Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ironbar, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

...to all the people in my life who taught me how to work with my hands, work with my tools, and taught me how to do STUFF! In particular today, I'd like to thank my neighbor Brian for teaching me how to install new windows on my house. Without that knowledge I would be forking over hundreds of extra dollars to pay someone else to install them for me. Now that I possess the knowledge, I can look forward to doing all the windows myself, and on my own time schedule.

PDXSparky, Scrammer, mjbskwim and 5 others like this.
  2. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I replaced all my windows and wow, it is well worth it!

3. davemata

davemata Spokane, WA Well-Known Member

how do you do that...

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Excellent that you did it yourself. I had a window company come in and do our windows. Very nice installer but left a huge mess for me and the Wife to clean up. The company has them on such a tight schedule, clean-up is not part of the install price.

5. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Makes me glad I grew up in a dirt-poor family and had to learn a wide variety of skills.

6. sandman1212

sandman1212 NW Oregon Active Member

doing it yourself is the way to go! I learned many skills, mainly because I am cheap, and want to save for my next gun. but hey it is worth it!

7. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I hold 4 journeyman certificates, an FCC license, a Coast Guard operator's license, a diploma from the OMC factory mechanic's school, was an ET1 in the US Navy, and I have a BA in psychology. I do my own gunsmithing, computer and auto repairs, and carpentry. I've never found anything I couldn't learn to do.

lazerblazer, cpy911, davemata and 3 others like this.
  8. davemata

As a kid, I really focused on learning to cook, that was my ticket out of a bad home life... turned out being technology that got me out and got me well paid.

Just wish I had learned to replace my jeep's suspension, or weld, or work on a house. As an adult though, not a lot of opportunities to just learn this stuff. If I ever have kids, they're going to learn early.

9. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Those things are all easy enough. For the Jeep, get on some local 4x4 boards. Might get lucky and hook up with someone that can teach you to weld too. Most of us 4x4 guys are pretty friendly and willing to help/teach.

10. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Ah, being able to fabricate metal would be one seriously useful skill!

11. davemata

yes. Good point. Plus, it would be great to get the jeep into the dirt again. :)

12. davemata

horse trading time, anyone want lessons on how to cure meat in exchange for lessons on how to weld? ;)

13. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Find a community collage near you that teaches welding. They will start you on an arc welder, then move you up to a mig machine.
    I taught myself welding and I made a lot mistakes in the beginning. Save yourself a lot headaches and get taught by a pro.

14. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

If you are going to teach yourself, start with a MIG welder. Almost anybody can make a decent weld with a MIG machine and a little practice. But stay away from MIG welders that run on 120VAC. They are generally too small for things like 1/4" plate. Get one that runs on 240VAC and is in the 180 amp range. Also, flux core wire without gas works, but solid wire with gas works much better.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  15. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

This is a good example of how the schools have changed. I was fabricating, welding, sand casting, working with leather, plastic,and wood in junior high. When I went to high school I got more into wood and cars along with horticulture and carpentry. Taking these classes along with learning from my Dad (retired electrician/carpenter/plumming) and Mom (cooking/baking) I can safely say the only thing I wont do is tear apart an automatic tranny LOL. Learning all of this has saved me alot of money over the years and also gave me the knowledge to help and teach friends at the same time.