JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am opposed to all background checks. Before 1968 we didn't have the historical problem with mail order guns. Of course back then if you committed a crime you were either shot or went to prison – maybe both. Then they passed a mail ban on guns and required background checks at stores. It's taken 40 years of effort, but now they are trying to close all sales and for what purpose. Does anyone, including 0 believe the gandbangers in Chicago or the Cartels on the border are going to be defeated by this new system?

The NICS system is underfunded now, if you add all the private sales to it how much of a delay will be there then? Even if they say we won't include relatives or CPL people, what do you think they will want next year? People are naïve if they trust the anti-gunners to not be trying to form a registry. On another forum someone tried to point out the Government could never organize a registry with so much data and then use it for confiscation. Stupid comment. If Google and your credit card company has the information on you they seem to, it would not be a problem for "Uncle Sugar".

Wake up! It is a Right to have a firearm. I am not guilty of any crime and shouldn't have to prove anything to possess a firearm. If the other guy is a criminal and lies to me, he is the felon. Prosecute them to the max! The Government had over 35,000 NICS rejections last year that were due to people being felons, but only about 4 dozen were prosecuted. Why? Court adjudicated mentally ill people are suppose to be reported to NICS now, but most States ignore it.

The Government, it appears, will keep passing laws and then not enforcing them which creates more problems requiring, in their minds, more laws. The breaking point will be when they somehow justify that with all the laws and nothing appearing to work, we just need to "ignore" the 2nd Amendment and require all firearms be turned in. Believe it!

Butch

My 2-cents.
A background, as what is in place today or being proposed for tomorrow only really does two things, if it were to work perfectly:

1) Makes one avenue of obtaining a firearm unattractive to criminals. It still has two other sources to deal with; stealing and black-market.
2) Has the potential of denying a firearm to someone contemplating suicide (the biggest death statistic involving guns). Caveat is that records are being provided properly (which in to many states, it is not). Yes, I know that it wont stop all 20,000 each year. But I do think proper health records would help, since I think a good portion of the population wouldn't know where to steal/black-market without an extra amount of effort.

Where the gun-control lobby's have their marshmallow rainbows and unicorns, I have my vision above.

Personally. if the mental records were more available, and it keeps the criminals away from stores and gun-shows, I'd be ok with that and a general background check that does NOT contain a list of what I am buying. Just that it is OK for me to buy that category of product. It might help the police/doctors focus more on were the real problems are. If we did have to keep records, let the private citizens keep them.

The real problem is one of trust. I don't trust the gun-control lobby and their ultimate goal. I don't trust that there are more good-guys than government power-mongers.

They will just come back next year for something else. Little by little stripping our rights away.

I have to agree with you there. And I think it is also a different battle than playing defense every-time they attack after a tragedy. When there is NO tragedy, we need to be promoting a general culture of safe gun-ownership, scorning those who are not, and inviting/education those who know nothing about guns/history.

i did all that to...now im 800 miles from everything i know and watching it all happen again. draw your own line sir. the pen aint workin in OUR favor if you havent noticed.
I think the pen worked on the AWB this time around and when they get the BGcheck it will be watered down. It sucks but unfortunatly people get the govt. they deserve. My own line in the sand I keep quiet.

the "universal background check" laws that are being introduced are including a limited registration that lasts up to 5 years unless the department decides it is necessary to keep those records. so basically it is registration hidden in the fine print. it is exactly what you should be fighting against.

No record is ever tossed. The gov keeps it all. Anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

A background check is in fact registration. You are linked to the firearm/part, serial number, pretty much forever. Yes, of course, you could have sold it. It could have been resold 10x times w/o a BGC. That doesn't change the fact that there is a record somewhere that says you owned a gun, and most likely still do own some type of gun, chl/registration not required.

Do you really believe every phone call, email, text, web post, is monitored and saved intact in this surveillance state, and logged forever - but something that ties your ID to a firearm is tossed? That is laughable.

Paulie on here said once that if anyone thinks the government disposes of records it deems important after five years they are a fool. He was right.

Most of us on here have had background checks done on us. Hell, I might as well have got the rubber glove and a DNA test taken (NFA). Just not naive about what that means.

Actually you shouldn't stress over all of this too much since gov won't even need access to a database/computer to go collecting. People will be starving in the coming economic collapse and desperate people do nasty things. Friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances, the UPS driver, etc, etc will all share their story of that guy up the street or down that long dirt road that owns guns (and didn't turn them in for food/water) in exchange for a bologna sandwich. That is just the way it will be. It will happen. Selfishly, I hope later than sooner, but it will happen. No populace this misinformed and gullible will ever retain any real 'rights.'

I think the pen worked on the AWB this time around and when they get the BGcheck it will be watered down. It sucks but unfortunatly people get the govt. they deserve. My own line in the sand I keep quiet.

LOL...the pen created the AWB & BGcheck. i for one dont "deserve" being treated as a criminal by my govt.

FYI....your line....its behind you!

If all this was really about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals in an effective manner, few of us would oppose it. It's not. Heck, if it were truly about reducing negligent deaths, we wouldn't have an issue with a regularly renewed gun license that requires a competency test, much like our drivers license. Sadly, it's not.

But just for a moment, think about what a wonderful world it would be to live in if we could truly trust in systems like that. Imagine a world so devoid of gungrabbers that we could start using programs that would require gun safety competency. Of course, in a world with people that sensible, we probably wouldn't need any sort of safety courses in the first place.

Is there not already a background check to purchase a firearm? there has been since ive been around. all this bill is for is to get that much closer to disarmament period. so feel free to contact your conress man/women and send an email but I belive that just as voting if it made a difference it would be illegal. In my thoughts commiting treason to the American public by selling out there rights should be dealt with swift and harsh punishment as our forefathers would have, instead we all let it happen and do nothing but complain about it as if in the future its going to get better with these theifs in office? the longer we sit and wait, the more liberties we lose.

Yeah, I can attest to the concept that the US Government does not willing throw data away. There is data on their servers that had to be scanned off of punch cards and reels.

2) ... But I do think proper health records would help, since I think a good portion of the population wouldn't know where to steal/black-market without an extra amount of effort..

This is where every one of the proposals falls apart. