JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Interesting article that seems very wasteful at first glance.... anybody on the ground in Idaho with first hand knowledge?

It also seems very hypocritical that a college graduate student can head up a study where this is allowed.

Couldn't they issue extra tags that people would pay money for to accomplish the same outcome?

That being said I return to my usual politicians and unionized government employees are a crime gang. While the uninformed say it isn't so , I pay attention.

I don't understand what they think they accomplished. Reading the article, they killed "way less than 1%" of the region's population. So you're telling me that by killing 1 out of every 100 elk, there was a meaningful and measurable reduction in "property damage?" I call BS big time. This is just a way to justify their employment and probably hold a case for further pay raises they feel entitled to

Well, I won't be spending any money to hunt/ fish in Idaho......more like IdaNo!
So, we can blame the private property owners? If so, then why don't they do what the UK does, to deter foxes and likely now extinct wolves, farmers used automatic shotgun blanks in machines to scare pest, predators. Would cost a lot less than $1.5 million in damage claims for about 20 property owners and no life lost for elk.

As a farmer back east, when the deer would eat my garden, I simply respond, "I'll get you in hunting season," while rocking my fist.

Why not just hand out more tags and extend the season. Why slaughter them instead of allowing people to hunt them?

Bureaucrats! :oops:

They probably didn't issue tags because they needed dietary sampling from the critters. They may also be doing some gene work, but I can't imagine what reference they'd have for that.
As much as I'd like to assume that an extended season open to night hunts with more tags issued would have done the same, I feel like the data would be less credible. Partially because not all of the hunters would focus on elk that are damaging property, which seems to be the core focus of the research. Although the broodstock program has been a success here in Oregon, but what do I know.

Must have been nice for those guys hunting tho... going out with NVD and hunting in the name of "science"...
:rolleyes:

Yeah why not allow people to sign up for a "wild food bank"
Man I'd jump at the chance to get a free elk for meat. They can euthanize it, Then I'll come in and dispose of it!
Heck I'd be more than happy to pay a fee for the meat as a donation to the fish and game

I don't understand what killing them has to do with a study about how to haze/ scare them off. Obviously killing them does that... why do they need to kill over 200 to prove the point?

How is it that our governments will spend to justify the reduction of wild animals and completely ignore the explosive increase of our own species? About 1959, I recall there the US population (humans) was about 160 million. Today it's about twice that. Using the Idaho elk logic, in time, if enough folks complain about people-crowded streets, neighborhoods, schools, jails, etc., then the government will have to form the Bureau of Human Population Reduction (BuHPR). We have convinced ourselves that "native" or indigenous people have the right to special treatment, so what about the native animal populations? After all, we humans encroached on their backyards. Is that why the governments deny the carrying of firearms to wild animals? And...speaking of "wild", what's more wild than the human race? Sunday morning, just awoke and haven't had my coffee yet......and, oh yes...I am a born-here Native American and proud to be a Scottish American too! LUCY, DAMMIT...WHERE'S MY COFFEE?

OK....... this thread derailed quickly.

I was wondering if anyone in Idaho has any first hand knowledge of this situation?

Is the group that's opposing them (Idaho Wildlife) a group of hunters or tree huggers? I would love to hear that hunters in that state are throwing a fit.

OK....... this thread derailed quickly.

I was wondering if anyone in Idaho has any first hand knowledge of this situation?

Is the group that's opposing them (Idaho Wildlife) a group of hunters or tree huggers? I would love to hear that hunters in that state are throwing a fit.

This will answer your second question: Idaho for Wildlife - Home

Whens the last time the govmt Actually fixed* anything other than their own expansion and perpetuation. Or even "unfixed" anything that no longer, or more to reality, never did work. I think the percentage of "positive fixes" ever happening are measured to the right of the decimal.

* (that aligns with my belief in the Constitution enhanced with fiscal and moral conservatism)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top