JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't realize wolves had traversed Oregon to this extent. If they can track this animal via satellite then why can't they find a way to determine if it has any its pals tagging along with it?

I think they know, because they know exactly the GPS #'s on it. They can track only the one with the collar, but they can do a visual on it. I don't know if it's true, but a lot of people are saying it's a small pack.

Trouble is, packs don't coexist. A female can average several pups a year. When the pups mature they are kicked out, to go find new territory and start a new pack. They mark out territory and defend it. They multiply fast.

The envirowackos aren't re-introducing wolves. They are bringing in bigger, meaner wolves than the type which was native here, and we're going to be stuck killing all of them. I guarantee you that the E. Oregon ranchers aren't going to tolerate them. I'm not talking about Forest Service leases either. I'm talking about fee simple land.

My wife's family still owns a 4,000 acre ranch in E. Oregon and there have always been rifles in the pickups and on horses and other equipment. 2,000 acres is cattle. What do you expect those boys will do if they see a pack of wolves on their wheat or cattle land? These are huge wolves with an entirely different disposition from what was native here.

Does anybody know of any website (reputable sites that is) or literature that details what was native to our region in past? I'm all in favor of truly native species inhabiting our forests. That's the way it should be. But just by looking at these huge 200# or so wolves doesn't seem to add up. They seem extremely large for the kind of game they would hunt here. Those wolves look more like moose and brown bear sized predators. But that is only my non-expert observation which I hold in all to high regard :D

I'm just saying, if you have a gun in hand like she did, and your focus is on the animal now (it's not a surprise "attack" anymore) then you should have the wits to make distance and leave. Shoot near it even, a bear won't be sticking around after a gunshot, if it does.....then you might have a problem.

You are ASSuming that the wolf care that you have a gun pointed at it and are making noise while backing away.
If that was the case,this wolf would have backed off itself and went away.

You are ASSuming that the wolf care that you have a gun pointed at it and are making noise while backing away.
The only way a Wolf or any other predator of this caliber will care, when they have an ill intent, is when the bullet strikes with a killing blow!!! Animals in general will continue to strike/ fight until dead. It is in thier nature, unlike the liberals that complain about killing a predator. they have no experienace with them. If they did, they would most likely think otherwise.

Im not willing to take that risk either, any move that could be considered less than dominate when confronting a preditor of this caliber could turn out real bad, real quick.

I was hunting elk last week in eastern Oregon on private land. That landowner himself hunts on a friends land in the Wallowas where there is a collared wolf that runs in a pack. They had a conversation about the wolf "re-introduction" and the devastation to the elk and deer in the area, not to mention the live stock. My friend asked what the local ranchers planned on doing about the wolves and received a very short reply. "They are being managed".
The ranchers of eastern Oregon are not about to allow these predators to decimate their livestock.

I was hunting elk last week in eastern Oregon on private land. That landowner himself hunts on a friends land in the Wallowas where there is a collared wolf that runs in a pack. They had a conversation about the wolf "re-introduction" and the devastation to the elk and deer in the area, not to mention the live stock. My friend asked what the local ranchers planned on doing about the wolves and received a very short reply. "They are being managed".
The ranchers of eastern Oregon are not about to allow these predators to decimate their livestock.

A guy up here goes to Idaho to hunt with a guide. He was told if he saw a wolf or a grizzly and didn't kill it,he wasn't welcome back.

wolves are to be shot on sight no questions asked IMO cougars same deal, coyotes maybe, bobcats maybe not. there are certtain predators that belong in the food chain, and some that dont. just my nickles worth

wolves are to be shot on sight no questions asked IMO cougars same deal, coyotes maybe, bobcats maybe not. there are certtain predators that belong in the food chain, and some that dont. just my nickles worth

For me, it depends on the situation, but any animal that makes an aggressive move toward me, including not leaving the area as soon as I know that it sees/smells me...dies!

