Idaho has a draconian anti-self-defense law.

Discussion in 'Defensive Carry & Self Defense' started by JonBailey1964, May 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LaserMan

LaserMan
    Eugene, OR

What bothers me most about this is the "desk 30 feet away" - that's one HUGE office! Maybe that's a typo or maybe it's an embellishment, either way, it takes credibility away from the rest of the story.

2. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

It's a story related by someone I trust to have been telling the truth. The guy in the story was a big shot CEO of a tech firm. I think it happened in Nevada, but I can't be sure. Anyway, he often worked at home and had a huge office.

Hope that helps ease your doubts regarding credibility. Usually if I make stuff up, it's fairly obvious.

albin25 likes this.
  3. PaulB47

PaulB47
    Hillsboro

I suspect most people think cops are their friends, which is why they blab. Cops are trying to put your bubblegum in jail. Don't give them what they need to do that. Even if those particular cops mean no harm to you, they still have to report, and you may end up facing a prosecutor with political aspirations (they don't move up by letting people off).

Aero Denezol and mjbskwim like this.
  4. JonBailey1964

JonBailey1964
    Boise, ID

I don't imagine politically-motivated prosecutors in red pro-gun Idaho would MOVE UP by hammering well-intentioned armed people who defending themselves against home intruders especially when forced entry was committed either!

5. Hang-Man

Hang-Man
    Central Oregon

Defending against Intruders are one thing, then after you defend yourself you have to turn around and defend yourself with the COPS, NOT!! Talk to the Police, Be Open, Inviting, Pour out your heart, NO WAY, just say "LAWYER" and keep your dang Mouth SHUT. This Isn't Mayberry and there never was a Mayberry.

6. revjen45

revjen45
    Snohomish County

1) Review the Miranda caveats and note the absence of exceptions for factual innocence. Whether you did or did not in fact commit a crime anything you say will be used to prove that you did.
    2) The cops pretty much have carte blanche to shoot dogs, peons, etc. and they keep their mouths shut until they get a lawyer. We the Peons have no equivalent to Garrity rights.
    3) The cops, prosecutors, and everybody else in the "justice" system gets paid for putting people in prison. "Justice" has nothing to do with it. They don't get paid for anything having to do with the legal fictions about "justice" (whatever that means anyhow).
    4) The doctrine of Presumption of Innocence is just a legal fiction in the Real World, having no relevence to the situation you would find yourself in.
    5) When you kill a malefactor you have deprived the "justice" system of a source of income for his/her/its lifetime and that has to be made up for, at least in part by what they plan to do to you.
    6) Do a search for "police interrogation techniques." It is based on convincing you to that only bad guys "plead the 5th." If you are a law abiding person your dealings with the law have been limited and you have been taught to think LE is you friend. The cops do this every day and they are good at what they do, i.e. convincing the gullible, the stupid, and the honest that a confession (and make no mistake - anything you say is a confession) is in their own best interests. They are good enough at it to convince even other cops who find themselves caught in the jaws of the legal industry.
    7) Given the above, you shoot ONLY when the only thing worse than shooting is not shooting. Then shut up until you talk to your lawyer.
    DISCLAIMER: I am not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and I avoid dealing with the minions of Leviathan like the plague.

7. Jerry

Jerry
    Vancouver, WA

8. RingingEars

RingingEars
    Idaho

The most important thing to keep in mind in any state you live in is that you have the God givin right to protect yourself and your family even if it means prison time. Someone who breaks into your home that is not invited to be there forfeits their right to answer to why they are there...

9. sigmadog

sigmadog
    Spokane area
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

While I don't disagree with you, I wouldn't go with that as Plan A

wired and Lilhigbee like this.
  10. Aero Denezol

Aero Denezol
    Salem

I've a friend who experienced a break-in last year, which fortunately ended well. The would-be intruder had been shacking up w/ the neighbor's wife whenever the neighbor was gone for work... I guess this guy was so drunk he mistook my buddy's townhouse for the neighbors, and just let himself in. Anyway, she came over the next morning apologized profusely, asked everyone to please keep it quiet. Something to think about if you live in an area where all the houses look the same.

My understanding of the law in Oregon is you cannot use deadly force to defend property, only to defend your own life, or the life of someone else, or to stop someone from committing a violent felony, e.g., blowing up a building, setting fire to a crowded theater, etc.

All that being said, I like the simple approach of saying: "LAWYER", stfu, and spend a few nights in jail. Nobody should trust the system to give them a fair shake, or see things through their eyes. The legal system is not built on logic. If it was, we wouldn't need lawyers at all.

RingingEars likes this.
  11. Argonaut

Argonaut
    Weiser

The Sheriff is my best friend here........when we first bought the ranch, before we moved in (and knew the Sheriff) someone came up my 1/4 mile drive and stole a truck load of alfalfa. I called the Sheriff and they sent a deputy out. I explained to her that you don't come up my driveway by mistake........and someone is liable to get shot.........her response "I would have shot them" and after getting to know everyone here it would have been OK. The Gov is very supportive of people defending themselves (I know him too). He signed into law the bill that did away with concealed weapon laws in the state allowing anyone (not a felon) to carry any time. Many times these laws are subject to the interpretation of the powers to be. That being said, if I lived in Moscow (Idaho) or in Boise.....the 2 most evil liberal counties in Idaho.....you might have a problem. Not so much the rest of the state.

sigmadog likes this.