JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings all

I am going to be moving to Idaho soon and am looking to see if anyone could lend some knowledge regarding my situation. I am purchasing a house in Nampa, ID that will be my home/domicile but I will not be able to get an Idaho drivers license or ID card. This is due to the fact that I will still be working in California and need to maintain my Cali DL & Ambulance DL to remain employed. There is NO WAY AROUND this as I would have to surrender my CA drivers license in order to obtain any form of Idaho identification resulting in job loss. Eventually I will be securing employment in Idaho making this a moot point but that is a few years off.

Looking at the requirements as written, having a valid US Passport along with utility bills, mortgage statements or vehicle registration satisfies the law for proper ID & proof of residency (6 months minimum time) required to make a firearms purchase. As I have read it the laws do not specifically require official Idaho issued identification. Will still maintaining my California drivers license cause a legal problem? I am currently waiting for clarification on this from a lawyer but I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this situation before.

Appreciate all the input and advice!

FB_IMG_1597454239310.jpg

Unless you can convince the sheriff to give you a ccw I don't know of any stores around here that will do 4473 on a Cali license but maybe that's just the big box stores idk

Unless you can convince the sheriff to give you a ccw I don't know of any stores around here that will do 4473 on a Cali license but maybe that's just the big box stores idk
Not just big box stores. You need proof of residence which can be an auto registration, but you will need to prove residence to get that as well. I think it is 3-months utilities bills and two other dotGov forms of ID to get a DL also.

Greetings all

I am going to be moving to Idaho soon and am looking to see if anyone could lend some knowledge regarding my situation. I am purchasing a house in Nampa, ID that will be my home/domicile but I will not be able to get an Idaho drivers license or ID card. This is due to the fact that I will still be working in California and need to maintain my Cali DL & Ambulance DL to remain employed. There is NO WAY AROUND this as I would have to surrender my CA drivers license in order to obtain any form of Idaho identification resulting in job loss. Eventually I will be securing employment in Idaho making this a moot point but that is a few years off.

Looking at the requirements as written, having a valid US Passport along with utility bills, mortgage statements or vehicle registration satisfies the law for proper ID & proof of residency (6 months minimum time) required to make a firearms purchase. As I have read it the laws do not specifically require official Idaho issued identification. Will still maintaining my California drivers license cause a legal problem? I am currently waiting for clarification on this from a lawyer but I wanted to see if anyone has dealt with this situation before.

? ASK a gun store here Nampa area.

Maybe you can apply and get just an Idaho state ID card - not a DL.
That's what I had to do - for nearly the same reasons OR/CA.
Unfortunately the way they do it these days the "Star card" certification scans for ANY other active identifications across the US.

Not sure what to tell you about purchasing, but if it helps boost your spirits, at least you can carry while in Idaho no matter what state ID you have.

Greetings all

ID DMV will ask for your CA DL when you apply for an ID DL. In my case it let me avoid the driving test and when they returned my CA DL it had holes punched in it that said VOID. Are you saying that your employer will not hire those that have an ID DL?

If he has a CA CCW, he can get an enhanced ID CWL by taking the required class. But that will not help as federal law prohibits the transfer of handguns to out of state residents and for long guns, he would have to fall under the exception which does not apply to CA residents due the the fact that the transfer has to comply with the laws of the receiving state and CA law does not allow such transfers.

You are 'supposed' to get a drivers license within 90 days if you are a new resident. When I moved here, I was not able to purchase a handgun with my out of state ID. I finally got my ID license, which was paper, and the gun store wouldn't accept it either :( I had to wait until the real one came in the mail. Maybe with the passport, and utility bills it might fly.

Hopefully your lawyer will help you figure it out. Good luck and welcome.

You are not a resident until you register to vote there. Driver's Licenses are required when you have lived there continuously for a specific period of time. The same is true with auto registration and licensing. The only hunting license you are eligible for is an out-of state one. You may not purchase any firearms in Idaho unless you live in the state or a bordering state. Idaho may honor any existing CCW that you may have. Any attempt to circumvent state laws may result in penalties and fines and the possible loss of hunting and fishing privileges. Other than that, yer' good to go. You may not be a resident of two states. You have to pick one. I have some of these issues because I have a ten acre cactus farm in AZ and a home in Washington. I spend 5-6 months in each state. I am a resident of Washington and a property owner in AZ. They honor my CCW in AZ, but I'm unable to purchase firearms or hunt/fish in AZ unless I buy out of state licenses. You should actually pay a couple hundred dollars to a lawyer in ID and ask him/her about your situation.

You are not a resident until you register to vote there. Driver's Licenses are required when you have lived there continuously for a specific period of time. The same is true with auto registration and licensing. The only hunting license you are eligible for is an out-of state one. You may not purchase any firearms in Idaho unless you live in the state or a bordering state. Idaho may honor any existing CCW that you may have. Any attempt to circumvent state laws may result in penalties and fines and the possible loss of hunting and fishing privileges. Other than that, yer' good to go. You may not be a resident of two states. You have to pick one. I have some of these issues because I have a ten acre cactus farm in AZ and a home in Washington. I spend 5-6 months in each state. I am a resident of Washington and a property owner in AZ. They honor my CCW in AZ, but I'm unable to purchase firearms or hunt/fish in AZ unless I buy out of state licenses. You should actually pay a couple hundred dollars to a lawyer in ID and ask him/her about your situation.
First let me say that I disagree that a person cannot be a resident until they register to vote. What if a person decides note to vote and does not register to vote -- they cannot be a resident? When purchasing a firearm and getting a drivers license, no one has ever asked me if I had registered to vote. Registering to vote is only evidence of where one is domiciled.
As was pointed out, a non prohibited person does not need an ID or other state CCW to carry in ID. His problems have nothing to do with ID law. His problem is with his CA employer and for that he would need a CA lawyer.

First let me say that I disagree that a person cannot be a resident until they register to vote. What if a person decides note to vote and does not register to vote -- they cannot be a resident? When purchasing a firearm and getting a drivers license, no one has ever asked me if I had registered to vote. Registering to vote is only evidence of where one is domiciled.
As was pointed out, a non prohibited person does not need an ID or other state CCW to carry in ID. His problems have nothing to do with ID law. His problem is with his CA employer and for that he would need a CA lawyer.
Voter registration is the final arbiter of whether or not a person is a citizen of a particular state. I have no interest in trying to defend a lot of "what if" questions that are nothing more than attempts to circumvent existing laws. I don't agree with it, but that's been my experience. You can't have it both ways.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top