JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Caveman.... You got 'till the end of May, bring your net and lots of coolers!

Idaho Opens "No Limit" Kokanee Fishing on North Fork Clearwater River

February 15, 2018 by North 40 Outfitters.

No-Limit-Kokanee-Fishing-on-North-Fork-Clearwater-River.jpg

Here's a press release from Idaho Department of Fish and Game announcing an opportunity for anglers to "salvage" kokanee salmon that are being flushed out of Dworshak Reservoir and into the North Fork Clearwater River near Orofino.

According to Joe Dupont, regional fisheries manager for Idaho's Clearwater region, flows from the dam are expected to increase again next week, meaning more of these very tasty fish are going to be available. The "salvage" season begins immediately.

Due to this unique flush of kokanee anglers can keep as many of these salmon as they ant. Anglers can take them by rod and reel, with dip nets, or with their hands if they choose. Note: steelhead and other gamefish can not be targeted with dip nets. The salvage season runs through May 31, 2018.

Dupont said that the kokanee can be abundant at times, meaning in spurts, while at other times there aren't any present. In his press release Dupont said, "I guess what I'm saying is don't expect to rush up there and fill buckets full of fish. However, if you are i the area you may want to check it out. Often a good indicator that a lot of kokanee are (present) is when you see a bunch of seagulls flying over the water.

Caveman.... You got 'till the end of May, bring your net and lots of coolers!

Idaho Opens "No Limit" Kokanee Fishing on North Fork Clearwater River

February 15, 2018 by North 40 Outfitters.

View attachment 436093

Here's a press release from Idaho Department of Fish and Game announcing an opportunity for anglers to "salvage" kokanee salmon that are being flushed out of Dworshak Reservoir and into the North Fork Clearwater River near Orofino.

According to Joe Dupont, regional fisheries manager for Idaho's Clearwater region, flows from the dam are expected to increase again next week, meaning more of these very tasty fish are going to be available. The "salvage" season begins immediately.

Due to this unique flush of kokanee anglers can keep as many of these salmon as they ant. Anglers can take them by rod and reel, with dip nets, or with their hands if they choose. Note: steelhead and other gamefish can not be targeted with dip nets. The salvage season runs through May 31, 2018.

Dupont said that the kokanee can be abundant at times, meaning in spurts, while at other times there aren't any present. In his press release Dupont said, "I guess what I'm saying is don't expect to rush up there and fill buckets full of fish. However, if you are i the area you may want to check it out. Often a good indicator that a lot of kokanee are (present) is when you see a bunch of seagulls flying over the water.

:s0101: Thanks for this brother!!!
:s0001::s0001::s0001::s0001:
By any method possible???:s0010::s0010::s0112:
I've got to get the dope from my Kokanee forums on this, they will share with the Caveman.;) I'll be, stocked up on bait, loading the camper and be ready to go quickly.
20150827_131755_002.jpg

20160704_183606.jpg

My office (er dance floor):p:p:p
20150929_075443.jpg

I guess I won't be needing the three Cannon electric DR's in the Clearwater just a long net, eh?:)

Last Edited:
Hey cave man! So make sure to notify your Idaho buddy on when to meet you at the lake over here.
Also look at duck valley. It's got killer trout fishing. Early summer before algae. Use corn. And worm.

Hey cave man! So make sure to notify your Idaho buddy on when to meet you at the lake over here.
Also look at duck valley. It's got killer trout fishing. Early summer before algae. Use corn. And worm.

Thanks for the tip on duck valley, might I need to bring my trusty 870 just in case? lol

Arggg matey, I'll be needing a new crew once I uproute & head East.;)

I need a place semi close to a good Kokanee lake, any advice?

about 50 years ago my folks used to spend a lot of time in the Cascade/McCall area for such creatures....don't know the recent catch there though.

As far as Orofino goes, the area is simply gorgeous. PS--->the official high school mascot is named after local state hospital. The Orofino Maniacs. And they've managed to fight off renaming it for nearly a century

Last Edited:
Sad to say that the whole country will be like the west coast and North East coast before long unless something changes really quick .Pr Probably should start with the schools the libral indoctrination of are kids is feeding this B.S.

Sad to say that the whole country will be like the
don't think I can agree on this generalization, at least not in my own lifetime....
many areas remaining in 'feral Idaho' are not so easily paved. The .gov structures are staffed by people who largely grew up in circumstances that gave them experience outside the plush flat lands. Many of the regions are just too small to support in any fashion, much population growth. Extremes of weather and season and very limited community resources tend to filter out certain elements as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top