JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I finally decided to give in and try for elk next year in Idaho. Even though it's getting harder and harder to find elk around here, I was still able to scout and locate some bulls, and it's a bucket list item for me.

This year's cost was $154 for the license and $416 for the tag. So $570 all in.

Next year, the license goes up to $185 and the tag is $652, so $837 for the chance at an elk. My brother was lamenting the fact that previously Idaho was the cheapest Western state for non-residents to hunt elk, so this will make him happy.

Not so much for me. I don't think I can justify that sort of cost. Especially if this winter is a bad one and herd numbers are even further reduced for next season.

I feel the pain. I grew up there and go back to visit family, but things are changing such that I really have to think whether I want to pay those rates to hunt. Particularly for a general tag.

Not only did they go way up in price, but the way it reads to me; your deer tag is good for one game management unit only! Guess we'll be driving through Idaho on our way some somewhere else. We'll stop on the way back through and visit family.

That's not that far off from Oregon's non resident license and tags. My brother and his son and friends hunt a spot in eastern Oregon. Good spot, several elk and numerous deer in the last few years. A little more than I want to spend, I guess I could go down and be the camp cook.

I think some of you just need to look at all the states and see how much non resident tags are. It's all pretty comparable.
Unless you go to Cali which I think non resident elk tag is 1500.

I don't mind the price hike. I thought that it should've gone up several years ago, as Idaho State doesn't pay for the the IDFG out of their general fund, they are self-funded, and have a wolf issue to deal with, thanks to the Feds, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife dumping them there in the '90's. My complaint is with the new rule to only hunt one single GMU for deer. I've got a couple biologist friends/relatives that I need to ask about the "why's" of this new ruling.

That's not that far off from Oregon's non resident license and tags. My brother and his son and friends hunt a spot in eastern Oregon. Good spot, several elk and numerous deer in the last few years. A little more than I want to spend, I guess I could go down and be the camp cook.

I like elk camp enough that when I could no longer tramp the woods I still went for the joy of the camp. Until my buddy's extensive family with their partying all night and their boom box during morning coffee finally got to me.

The "whys and wherefores" are that they ultimately want everyone to only "go to the grocery store" for their food and lose those hunting/fishing skills, so they'll force you there by increasing the "pay to play" entry fee.

Priced me out a long time ago. And I'm tired of buying a fishing license only to use it for one outing. Brownstain can kiss my azz!!!

I like elk camp enough that when I could no longer tramp the woods I still went for the joy of the camp. Until my buddy's extensive family with their partying all night and their boom box during morning coffee finally got to me.

Priced me out a long time ago. And I'm tired of buying a fishing license only to use it for one outing. Brownstain can kiss my azz!!!

I never understood why some people would drag along all the noise making gear, when the entire idea is to leave all that behind and "tune in" to your natural surroundings....

I never understood why some people would drag along all the noise making gear, when the entire idea is to leave all that behind and "tune in" to your natural surroundings....

Apparently that is how younger people roll today. I was also amazed at one of his grandkids bringing their 2yr old to elk camp!!! :eek::rolleyes:

Apparently that is how younger people roll today. I was also amazed at one of his grandkids bringing their 2yr old to elk camp!!! :eek::rolleyes:

Barbaric!! :eek:

Nothing like loud chillun's and their poopy diaper smell to set a relaxing atmosphere in deer/elk camp..... now, if mama is still publicly breastfeeding, that could be an interesting party trick.

:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Barbaric!! :eek:

Noting like loud chillun's and their poopy diaper smell to set a relaxing atmosphere in deer/elk camp.

:rolleyes:

And what do ya do when it's cigar and pass the bottle time??? And no saying "phuck" or "c***" either!! Might as well go home... which I did... just pulled up stakes in the middle of the day w/o even saying goodbye... friend was not pleased. Too frickin bad.

And what do ya do when it's cigar and pass the bottle time??? And no saying "phuck" or "c***" either!! Might as well go home... which I did... just pulled up stakes in the middle of the day w/o even saying goodbye... friend was not pleased. Too frickin bad.

Not a huge drinker.... no handling of firearms if you do drink...

No F-bombs?! :eek:

Now you've just gone TOO FAR!! o_O:s0118:

:D

Not a huge drinker.... no handling of firearms if you do drink...

No F-bombs?! :eek:

Now you've just gone TOO FAR!! o_O:s0118:

:D

I'm not supposed to drink due to medical schit.... but have been known to take a pull when the bottle is passed. Which is only at night around the campfire. We might be heathens, but we still have all our teeth!!!

Yeah, loud music, wives/sisters/gf wearing kaftans or mumus, and small children, no complaining about wimen, no talk of female conquests, no dirty jokes... why bother???

Thank the developers and politicians for the increased people (hunters) population proclaiming a geographic nirvana. Lots of road hunters and few walkers. Those hunting shows and big box stores did a wonderful job of ramping up the 'sportsman' hordes (head hunters not gathers). Add in the increased traffic (road kills), people and pets (chasing game) and list goes on. The critters in the woods do adapt and become more 'selective' in where and when they are out and about! It's not the 'government' it's PEOPLE! Increased fees for anything is just another form of a 'sin' (alcohol, tobacco usage) tax!

R.I.P.

The best friend and hunting buddy I referenced in this thread caught Covid/Delta at family elk camp near Bend this year and passed away two weeks later.

I'll miss him a lot!!!

Boom box? Time to employ the medium velocity, small caliber, sound suppressor. (Read that as sound eliminator.)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top