JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sooo--Going to do a serious "thinning of the herd" before August 9th. Normally I require
a valid Oregon CHL, especially on handguns, just to keep my butt covered. Thinking I can
expand that a bit.

What other pieces of ID would also be proof that the person has passed a criminal background check?

I'm pretty sure:

Any LEO.
Private security.
Any school employee.
Anybody working for a doctors office, hospital or care facility, including daycare.
Anybody that works in a courthouse or for a law enforcement agency as a non-sworn employee.

Please add to the list?

TWIC card. Federal background check, allows you to work at ports. Not an exhaustive list of disqualifying crimes, but pretty large and catches most big ones(including gun crimes) <broken link removed>

Most professional Trucking like JB Hunt, Snider etc do check and some have ID for them.
A CHL and Hazmat does not mean Background check. You can haul explosives in may cases and not have a background check, but have a CHL and Hazmat. Employers vary.

You know when a person does not have a CHL in the past I had them sign a bill of sale where it states they affirm they are not a felon. I check their ID and that covered me. I did it with only firearms I had FFL purchased where I wanted to keep a trail. PtoP I only do CHL sales 99% . I tend to avoid it otherwise unless I know the person.
Thing is getting a CHL is pretty cut and dry and eliminates doubt. But also SB941 does not apply to me either so I keep pretty safe sales for the most part and stay within where I live.

AAA contractors are subject to background checks annually, no felons/major misds.

Anyone working as a tow driver on police rotation - PD's mandate no felons/major misdemeanors. Most PD towers will have ID issued by the PD - in Washington County it's issued by the Sheriff's Office. Not sure if Portland issues their own, or if MCSO does it.

Firefighters / EMTs

Boy scout troop leaders? My dad's one of the troop leaders for my little bro's troop and he had to get background checked.

Membership card from the democrat party - that'd be a good identifier to NOT sell to... :D

Most professional Trucking like JB Hunt, Snider etc do check and some have ID for them.
A CHL and Hazmat does not mean Background check. You can haul explosives in may cases and not have a background check, but have a CHL and Hazmat. Employers vary.

Hazmat tanker endorsement is different. When I dropped mine it was because I would have to pay around 40 extra bucks for the BC check. That was years ago and I no longer keep the CDL.

Hazmat tanker endorsement is different. When I dropped mine it was because I would have to pay around 40 extra bucks for the BC check. That was years ago and I no longer keep the CDL.

I had a Hazmat until 1995 - 2014 going back never did a background check for it.
Are you in WA ? Retired my CDL in 2014.

Tankers and Hazmat (X) Endorsement
An X endorsement is for those who plan on transporting hazardous materials in tanker vehicles. The Class X endorsement and covers the following section from the CDL handbook:
  • Section 8 - Tanker Vehicles
  • Section 9 - Hazardous MaterialI

I am in WA

What do you mean by background check?

If you mean can legally purchase a firearm, that is different than say someone looking to run for office.

What reason(s) might you have to think the person is not who they represent themselves to be?

How do you know a person is really a cop? They have a badge? How many people have ever seen a real badge up close - to hold and examine - do be able to recognize it -vs- one from some online sales shop?

If you really want to cover your butt - then suck up the $$ and go thru an FFL.

There are occasional screw-ups for background checks. RN working at a local hospital a couple years ago passed the employers background check with flying colors. Next thing they know, the Marshals service was going gangbusters through the hospital arresting the guy for child molestation charges, charges that were in effect at the time of the BG check. Oooops.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top