JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep also some criminal background checks only screen for felonies or jail time. Certain class A misdemeanors (specifically DV) with no jail time can still make someone ineligible for firearm transfer in Oregon.

If you really want to cover your butt - then suck up the $$ and go thru an FFL.

Here in Oregon, remember non-licensees can always perform their own free background checks under ORS 166.436. It requires completing the same onerous form.

Still reading the law, but at first glance this self-check may fulfill the requirements of SB 941, but only at a gun show - see section 3. SB 941 does seem to introduce record-keeping requirements in 166.436 though, which seem more onerous than just paying an FFL in the long term.

My emphasis in red:

A transferor who is not a gun dealer may not transfer a firearm at a gun show unless the transferor:

(a) (A) Requests a criminal background check under ORS 166.436 prior to completing the transfer;
(B) Receives [notification] a unique approval number from the Department of State Police indicating that the recipient is qualified to complete the transfer; and
(C) Has the recipient complete the form described in ORS 166.441; or

(b) Completes the transfer through a gun dealer.

(2) The transferor shall retain the completed form referred to in subsection (1) of this section for at least five years and shall make the completed form available to law enforcement agencies for the purpose of criminal investigations

https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/SB941/Introduced

Don't you have to do a nics check for everyone,all sales in oregon now?
BTW,I wouldn't count on care facilities or day cares to do backround checks

How 'bout my AARP card?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews