JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
So Grandad's will says his Son-In-Law gets the Match Garand he's been shooting in competition since the Korean War. They live in different states with one in WA.

How does the transfer happen legally after July 1?
Before July 1 the SIL would just drive a long arm home, no paperwork other than the will needed.

HIPAA?
Training?
Storage at someone's FFL or executor till the Background check goes thru?

Federal law allows for interstate transfers when it is an inheritance.

18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts
18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

(A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquires a firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State other than his State of residence from transporting the firearm into or receiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person to purchase or possess such firearm in thatState,

Can't speak to state law. I think it would depend on the state the recipient resides in.

If I could give you legal advice I would say, "who is going to stop you?". But since I cannot, as I only play a lawyer on TV, I would just say that the only way 1639 works is when the firearms dealer gets involved, because he is being forced to follow an unconstitutional law. You on the other hand...

Please contact an FFL or an firearms attorney, that would be your best course of action. Thread closed, thank you.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top