ICE & SNOW REVISITED

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Sgt Nambu, Jan 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

It's a five digit mauser I bought from my dad. I believe it is a fn mauser that is dated between 1948 and 1950. Still have some work to do. 20170108_184218.jpg 20170108_184348.jpg 20170108_184221.jpg

HB of CJ, Sgt Nambu, mjbskwim and 4 others like this.
  2. Provincial

Provincial
    Near Salem, OR

In reference to the comment about the "1968" floods earlier in this thread, our house is at 500 foot elevation on the East side of the Coast Range West of Salem. In 1964 we had about 16 inches of snow, and the higher elevations had been building up snowpack for a full month of steady precipitation at below freezing temperatures. Suddenly, it warmed up into the 60's and wave after wave of heavy rain washed over us, melting the snow very quickly. This resulted in massive runoff of snowmelt, coupled with the heavy rainfall.

This was before the major dams on the upper Willamette and its tributaries had been completed, so there was little to hold back the runoff. I recall a new stream (larger than our creek at normal winter flow) leaving the creekbed and running through the field behind our machine shed. The main stream was at least ten times its normal winter flow. Huge areas along the Willamette near Salem were flooded so deep that water ski boats were recruited to rescue families from rooftops, and they had little worry about water depth to travel around the flooded area.

With the dams added since, it would be more difficult to recreate this event. In 1996 the flood crest of our creek came within two inches of the 1964 level, and it didn't come close to flooding as much along the Willamette, though the flow through the field behind the shed was nearly the same.

It will take a large snowpack, including at lower elevations, with a sudden, extensive, high temperature warm front with waves of heavy precipitation to recreate the conditions of 1964.

HB of CJ, Sgt Nambu, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  3. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Thanks for posting. Now I can't get that picture out of my head. Was your dad a lefty and are you also???

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  4. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

I am not a lefty sorry if that picture offended you.I have had it a couple of years and not noticed that guess I am slow. Next payday will be placing an order with Boyd's

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Caveman Jim, bbbass and Howard1955 like this.
  6. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

8. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    NW Oregon
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Dogwood and snow.jpg
    So much for what the weather experts said...

HB of CJ, bbbass, 308 and 2 others like this.
  9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu
    PDX OR

Well, I'm still iced in like Tonya Harding's skating rink! It's 37* but the thaw is coming very slowly. We are hoping that we can drive tomorrow. :)

10. Howard1955

Howard1955
    Dallas, Oregon

IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0204.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG

Snow is nearly melted here (just west of Monmouth).

oknow, Caveman Jim, Libertas7 and 5 others like this.
  11. NIevo

NIevo
    Hayden, ID

Yeah, we are starting to run out of places to put it here. Starting to worry about the shop roof, not sure what it's rated at but a good 2'+ on it. Pictures are from this morning and we've got another 4"+ since then and still snowing like crazy.

20170109_104629_zps9pgvknts.jpg

20170109_104550_zpsxyb7bdoz.jpg

oknow, Caveman Jim, Sgt Nambu and 5 others like this.
  12. wired

wired
    Yakima

18 inches in the yard. The mail doesnt bother any more.

YxntHl.jpg

13. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Got up around 7 this morning and wondered where the wife was... she had shoveled the back patio, the front walk and deck, and was halfway thru the driveway. Overnight warm temps dropped our driveway snowpack from 4' to 2' so she was out there because she wanted to get it before it started in again, or froze over. Anyway, I helped her finish it... what a guy!!

Got the Highlander out of the garage and smooshed some snow in the driveway. Then started up the truck and burrowed out from 2' of snow. Roads in town are all melting. But my stepdaughter says hwys to ID are closed?

oknow, Sgt Nambu, HB of CJ and 3 others like this.
  14. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Don't know about over there but school was closed cause of some avalanches on Hwy 93.

Sgt Nambu and bbbass like this.
  15. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Woulda been 84 freeway. Anyway probably just an excuse to layover... they did have two snowmobiles on the back of their PU. ;)

Sgt Nambu and mjbskwim like this.
  16. Meridian7750

Meridian7750
    Portland Area
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I don't think bsa1917hunter meant to disparage you or your fine rifle. When he said "can't get the picture out of my head", I believe he meant that in a complimentary way (it is a beautiful rifle, after all).
    Asking if you or Dad are lefties (as in handed, not politically, I'm assuming), is a reasonable inquiry, given the stock has a comb set up for a left handed shooter.
    Anyway, most likely a misunderstanding.
    Carry on...

17. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

No issue no problem. Anyone need a left handed mauser stock?

Sgt Nambu and Meridian7750 like this.
  18. JRuby

JRuby
    St. Helens Oregon

I was thinking about putting a synthetic or laminated stock on it for coast hunting.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  19. HB of CJ

HB of CJ
    42N, 123W Kinda

Indicated 37F outside with occasional off/on heavy wet snow. Strange. About as warm as I have ever seen it here in the Illinois Valley of SW Oregon and still see heavy wet fast snow falling.

Also have seen it 29F and still raining so go figure. Finally seeing a good snow plow in the neighborhood. Did get out through the 30" drifts to get to town for mail and groceries.

The US Postal Service guy drives on (edit ... one) of those useless Foreign horrible 2WD baby Jeep Van thingies. Still no mail delivery. The line at the Post Office was interesting. Weather talk. :)

The Shop Stupid grocery store was crowded. Empty shelves. Did not have what we needed but did manage to get some of it. Now stopped snowing. More snow tonight? Will advise. :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  20. NIevo

NIevo
    Hayden, ID

All of the schools around here were closed today. No power outages so I'm guessing it's because a lot of the side roads and country roads were impassible this morning. Snowing out there again, I'm guessing tomorrow is going to be another mess.