JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
6 inches now on the lawn. :( They updated the forecast saying we're going to continue getting snow until tomorrow afternoon, and it's going to remain below freezing for a while.

Forecast calls for 8 inches - but seeing as how we've got 6 already - unless it stops snowing soon we'll have more than that here. It's still snowing pretty hard.

Still being hammered here as well... I'm guessing a full 12 inches could be where we end up... Best snow since December 2008...

Man I hope we don't hit 2008 levels. We had 3 feet of snow in my yard in Hillsboro. Buddy out near Beavercreek had 4 feet o_O And the roads were absolutely trashed - all the rutted ice, and the multi-directional ruts at every intersection.

Somewhere I've got a pic that I took on Christmas Eve that year of a Toyota Camry in a ditch up on Bald Peak, and all you can see is a car shaped lump in the ditch covered with snow, with the tail lights peaking out. Boss and I ran one truck as a team and we shagged calls all the way from Hillsboro to Beavercreek yarding cars out of the ditch, with the whole goal being to get to a friend of mine who put his truck in a ditch out at Beavercreek Rd & Carus Rd - to avoid a head on collision by a guy speeding with no traction devices. He'd called AAA, who sent out a contractor from Canby - they sent a n00b in a recovery truck, who managed to winch the tow truck across the icy road almost into the stuck pickup. My buddy said screw it, I have a friend who drives a tow truck, GTFO - he called me and so the plan was hatched. Boss and I managed to levitate that pickup out of the ditch without putting a scratch on it, using a flatbed, and without blocking the whole damned road. We spent about 14 hours that day on the road.

I reeeally don't want to see a repeat of '08.

Lots of rain. No snow. Finally got the driveway plowed. Managed to get out Monday, 9 Jan. Now early am Wed. Power out again for 8.5 hours. No big deal. Not that cold. Now 0132 and I can not sleep. Old age. Life is good. Will advise. :)

Man I hope we don't hit 2008 levels. We had 3 feet of snow in my yard in Hillsboro. Buddy out near Beavercreek had 4 feet o_O And the roads were absolutely trashed - all the rutted ice, and the multi-directional ruts at every intersection.

Somewhere I've got a pic that I took on Christmas Eve that year of a Toyota Camry in a ditch up on Bald Peak, and all you can see is a car shaped lump in the ditch covered with snow, with the tail lights peaking out. Boss and I ran one truck as a team and we shagged calls all the way from Hillsboro to Beavercreek yarding cars out of the ditch, with the whole goal being to get to a friend of mine who put his truck in a ditch out at Beavercreek Rd & Carus Rd - to avoid a head on collision by a guy speeding with no traction devices. He'd called AAA, who sent out a contractor from Canby - they sent a n00b in a recovery truck, who managed to winch the tow truck across the icy road almost into the stuck pickup. My buddy said screw it, I have a friend who drives a tow truck, GTFO - he called me and so the plan was hatched. Boss and I managed to levitate that pickup out of the ditch without putting a scratch on it, using a flatbed, and without blocking the whole damned road. We spent about 14 hours that day on the road.

Way past '08 levels here. Sounds like an episode of highway thru hell. If the snow gets any deeper, I'm going to have to pull the pickup out of the garage and put the escape on the bench....:oops:. I looked out the window and it's still snowing.

So my drive from salem to beaverton is out of the question, from what I can see on trip check..... let alone the surface streets from the freeway to the shop?

Anyone have eyes on the beaverton area streets?

'08 was really bad. I remember that the snow/ice/snow/ice layers were so bad that my 4WD couldn't break through the ice layers to get some traction on the snow, so you got forced to got wherever the ruts forced you to go. I had to go retrieve my inlaws from their house to bring them to ours - they were without power for over a week - and the drive, normally 10 minutes took about 75, just because the roads were so bad. My chained up 4WD just wasn't heavy enough to break the surface ice and get down into some snow. I agree, hopefully this event won't be equal to that one.

I just cleared the snow off my truck and the wife's car-maybe an inch of snow on the windows but nothing like everyone else has said that they have in Portland area. We will see how the drive in is..... :cool:

Thanks for the update my friend. I don't think I'll be going to work tomorrow. It's been snowing hard here all day long. Still snowing and supposed to snow tomorrow too. I love snow and always have, but damn.....:p:oops: My commuting partner is my boss (and elk hunting partner and good friend) and lives further away from Portland than I do (lives to the south of me). He has 5' of snow at his house right now.....
Well that's a good excuse for not showing up to work if he doesn't show up.

HA!! Salt!.....This is past the point of using salt. Coming from a state that uses salt, you need to plow the snow off and THEN salt. We don't really have the plows.

I'v got well over 6" up here in NePO just a couple miles strait south of the airport. Now THIS is a storm to shut the city down! That other wussy stuff was just a taste. Considering were not supposed to go more than a degree or so above freezing until Sunday, better get used to the color "White"! And even worse, all local news will be nothing but snow news!
GAWD, I can hardly wait for some good ol' mid 40s and plain old rain!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top