JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
http://magicvalley.com/news/local/g...cle_0c7baeda-ad65-11e4-aead-973c44d3b882.html

BOISE (AP) | Idaho residents would be able to carry concealed weapons without a permit under a new bill introduced by the House State Affairs Committee on Thursday.

The legislation, dubbed the "Constitutional Carry" bill, would not affect enhanced permits like those required to carry concealed weapons on college and university campuses, according to Greg Pruett with the Idaho Second Amendment Alliance.

"It won't change anything that was already passed last year," he said.

Democratic Rep. Elaine Smith from Pocatello raised concern that the bill did not require any formal training to carry a weapon. Pruett responded that Idaho residents are generally very responsible with their guns.

"Who decides when a law abiding citizen is trained enough to defend themselves?" he asked. "I don't think any of us — whether that's the legislators, the sheriffs or other citizens — have the right to tell someone when they are qualified to defend their life."

The panel voted along party lines to introduce the bill, with the four Democrats voting no.

The bill comes one month after a northern Idaho woman was killed by her 2-year-old inside a Wal-Mart after the boy took the gun out of his mother's purse.

The accident brought national attention and once again raised concerns about concealed weapon laws. Concealed weapons are a part of everyday life in Idaho's casual gun culture.

Five other states — Alaska, Arkansas, Arizona, Vermont and Wyoming — have enacted similar legislation to Pruett's bill. Vermont has never required a permit for concealed carry. Alaska instituted a Constitutional Carry law in 2003. Arizona, Arkansas and Wyoming have joined within the past five years.

The state will continue to issue concealed weapons permits so that people can carry concealed weapons in other states.

Pruett said that lawmakers shouldn't expect more violent crime because of the bill.

"I would challenge all of you to go the states that have Constitutional Carry already and find instances where those things are happening," Pruett said.

Currently, Idaho's elected officials are allowed to carry a concealed weapon without a permit.

"Idaho citizens want to be part of that exception," Pruett said. "They feel that the second amendment is their permit, and they shouldn't have to get permission to defend themselves."

Last year, Idaho lawmakers killed legislation that would have removed the special privilege for state elected officials.

The bill was introduced after former Rep. Mark Patterson, R-Boise, had his concealed weapon permit revoked for not revealing an attempted rape conviction from decades earlier. But under Idaho law, Patterson could continue carrying a concealed gun without a permit because he was a state legislator.

Lawmakers will consider the bill at a full hearing in the coming weeks.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Have been visiting/scouting out places to live/move to in Idaho for a couple of years now due to the war on guns in Oregon and other things.
Was in Lewiston last weekend, home of Speer and CCI. Nice town, didn't see any guys begging for money, graffiti, transient camps or bums congregating in the parks and public spaces.

A paper mill on the Clearwater River gave off a slight sauerkraut like odor when in the old section of downtown that some people can't tolerate.
To me Lewiston was like a breath of fresh air though compared to the Eugene area! And I'm not alluding to the smell from Weyerhaeuser in Springfield or the Kingsford charcoal plant either!

BTW, crossing back in to Clarkston WA. I did see a scraggly beggar holding a sign just after coming off the bridge so perhaps they're all over but not in any sizable numbers yet there! Maybe they stay on the WA side??

Why don't they want to control the criminals who break laws every day and leave the law abiding citizen alone?
Bummer that we now have to fight to keep our rights and Kudos to those lawmakers who will fight to bring em back!!!!!!:)

I was born and raised in Idaho, Big part of why I dont fit in Seattle very well. I hope to move back someday. I just fit better there, more like minded people.

We won't be seeing any pro-gun Bills on the table like that here in Oregon any time soon. We are in a progressive death spiral at the moment.
Not saying don't do all you can to stop it, but it's looking pretty bleak for gun owners right now.
Maybe with great effort we can slow things down a bit.
Anybody written their Reps yet about upcoming gun laws?

They already have a law on the books allowing concealed carry outside city limits while engaged in any legal outdoor activity without a permit. This newly proposed law sounds like it would just open up inside the city limits as well. sounds great!

