JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to see a pic of your Mauser, JR! :)
It's a five digit mauser I bought from my dad. I believe it is a fn mauser that is dated between 1948 and 1950. Still have some work to do. 20170108_184218.jpg 20170108_184348.jpg 20170108_184221.jpg

In reference to the comment about the "1968" floods earlier in this thread, our house is at 500 foot elevation on the East side of the Coast Range West of Salem. In 1964 we had about 16 inches of snow, and the higher elevations had been building up snowpack for a full month of steady precipitation at below freezing temperatures. Suddenly, it warmed up into the 60's and wave after wave of heavy rain washed over us, melting the snow very quickly. This resulted in massive runoff of snowmelt, coupled with the heavy rainfall.

This was before the major dams on the upper Willamette and its tributaries had been completed, so there was little to hold back the runoff. I recall a new stream (larger than our creek at normal winter flow) leaving the creekbed and running through the field behind our machine shed. The main stream was at least ten times its normal winter flow. Huge areas along the Willamette near Salem were flooded so deep that water ski boats were recruited to rescue families from rooftops, and they had little worry about water depth to travel around the flooded area.

With the dams added since, it would be more difficult to recreate this event. In 1996 the flood crest of our creek came within two inches of the 1964 level, and it didn't come close to flooding as much along the Willamette, though the flow through the field behind the shed was nearly the same.

It will take a large snowpack, including at lower elevations, with a sudden, extensive, high temperature warm front with waves of heavy precipitation to recreate the conditions of 1964.

Thanks for posting. Now I can't get that picture out of my head. Was your dad a lefty and are you also???
I am not a lefty sorry if that picture offended you.I have had it a couple of years and not noticed that guess I am slow. Next payday will be placing an order with Boyd's

Well, I'm still iced in like Tonya Harding's skating rink! It's 37* but the thaw is coming very slowly. We are hoping that we can drive tomorrow. :)

Yeah, we are starting to run out of places to put it here. Starting to worry about the shop roof, not sure what it's rated at but a good 2'+ on it. Pictures are from this morning and we've got another 4"+ since then and still snowing like crazy.

20170109_104629_zps9pgvknts.jpg

20170109_104550_zpsxyb7bdoz.jpg

Got up around 7 this morning and wondered where the wife was... she had shoveled the back patio, the front walk and deck, and was halfway thru the driveway. Overnight warm temps dropped our driveway snowpack from 4' to 2' so she was out there because she wanted to get it before it started in again, or froze over. Anyway, I helped her finish it... what a guy!!

Got the Highlander out of the garage and smooshed some snow in the driveway. Then started up the truck and burrowed out from 2' of snow. Roads in town are all melting. But my stepdaughter says hwys to ID are closed?

I am not a lefty sorry if that picture offended you.I have had it a couple of years and not noticed that guess I am slow. Next payday will be placing an order with Boyd's

I don't think bsa1917hunter meant to disparage you or your fine rifle. When he said "can't get the picture out of my head", I believe he meant that in a complimentary way (it is a beautiful rifle, after all).
Asking if you or Dad are lefties (as in handed, not politically, I'm assuming), is a reasonable inquiry, given the stock has a comb set up for a left handed shooter.
Anyway, most likely a misunderstanding.
Carry on...

I don't think bsa1917hunter meant to disparage you or your fine rifle. When he said "can't get the picture out of my head", I believe he meant that in a complimentary way (it is a beautiful rifle, after all).
Asking if you or Dad are lefties (as in handed, not politically, I'm assuming), is a reasonable inquiry, given the stock has a comb set up for a left handed shooter.
Anyway, most likely a misunderstanding.
Carry on...
No issue no problem. Anyone need a left handed mauser stock?

Indicated 37F outside with occasional off/on heavy wet snow. Strange. About as warm as I have ever seen it here in the Illinois Valley of SW Oregon and still see heavy wet fast snow falling.

Also have seen it 29F and still raining so go figure. Finally seeing a good snow plow in the neighborhood. Did get out through the 30" drifts to get to town for mail and groceries.

The US Postal Service guy drives on (edit ... one) of those useless Foreign horrible 2WD baby Jeep Van thingies. Still no mail delivery. The line at the Post Office was interesting. Weather talk. :)

The Shop Stupid grocery store was crowded. Empty shelves. Did not have what we needed but did manage to get some of it. Now stopped snowing. More snow tonight? Will advise. :)

Last Edited:
All of the schools around here were closed today. No power outages so I'm guessing it's because a lot of the side roads and country roads were impassible this morning. Snowing out there again, I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be another mess.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top