JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not much has changed! I was in ID in 82 and 83, They had bumperstickers then that said Californian's Go Home! You are ruining our state, etc..... I loved the state, But I could not find enough year around work to feed a family!

Now that I'm retired, and don't need a job it's looking like a good place to be again!

Boise is a great town, but it is growing fast. bubblegum, portland was a-ok back in the late 80's early 90's. I hope Boise will keep its integrity.

I live in western Oregon. I feel their pain. My folks, originally from Nebraska brought me out here when I was 8. They even tried Kalifornia for a few months but couldn't stand it even back in the 1950s, so we all moved back to Oregon, then up to the Puget sound area for a while, but finally setteled back in Oregon, so I am not a real native. I've just been here for the last half century plus.

I just wish they would shorten the name of Oregun to gun, then make it a requirement that everyone moving here understand the second amendment.

Then I don't care which state you come from.

I know some people from california that I would welcome. The more time goes by, the more you will see these moves based on polarization. And unfortunately due to a poor educational system we might be outnumbered.

At least we aren't outgunned.

There's a lot of internal migration, especially strong in the west. And it's been going on for donkey's years.

And, it isn't just from state to state. It goes on intra-state. It's often more a conflict of urban/suburban versus rural. Here in Wash., Boeing Company retirees move out to places like the Methow Valley. Upsetting the locals. Same story as we're discussing in Idaho. They bring their money into a lower cost market, price out the locals and next thing you know, it's no longer a lower cost market. Money it must be pointed out that they worked all their lives to save; you can't really fault them for having originally worked and lived in a place that had better opportunities and paid higher wages.

Then there is the domino effect. Monroe, Wash. used to be a small town. As crowding and higher prices drove people out of King Co., some landed in Monroe. All kinds of development resulted, prices went up, the whole bit. Many long-time local residents moved out, especially the lower income types. Guess to where? Idaho and Montana. One guy I know inherited a home in Monroe that happened to be on a large lot; he sold it, cashed out his big bucks and moved -- to La Pine, Ore.

Both of my parents were originally from Iowa. Small towns. Back there, if you weren't born there, you're considered an outsider. You can live there for 30 years, you will always be thought of as an outsider. Locals may be polite, some may even like you, but in their mind you're still an outsider. But I can say from this same experience, lots of people have left places like small towns in Iowa over the past 50 years as the economy has moved more from rural to urban/suburban. People who don't inherit land to farm, well, they either move to town or become a low income hired hand. People who wanted something better for themselves moved. Not everyone can face that kind of change, leaving their original home, family, friends, contacts., etc. So those who stay behind sometimes give a pass to better opportunities. And become the local low income people.

It's funny, if a non-native moves into the city in California, nobody thinks a thing about it. You just get lost in the vast sea of people. There, many city dwellers don't even know their neighbors.

Sry, but must say that with all that are moving into my beloved home state, the only thing i can think of is the "automatic" weapons bans in cali are probably the cause, now if i could just figure out how to stuff a full magizine it the pie hole id have a leathel weapon........

Failure to process if this then that logic, even if not using causes but instead correlations and probabilities.

Millions upon Millions of people are growing up in a societal bubble, not learning history or the political ideas that have shaped the world from the Magna Carta on up to today. Have you seen the street interviews in CA asking people who the first president was? Epic fail, one after the other. People don't know even that, let alone names like John Locke, Adam Smith, Kant, or (probably) even Plato.

But, I bet you they know Jacques Derrida. And if someone is so entrenched in these philosophies, then they would see that California's problems are the results of some oppressive figment in the aether - something that their philosophies fight against. They'd simply see Idaho as even worse than California, from that perspective...never able to grasp that it is they who are, in fact, the terror of their own lands.

I wonder...would it be an infringement on rights or liberty to force a waiting period for state and local elections? Something like all new residents to the state may not register to vote or vote in any state or local election for a period of 5 years...?

So what you're saying is..... there's a lot of deluded, self-entitled people out there that need their noses broken by a solid right jab, yeah?

;)

Previous posts have said it all. Idaho is RAPIDLY becoming a third world crap hole like the West Coast. The game is gone, the waters are polluted, elbow to elbow "recreationists" etc. etc. The only ones who welcome the "refugees" are the politicians who "loves dem tax dollars" they benefit from. Our recent Mayoral race is a good indication of how much Idaho has changed and not for the better. It was stated decades ago the geography of Idaho is very dependent on water and cannot sustain the HUGE influx of newbies and the subsequent development that follows them. Global warming is not the problem, population explosion and shifts are! But hey, why worry so what if agricultural land now grows houses!

All this "hate" talk takes me back to my grandparents migration from the "dust-bowl" and depression era. They moved lock, stock & barrel from Oklahoma to California with dreams of putting down roots and thriving. My grandfather had about $30 in his pocket from selling off all he had to leave and head west. They stopped along the way and did odd jobs to buy fuel and groceries.
All I'm saying is Californians hated the "okies" coming in and ruining their state, so much so that signes were made and people refused to welcome them. Sound familiar?
People, regardless of ideology, will always seek to better their situation. My grandfather's father came over from Europe because of strife and economics. It's in our nature to move away from pain or discomfort.
Someone somewhere is benefiting from all of this. Bet on it. ;)

My wife and I sold our 5 acre place in CA a year ago and moved ourselves and our three horses, leaving behind my liberal son, his liberal wife and two grand kids. We couldn't stomach what the Left had done to the state: schools, infrastructure, law enforcement, etc. All we wanted to do was find a place to live out our lives in peace, shoot several matches a week and have a place to practice. We've found that in Idaho.

It's great to see young couples able and willing to raise a family in this environment. The taxes my wife and I pay and needed to fund public services with the school system being at the top of that list. Despite being in our 70's we recognize that our future is with the next generation and the next generation being raised in places like CA is going to have values that will have to be overcome if this country is to survive true to the values of our Founders.

Same thing is going on here in AZ, only not to such a great extent. The only reason being, most of the migrants cant handle the heat, so they stay a while and move north. Pockets of them in Prescott, Sedona and other artsy fartsy areas but its even getting too expensive there, so they move on. They are so easy to spot, especially the young ones with the dreadlocks and man buns. It sickens me to see it happen. My wife is a born and bred eastern Or. native and our kids and grandkids are still there. I feel for them, but I guess Texas will be the only free state in the future.

There's a lot of internal migration, especially strong in the west. And it's been going on for donkey's years.

And, it isn't just from state to state. It goes on intra-state. It's often more a conflict of urban/suburban versus rural. Here in Wash., Boeing Company retirees move out to places like the Methow Valley. Upsetting the locals. Same story as we're discussing in Idaho. They bring their money into a lower cost market, price out the locals and next thing you know, it's no longer a lower cost market. Money it must be pointed out that they worked all their lives to save; you can't really fault them for having originally worked and lived in a place that had better opportunities and paid higher wages.

Then there is the domino effect. Monroe, Wash. used to be a small town. As crowding and higher prices drove people out of King Co., some landed in Monroe. All kinds of development resulted, prices went up, the whole bit. Many long-time local residents moved out, especially the lower income types. Guess to where? Idaho and Montana. One guy I know inherited a home in Monroe that happened to be on a large lot; he sold it, cashed out his big bucks and moved -- to La Pine, Ore.

Both of my parents were originally from Iowa. Small towns. Back there, if you weren't born there, you're considered an outsider. You can live there for 30 years, you will always be thought of as an outsider. Locals may be polite, some may even like you, but in their mind you're still an outsider. But I can say from this same experience, lots of people have left places like small towns in Iowa over the past 50 years as the economy has moved more from rural to urban/suburban. People who don't inherit land to farm, well, they either move to town or become a low income hired hand. People who wanted something better for themselves moved. Not everyone can face that kind of change, leaving their original home, family, friends, contacts., etc. So those who stay behind sometimes give a pass to better opportunities. And become the local low income people.

It's funny, if a non-native moves into the city in California, nobody thinks a thing about it. You just get lost in the vast sea of people. There, many city dwellers don't even know their neighbors.

That's not true of all CA! I have lived and worked in a lot of small towns where if your Grandparents did not go to school there you are shunned as a Outsider. In the cities you can be from anywhere.
I've been here for most of 60 years, and in some groups I'm still an outsider! Its telling when you sit down in a group and the first thing that comes up is "Who are you related too?"

Assumptions play a big part in how people perceive and treat each other. I was born and raised in Oregon. After my military and civilian DoD service (mostly in California where Uncle Sam sent me), I returned home. In various situations, people here noted my license plate, ID, or non-503 cell number, making me a de facto "Californian" in their minds. More than a few times, I heard muttered comments like, "Ohhh... one of those."

Ironically, some of that smug douchebaggery came from youngsters. And I asked myself... Would it make any difference if I explained that I was a voting conservative paying taxes in Oregon before they were even born? Probably not.

I cannot take credit (nor should I) for any judgmental stranger's assumptions that:

- I rode some lucrative career/real estate bubble in Cali, sold out there and fled here with easy money to drive up the cost of housing.

- I was responsible for people driving like a-holes.

- I endorsed Hollywood/LA/San Francisco/Bay Area liberal politics, and I brought that disease here with me.

- All Californians are bad and therefore deserve whatever thuggish gun grabbing, astronomical gas prices and rapacious taxes that delusional Obama leg-humpers there inflict on the whole state. AND fires, and earthquakes, and homelessness, and illegal alien invasion, and shrieking political "correctness."

Last Edited:
These so-called disillusioned Californians are rarely able to grasp the concept that their voting record is responsible for all their reasons for leaving. This is why people in the states they are flocking to are fed up with them. If it was so bubbleguming wonderful they should have stayed put...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top