Concealed carry licenses for firearms in Idaho are forbidden by its Constitution in Article I, Section 11: No law shall impose licensure, registration or special taxation on the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition. The important word here is "possession". Existing law, including the imposition of the so-called "enhanced" license to carry in universities, creates the absurd notion that a person loses possession of a firearm the moment it is concealed.

I too, plan to take my tax revenue with me to another state (Idaho/Montana) when I retire... just like them 1st teir PERS schmucks did after they manipulated the system and scored them 120%+ golden parachutes on the tax payers' dime. o_O

I too, plan to take my tax revenue with me to another state (Idaho/Montana) when I retire... just like them 1st teir PERS schmucks did after they manipulated the system and scored them 120%+ golden parachutes on the tax payers' dime. o_O

Let's stop picking on public employees. Maybe you should say something about the idiotic politicians who agreed to the employee union contract negotiation requests.

The entire idea of concealed carry via "permits" eludes me.. How did they ever pass that? Probably a major "progressive" minded nation back in the 30's?

We should be able to carry where/when ever! Concealed or open, I think the CHL should only apply to federal lands..etc

Let's stop picking on public employees. Maybe you should say something about the idiotic politicians who agreed to the employee union contract negotiation requests.
The only public employees I have fault with are the ones who against their conscience, vote for anti gun Politicians en masse as ordered by their Unions out of fear their benefits won't keep rising quite as fast as past years.

The rest of us losers, whose voting numbers don't compete with the growing Public Sector Unions, are stuck with more stupid feel good laws and higher fees and taxes.

Taxes that in part help pay for the hefty public sector benefits and enforcement of all the the new restrictions each year like gun laws as well as Green Energy Subsidies put out by these Progressive Politicians that are eased into Office by the incestuous Govt./Public Sector Union relationship.

The entire idea of concealed carry via "permits" eludes me.. How did they ever pass that? Probably a major "progressive" minded nation back in the 30's?

We should be able to carry where/when ever! Concealed or open, I think the CHL should only apply to federal lands..etc
It never made sense, criminals still CC all the time, they don't care. Many otherwise good citizens CC without a permit and no one ever knows about it unless they end up using it.
Most anyone who wants a permit (except NY or maybe CA) can pay up and get one so it's just another of many, stupid unenforceable feel good does more harm than good laws.
I'm sure it deters a lot of people from carrying due to the hassle and the Criminals count on that!
How many muggings, car jackings, rapes etc. would not be happening if CC laws didn't exist and more people carried?

You mean the politicians who also benefitted from the sweet deal directly, or by political endorsements and donations from OPEU? Yeah, plenty has been said around here about all of it over the years, you're a bit new to the "party" here.

FYI- I'm a private sector union member, and maybe I can pick on BOTH! o_O

You mean the politicians who also benefitted from the sweet deal directly, or by political endorsements and donations from OPEU? Yeah, plenty has been said around here about all of it over the years, you're a bit new to the "party" here.

FYI- I'm a private sector union member, and maybe I can pick on BOTH! o_O

I am a public sector union member and president of my local. I don't agree with lavish retirements either. Nor do I agree with too much when it comes to wage increases and benefits. But I do pay a little more for shopping local independent mom and pop shops and I make it a point to do so thus supporting my local businesses. Most union employees pump almost all of their wages back into the local economy supporting our communities that we live in.

As for the folks who retire and relocate; they aren't the only ones doing so. There is a lot of people that leave Oregon for retirement from all types of non union jobs and take their money with them. There is a reason that places like Arizona have a healthy retired population. So maybe Oregon could get on board and give breaks to retired people as well thus encouraging more people to retire here.

I plan on snow-birding between here and Arizona because they have retirement incentives, nice weather and better gun laws than Oregon. I may even choose to retire there permanently. ;)

It must be so beautiful to see a legislature like this.

Constitutional carry would/will be fantastic but the legislature really isn't the beautiful part of Idaho : )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424363662.870506.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424363701.600215.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424364123.089757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424364135.335015.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424364144.498894.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR