Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

ID "equivalent" to CHL re: background check

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by BillM, Jul 18, 2015.

1. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sooo--Going to do a serious "thinning of the herd" before August 9th. Normally I require
    a valid Oregon CHL, especially on handguns, just to keep my butt covered. Thinking I can
    expand that a bit.

What other pieces of ID would also be proof that the person has passed a criminal background check?

I'm pretty sure:

Any LEO.
    Private security.
    Any school employee.
    Anybody working for a doctors office, hospital or care facility, including daycare.
    Anybody that works in a courthouse or for a law enforcement agency as a non-sworn employee.

Please add to the list?

2. Jabba

Jabba Oregon Member

3. cmica

cmica puy Active Member

don't forget B.O.S. I Just put the persons CL# down, price, when and sold as is.

4. Greenbug

Greenbug Bend Well-Known Member

Probably a pilot license as well....

5. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

CDL with Hazmat endorsement might be . Not to sure what kind of background check they do exactly.

45alive likes this.
  6. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

C&R FFL

tiggers97 and etrain16 like this.
  7. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

Most professional Trucking like JB Hunt, Snider etc do check and some have ID for them.
    A CHL and Hazmat does not mean Background check. You can haul explosives in may cases and not have a background check, but have a CHL and Hazmat. Employers vary.

8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How about a note from my Mom saying I'm a good boy.

mjbskwim, RB87, 40calruler and 3 others like this.
  9. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Fingerprint card signed off by local LEO

DuneHopper likes this.
  10. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Anybody with a recent credit card receipt of a gun purchased in their name I suppose.

11. DuneHopper

You know when a person does not have a CHL in the past I had them sign a bill of sale where it states they affirm they are not a felon. I check their ID and that covered me. I did it with only firearms I had FFL purchased where I wanted to keep a trail. PtoP I only do CHL sales 99% . I tend to avoid it otherwise unless I know the person.
    Thing is getting a CHL is pretty cut and dry and eliminates doubt. But also SB941 does not apply to me either so I keep pretty safe sales for the most part and stay within where I live.

12. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

AAA contractors are subject to background checks annually, no felons/major misds.

Anyone working as a tow driver on police rotation - PD's mandate no felons/major misdemeanors. Most PD towers will have ID issued by the PD - in Washington County it's issued by the Sheriff's Office. Not sure if Portland issues their own, or if MCSO does it.

Firefighters / EMTs

Boy scout troop leaders? My dad's one of the troop leaders for my little bro's troop and he had to get background checked.

Membership card from the democrat party - that'd be a good identifier to NOT sell to... :D

DuneHopper likes this.
  13. Slobray

Slobray Yelm, WA Well-Known Member

People with a Military CAC are good to go.

Ray

14. edslhead

Hazmat tanker endorsement is different. When I dropped mine it was because I would have to pay around 40 extra bucks for the BC check. That was years ago and I no longer keep the CDL.

15. DuneHopper

I had a Hazmat until 1995 - 2014 going back never did a background check for it.
    Are you in WA ? Retired my CDL in 2014.

16. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

DPSST

17. edslhead

Tankers and Hazmat (X) Endorsement
    An X endorsement is for those who plan on transporting hazardous materials in tanker vehicles. The Class X endorsement and covers the following section from the CDL handbook:
    • Section 8 - Tanker Vehicles
    • Section 9 - Hazardous MaterialI

I am in WA

18. DuneHopper

I was just thinking also people that work in the county at county state offices many require background check.

19. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What do you mean by background check?

If you mean can legally purchase a firearm, that is different than say someone looking to run for office.

What reason(s) might you have to think the person is not who they represent themselves to be?

How do you know a person is really a cop? They have a badge? How many people have ever seen a real badge up close - to hold and examine - do be able to recognize it -vs- one from some online sales shop?

If you really want to cover your butt - then suck up the $$ and go thru an FFL.

20. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

There are occasional screw-ups for background checks. RN working at a local hospital a couple years ago passed the employers background check with flying colors. Next thing they know, the Marshals service was going gangbusters through the hospital arresting the guy for child molestation charges, charges that were in effect at the time of the BG check. Oooops.