'll order it for me and it will be the same price as the other guys.

Problem solved. If it were me, after I purchased the pistol at the other store, I would go to the store that turned you down, show them the receipt and say have a nice day. :s0087: But then that's just me. ;)

Problem solved. If it were me, after I purchased the pistol at the other store, I would go to the store that turned you down, show them the receipt and say have a nice day. :s0087: But then that's just me. ;)

Actually, I just might do that. Turns out, the two shops are only a half mile away from each other.

Just keep in mind that the first gun shop more than likely would have LOVED to sell you that G21SF, but due to their (mis)understanding of state law (as well as any Federal law), they are just trying to keep it on the straight and narrow an not get into the soup and risk their FFL... once you know the FOR SURE deal on what ID law says, maybe go back and educate them (since they are only a half-mile away) so it doesn't happen to the next veteran who decides to ETS to Idaho. (BTW- Montana is looking better to me all the time!!) :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top