JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...to all the people in my life who taught me how to work with my hands, work with my tools, and taught me how to do STUFF! In particular today, I'd like to thank my neighbor Brian for teaching me how to install new windows on my house. Without that knowledge I would be forking over hundreds of extra dollars to pay someone else to install them for me. Now that I possess the knowledge, I can look forward to doing all the windows myself, and on my own time schedule.

Excellent that you did it yourself. I had a window company come in and do our windows. Very nice installer but left a huge mess for me and the Wife to clean up. The company has them on such a tight schedule, clean-up is not part of the install price.

I hold 4 journeyman certificates, an FCC license, a Coast Guard operator's license, a diploma from the OMC factory mechanic's school, was an ET1 in the US Navy, and I have a BA in psychology. I do my own gunsmithing, computer and auto repairs, and carpentry. I've never found anything I couldn't learn to do.

As a kid, I really focused on learning to cook, that was my ticket out of a bad home life... turned out being technology that got me out and got me well paid.

Just wish I had learned to replace my jeep's suspension, or weld, or work on a house. As an adult though, not a lot of opportunities to just learn this stuff. If I ever have kids, they're going to learn early.

As a kid, I really focused on learning to cook, that was my ticket out of a bad home life... turned out being technology that got me out and got me well paid.

Just wish I had learned to replace my jeep's suspension, or weld, or work on a house. As an adult though, not a lot of opportunities to just learn this stuff. If I ever have kids, they're going to learn early.

Those things are all easy enough. For the Jeep, get on some local 4x4 boards. Might get lucky and hook up with someone that can teach you to weld too. Most of us 4x4 guys are pretty friendly and willing to help/teach.

Those things are all easy enough. For the Jeep, get on some local 4x4 boards. Might get lucky and hook up with someone that can teach you to weld too. Most of us 4x4 guys are pretty friendly and willing to help/teach.

yes. Good point. Plus, it would be great to get the jeep into the dirt again. :)

Find a community collage near you that teaches welding. They will start you on an arc welder, then move you up to a mig machine.
I taught myself welding and I made a lot mistakes in the beginning. Save yourself a lot headaches and get taught by a pro.

If you are going to teach yourself, start with a MIG welder. Almost anybody can make a decent weld with a MIG machine and a little practice. But stay away from MIG welders that run on 120VAC. They are generally too small for things like 1/4" plate. Get one that runs on 240VAC and is in the 180 amp range. Also, flux core wire without gas works, but solid wire with gas works much better.

This is a good example of how the schools have changed. I was fabricating, welding, sand casting, working with leather, plastic,and wood in junior high. When I went to high school I got more into wood and cars along with horticulture and carpentry. Taking these classes along with learning from my Dad (retired electrician/carpenter/plumming) and Mom (cooking/baking) I can safely say the only thing I wont do is tear apart an automatic tranny LOL. Learning all of this has saved me alot of money over the years and also gave me the knowledge to help and teach friends at the same time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top