JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Recent terrorist attacks of soft targets in the US and EU indicate a potential increase in these kinds of attacks in the future. In the US, it is not unlikely that one or more citizens with a gun might be on the scene and seek to take down the shooters or disrupt the attack.

Any thoughts on how one might identify oneself to law enforcement (i.e., second responders) in such a situation? Being an old fat white guy should be an unambiguous clue, but is there anything one could use to identify oneself as either "not the active shooter/terrorist" or one of the good guys?

If one had a go bag or man purse on you or in the car, it would be possible to carry something small and light weight. Here are some things that come to mind:
  1. A high visibility mesh vest like those worn by joggers and road construction/utility workers
  2. A hat of some type that may be high viz and/or marked in a way to distinguish one from a terrorist (e.g., NRA, a gun mfg logo, municipality, etc.)
  3. An ID hung around the neck or on an armband -- the nature of the ID doesn't really matter (perhaps one's CHL), what's important is that shooters/terrorists don't display IDs
It seems that the goal here is not to authenticate as law enforcement, but to strongly signal "not a terrorist" causing LEO to do something other than shoot you right off the bat.

Thoughts?
Some identifier of the good guy would be great until the bad guys figured out they could wear them too......!

I have some old SO patches and identifier's from my old uniform's.

I could use them and face the consequences. I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by
6!

The best advice I can give is , YOU FIGHT AS YOU TRAIN!

Secure your area, protect those around you, secure an exit and guide people out.

Remember ..... when seconds count, Help is just MINUTES AWAY!

BE SAFE WATCH YOUR SIX!

"Recent terrorist attacks of soft targets in the US and EU indicate a potential increase in these kinds of attacks in the future."

I'd worry more about being struck by lightning. Or pulled over on a highway and shot by a cop having a bad day. If you fear terrorist attacks, you need to get control of your fear.

You have three separate challenges here:
The first is probably already overcome by the time KEOs show up: surviving your fight.

The second is surviving initial responsr by LEOs.

If you have gun in hand, you will be shot. Anyone not LEO and armrd in a firefight is a threat until proven otherwise.

If your firearm is holsteted, and you move your hand toeard it, you eill be shot, for similar reasons.

If possible,by tbe time they arrive, your firearm should be unloaded, action open, and in a safe place where you can control it, but not in your podsession.

If you identify yourself as law enforcement and aren't, you will be charged with impersonation.

Having a CHP/CWP dors not automatically make you a good guy.
It makes you a guy who passed a background check. Nothing more.

Your third challenge is surviving yhe legal fight.

Safe your weapon.

Put yourself in a distinctly non threat posture.

Identify yoursrlf when asked to do so.

Lawyer up immediately after identifying yourself.

You will have kegal problems no matter what you do.

If you can legally avoid being identified as the one who shot the attacker, those ptoblems diminish considerably.

That is an unlikely occurrance,but if it is possible, it is preferrable.

"Recent terrorist attacks of soft targets in the US and EU indicate a potential increase in these kinds of attacks in the future."

I'd worry more about being struck by lightning. Or pulled over on a highway and shot by a cop having a bad day. If you fear terrorist attacks, you need to get control of your fear.
Yeah ,that's exactly what everyone wanted to believe before 9/11

When LEO are responding to an active shooter situation, you do not want to have a gun in your hand or anywhere near you. The LEO may well shoot you first and ask questions later. This would also be a bad time to be an open carrier. If the bad guys did not shoot you first, the responding LEO probably would.

If wearing some goofy badge or shirt would prevent someone from being shot by LEO, all the bad guys would start wearing them.

Yeah, really! LEO always shoot first and ask questions later. Your chances of being killed by a "terrorist" in America are less than being shot by a LEO. Now, that's the way it is in America! Good luck everyone!

Actually I was thinking of the high stress level the LEO are under when responding to an actual active shooter situation and they are required to make decisions in a nano second when they spot someone holding a gun. They, just like us, don't want to take chances when an obvious possible threat is present. They want to go home to their families at the end of the day just like the rest of us.

Yes and no. I understand what you are saying. Good advise would be to switch off the news, as they are sensationalizing any and all events, creating mass hysteria - it's good for media business. Ironically the same mechanism that drives gun control people to develop hopplophobia, also drives xenophobia, Terrorism-phobia, and any related phobias. It all roots in the psychological concept known as the "logical fallacy of misleading vividness". Media feed into that vividness that is not proportional to the actual threat. Just calm down and carry. If you encounter the very unlikely event, act, if you are prepared for the responsibility. It's similar to Emergency Management. We always prepare for the worst, albeit it may be unlikely to hit during our lifetime. It can be done without stressing out. ;-)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top