I think that something some are forgetting here is that wolf smelled her a mile or so ago.He didn't just happen along ,jump up on the log/stump (whatever) and find a MAYBE meal.He probably stocked her and was at the point of "yep ,dinner"
Yeah unless the wind was blazing in his face,he was coming for dinner

As far as other predators,obviously we aren't managing the cougars like we need to .You could probably shoot all the cougars you just happen to see while hunting and not hurt the population at all.Same with coyotes.
Heck they aren't hurting the cougar population as it is.

The numbers will go up too.As the animals grow healthier,with a good beef diet they will tend to breed larger,healthier litters.
Kinda how nature works,no?

this is part of the reason anti-hunters are happy with the fact that wolves are being introduced...they want the elk and deer herds to be managed BY the wolves...not humans...nevermind the fact that for the last 10,000 years as far as I know; humans have been the wolves' natural predator; and vice versa. the sheer size of the one killed....wow....that is a huge wolf! weren't there some debate as to whether or not the Canadian Timber Wolves are different from what used to be here, especially if they were native to Alaska and BC area?

From all I have heard,there is no debate at all. As I and others have said on this thread and all the other threads about wolves is ,it is not a "re-introduction" but "introduction" of the larger canadian wolves.
The ones seen now are not native this area.
That dog would take an elk down easily.Get 2 more on his side and you've got a herd of elk devastated.
But he's probably got another 5-6 with him I would guess.

the thing is; even Wiki does not describe the specific differences between Timber Wolf/Mackenzie Valley, Northern Rocky Mountain Wolf, and the Southern Rocky Mountain wolf, other than that they are all members of the Gray Wolf species, and range between 70 pounds to 175 pounds... or details which were native to the Cascade-coastal area....as far as I know, between Oregon and Alaska; the landscape is very similar in the valleys and mountains, other than the high desert areas in Oregon and WA.

UBC pub "Mammals of British Columbia" (Cowan, UBC 1965) puts the BC interior wolf "canis lupus columbi****" at an average of 99 lbs from a sample of 4 adult males , (87-112) with a max of 140 lbs. The coastal wolf "Canis Lupus fuscus" they say is "variable" in size, but did not have a large enough sample to give and average and extreme. (Samples collected in 1944)

IMHO: That Wolf in Idaho isn't a native BC interior wolf. It came from somewhere else.

Maybe the latin is the same for both wolves,doesn't mean one hasn't got bigger genes.Diet could come into play.These wolves could drop in size if the bigger ones aren't feeding well enogh

You know,after the elk,deer,sheep,bovine,dog and cat populations have dropped?

Grizzlies,Kodiaks and brown bears are said to be the same bear and different sizes because of the protein levels in their diets. I believe the latin is a little different for each though,but basically the same species.

holy that does look like a timber wolf. tell them yuppies to go hiking and run into one! lets see what they think. I guess they could put up beware of big a$$ wolves signs like they do for cougars. their probely the same folks who puts up " lock up your belongings, they will get jacked" sighns . but imo bang bang, not bark bark. and that wolf would look great as a foyer piece, with a sighn that says beware of wolves!

Maybe the latin is the same for both wolves,doesn't mean one hasn't got bigger genes.Diet could come into play.These wolves could drop in size if the bigger ones aren't feeding well enogh

You know,after the elk,deer,sheep,bovine,dog and cat populations have dropped?

Grizzlies,Kodiaks and brown bears are said to be the same bear and different sizes because of the protein levels in their diets. I believe the latin is a little different for each though,but basically the same species.

All true. The ability to interbreed and have fertile offspring shows this. They can, and do where the subspecies overlap.
The DNA of the species of brown bear from Alaska's ABC islands in fact show a closer link to the Polar bear than the interior Grizzly, yet all can crossbreed and have young that are capable of breeding.

Wolves killed AK teacher; report adds new fuel to NW wolf war

With confirmation the other day by the Alaska Department of Fish & Game that at least two wolves were responsible for killing a young high school teacher, the debate about wolf management in the Pacific Northwest has erupted anew.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads