JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving to Idaho from CA in two weeks and will have to give up my CA CCW which is currently good in ID. ID is gun friendly, but I was surprised that Canyon County has a process for obtaining a basic (not the enhanced) CCW license. Looks like any evidence of training will do (NRA, tactical pistol class, ...). Is this typical of ID counties? It's a bit surprising since the state has permitless carry for folks over 21, and I'm way, way over 21 by like 1/2 century.

IIRC the requirements are the same for any county in Idaho.

I would suggest going for a class that will enable you to obtain the enhanced permit as it's honored in more states. The standard permit is not honored by washington state.

For years we needed a Utah permit in addition to the standard Idaho permit to go armed in washington.:rolleyes:

I don't know if the PRC required any legal training to obtain a permit IMHO the training provided in the Idaho classes is well worth the time and money.

When we settled in Idaho I took the classes for the Idaho and Utah permit (could have challenged the class as a USMC vet.) on the Idaho however my wife was more comfortable taking the class with me there, as I said well worth the effort.

Last Edited:
Can't get an enhanced permit until I've been a resident for 6 months and I have several certs that will get me the basic permit. I'm just a bit surprised that counties can have their own procedures. No big deal as getting a license in California included 8 hours of training, a 20 round practical test for each of the three handguns on the license , a 500 question MMPI test, the usual background investigation (NICS) and an interview with a psychologist. At least I lived in a county where I could get a license! Oh, and I had to get references.

Interesting, I learned something. Now I see where the 6 month wait comes from.
Section 18-3302K – Idaho State Legislature
Looks like you may be able to get a non resident enhanced permit prior to moving here and likely been able to convert it to a resident permit. I doubt that would be an option now with the time window you stated. May still be worth a try as currently you should still be eligible for a non resident.

I do believe upon obtaining you ID DL you are considered a resident and i believe you will discern the six month requirement vanishes per se.

Only other stumbling block would be currency of your 'training' course(s).

Yes that is standard criteria in some CA counties away from the hustle & bustle of big city oversight.

I do believe upon obtaining you ID DL you are considered a resident and i believe you will discern the six month requirement vanishes per se.

Only other stumbling block would be currency of your 'training' course(s)......
Would be nice if the 6 months didn't apply, but we're not much for traveling in any event. In Canyon County or the basic license past training (NRA, tactical, ...) would be needed and I have plenty of that. They would accept the absolutely minimal actual training cert for a CA CCW, but not the license itself.

Only other stumbling block would be currency of your 'training' course(s).

Yes that is standard criteria in some CA counties away from the hustle & bustle of big city oversight.
Good luck getting a driver's license over here in Idaho at this point in time.

We have been to the DMV three times now. The first two the wait was eatimated to be over four hours, and if that four hours gets into the cutoff time, they tell you to go home.

So we decided to go over to the little DMV in Emmet before they open, and we found a line of wpprox fifteen people standing by the door.

We went inside and they had one lady doing licenses and three standing around at the vehicle reg desks...and none of them would step in and help. At this point we had waited close to 45 min and she was not close to being done with the first customer. The reason? Thier new system is screwed up and she was on the phone with tech support most of the time....all this to do one freaking DL application.

We did the math and 15 x approx 1 hour meant we would never get our turn....

:oops:

Yup. Nampa has been sending people to Marsing so our (formerly) nice little DMV is just like Emmett now. I have a workaround but I'm not sharing it with anybody:D.

getting a license in California included 8 hours of training, a 20 round practical test for each of the three handguns on the license , a 500 question MMPI test, the usual background investigation (NICS) and an interview with a psychologist. At least I lived in a county where I could get a license! Oh, and I had to get references.

:eek::eek::eek:

Would be nice if the 6 months didn't apply, but we're not much for traveling in any event. In Canyon County or the basic license past training (NRA, tactical, ...) would be needed and I have plenty of that. They would accept the absolutely minimal actual training cert for a CA CCW, but not the license itself.

If you're not traveling outside of idaho your Idaho drivers license will provide proof of residency and you will be covered by Idaho's "constitutional" carry law.
State of Idaho
As of July 1, 2016, Idaho statute allows residents 21 years of age, not disqualified from having a permit, to carry a concealed firearm statewide without a permit. Permitless carry is already legal outside of city limits for individuals 18 or older, and open carry is currently legal within city limits.

All that training completed within the last year, oh wait + six months lag for residency...18-3302K(4)(c)

If you're not traveling outside of idaho your Idaho drivers license will provide proof of residency and you will be covered by Idaho's "constitutional" carry law.
State of Idaho
As of July 1, 2016, Idaho statute allows residents 21 years of age, not disqualified from having a permit, to carry a concealed firearm statewide without a permit. Permitless carry is already legal outside of city limits for individuals 18 or older, and open carry is currently legal within city limits.

That's the way the law reads, but the county sheriff's website reads differently:

• You will need to fill out the Concealed Weapons Application pdf.png . This must be completed at the Driver's License building.
  • We will copy your firearms training documentation for our files. *A list of approved firearms instructors can be obtained at the Driver's License Office*
  • Your fingerprints will be taken.
  • Bring a valid form of identification. A state issued driver's license or identification card is preferred.
  • Initial application fee is due at the time of the application.
  • Background checks take approximately 2-3 months.
  • We will contact you by mail advising if you have been approved or denied. If approved, you will be notified of the date your permit will be issued.
  • An issue fee is due at the time your permit is issued.

Now the intro paragraph reads "as of April 1, 2005" so out of date, but when I spoke with the DMV they still require proof of some form of "training". Not a big deal, but strange given the law. The biggest hangup might be actually getting a DL and I'm reluctant to use my CA DL and CCW in the interim since I would no longer be a CA resident. It's just going to be strange not carrying since I'm a 16/7 guy, only taking the gun off when I sleep.

Last Edited:
The constitutional carry Butch signed into law is effective statewide contact the local Sheriff's office and / or Idaho state police office for clarification.
I personally would not hesitate to carry openly or concealed anywhere in the state with the exception of restricted areas (courthouse, etc.) with or without a permit. My only reasons for maintaining an enhanced permit are for the very few additional places it allows me to legally carry, such as college properties and additional states. I think some of the information you are finding is out of date. I would also suggest contacting one of the training facilities in your new county, they will be current in the laws as they apply to the ccw rules.
I recognise that you have had previous training however I would still recommend taking a state recognised class. FWIW, I had been licensed / permitted for many years prior to moving to Idaho. The facility I used in Post Falls Id provided me with a lot of insight into the laws of Idaho. They also provide free expert witness services to those that have completed their program if needed, that in itself could be well worth the price of admission. To the best of my knowledge you do not need to take training in your country of residence.

...I recognise that you have had previous training however I would still recommend taking a state recognised class. ...
Of course! The enhanced license process accepts training within the prior 12 months so I'm going to sign up for an 8 hour class early December. My wife and I took Andrew Branca's California-specific SD/HD law class about a year ago; best $175 dollars (for an 8 hour class) I've ever spent related to shooting. I could have stayed glued to my seat for another 8 hours.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top