JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
General home owners insurance covers bare land liabilities.
Actually is does not cover bare land in any fashion.

General home-owners insurance will only cover a residential parcel with an affixed dwelling. Even with that it will not cover any commercial activities on that property unless you obtain an additional rider (with additional premiums of course). Non-contiguous recreational property also requires additional riders.

I've got 30 acres in the coast range and do all those things your mentioning on it. However I live on it and monitor it. I know people w/bare land behind gates, might as well be public land, you can't keep people off, signs mean nothing. Unless you visit it on a regular basis and enforce your privacy your not going to get it. The folks driving out from the city don't have a dog in the fight, they just head back home after tearing up the woods and think that's how it's done.

Probably one of the biggest problems w/opening up a piece of land to outsiders is no one thinks like you do and unless your willing to be very specific on it's uses people will do things you won't approve of. I'm pretty lax and generous for the most part and enjoy sharing things. My wife was noticing the neighbor across the hwy (we live on a hill) was running his side by side down a driveway we don't use that accesses the far side of our place. He was doing it pretty regularly, I had left the gate open just being lazy. He wasn't going off the road, just blasting down the driveway and back toward the hwy. I was down there one day and decided to have a talk w/him. He doesn't even have an acre along the river and has no place to ride. He has Parkinson's so I try and be friendly w/him and help him out when I can. He has a guy living w/him so he's doing alright. I told him I was aware he was running his machine up and down the driveway and as far as I was concerned he may as well ride on the trails I had around the place. We have quads and motorcycles and ride around quite a bit, I have some nice trails that I maintain. He was very appreciative and mentioned he just started some new meds that allowed him to do more stuff. I made a point of letting him know that I wanted him to stick only to the trails I had already cut. He was probably going up and down the drive 3-4 times a week for like 15 minutes so I didn't see an issue w/it. Shortly after that my wife reported he was riding around close to the house on some of the more obscure trails. He was riding almost everyday for quite a while. I let it go for a bit then one day I saw where he had been tearing up my swamp, bad. Rutting it up, tearing up all the vegetation and slinging mud everywhere. I was PO'd and shut the gate right then. A couple weeks later he came over to apologize, he knew exactly why I closed it up. I told him I was pretty dissapointed how he treated my land and that the gate would be staying closed. He said he understood and was just all excited 'cause his meds were allowing him to get out and do stuff. It showed me that he really had no respect for my property, I had asked him specifically to stay on the trails, he made his own and tore up a bunch of trees I was trying to get going around the swamp. I was being nice opening up my land to him, he took advantage of me and he's a neighbor. Not some yayhoo from out of town.

I have a bunch of ranges but only close friends and family use them. W/30 acres I can do 300 yds but my bench range is only 200. I would have to get closer than I want to the boundaries to get anymore distance on my place. I don't want to be too close to the neighbors and I have a tree farm so there are a lot of trees blocking the view depending on where you're at. You'll be setting up targets off your land if you plan on shooting rifles, something to consider.

In my opinion 4 acres is not enough to open up to anybody other than family or close friends on an invite basis
I agree. As you mentioned in your post not even sure if anyone would be interested I doubt you would have more than a few people that were. Also more than a few people on the property and four acres would seem crowded. Keep it as your personal playground for yourself, family and a few friends,

Actually is does not cover bare land in any fashion.

General home-owners insurance will only cover a residential parcel with an affixed dwelling. Even with that it will not cover any commercial activities on that property unless you obtain an additional rider (with additional premiums of course). Non-contiguous recreational property also requires additional riders.

Actually it does. I called my home owners insurance provider twice and they read it outloud to me and they are mailing me a copy. A co-worker of mine knows the same to be true in his dealings. You may be double covered on your bare land insurance policy.

My liability ins extends to bare land.

Actually it does. I called my home owners insurance provider twice and they read it outloud to me and they are mailing me a copy. A co-worker of mine knows the same to be true in his dealings. You may be double covered on your bare land insurance policy.

This.

When we bought our Wind River property we asked about insurance for it. Our agent (State Farm) told us that our homeowner's policy covered it as long as there were no dwellings on it. I can't believe he would have passed up the opportunity to sell a policy if he could.

6FDCB78C-1F22-482A-BCEA-2DD98CD1DE70.jpeg
General home owners insurance covers bare land liabilities.
Not for commercial use. I would bet zoning would have to be changed to allow the use, maby even a conditional use permit. The neighbors and county commissioners are not likely to allow it. If it is a no charge family and friends operation it might fly with little intervention. 4 acres isn't much, unless you have a great hill for a backstop, you can't even guarantee projectiles will stay contained on your property.

View attachment 415074
Not for commercial use. I would bet zoning would have to be changed to allow the use, maby even a conditional use permit. The neighbors and county commissioners are not likely to allow it. If it is a no charge family and friends operation it might fly with little intervention. 4 acres isn't much, unless you have a great hill for a backstop, you can't even guarantee projectiles will stay contained on your property.

Please, let's keep the replies to known information only.

Please, let's keep the replies to known information only.
That is known information.............we have had the conversation with our insurance agent about putting a sporting clays course on our back 80. In our case, the county would allow it if we specified shotguns only and we have (and own) high hills around the proposed site. We have over 200 acres here and are pretty well connected. You appear over your head in any event.

Did you tell him it is remote land that you don't live on?

Words, terms, and phrases like your excerpts to follow .... I would bet..... maby even ..... are not likely to allow it. might fly with little intervention.... are what I refer to as speculation.

Words, terms, and phrases like your excerpts to follow .... I would bet..... maby even ..... are not likely to allow it. might fly with little intervention.... are what I refer to as speculation.
So, Do you know your county commissioners or the commercial laws of the state and county? Go to a meeting or two and see what there opinions are about your intended use. I have the phone numbers of all of mine on my phone and they have all been here at the ranch for dinner from one time to another. We have very open conservitive representitives here, I have ongoing dealings with people in Western Oregon, have a boat and equipment storage yard there for 20 years. There are very few of them that will be sympathetic to your plans. They don't like guns and want Forrest land to stay as untouched as possible. You will be dealing with a bunch of granola eaters that don't even like the idea of private property in there pristine government controlled environment. Check them out......how long do you think it will take a neighbor that you are going to disturb with noise and uncontrolled projectiles waifing byond your property lines to complain to the powers to be? It is a tough road. Your wood lot isn't a complete description of the property either. You are parsing your words to minimize the truth of the issue. All that will do is allow the insurance company the opportunity to deny a claim when you need it.

Your speculating again. You forgot to consider my more than adequate back stop. (Of which you have never seen or asked about)

You've already refered to the property as remote, now your asking about neighbor's complaints. Makes me start to question your definition of remote. Again your making assumptions instead of realising and asking about things you don't know. Are there any neighbors? How many? How far away are they? Do they shoot a little or a lot? Have I already talked to them even?

Again, this is why I asked for a fact based discussion because straightening out all your misknown facts is frustrating and I no longer have the time nor the interest to keep correcting you.

Take care.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews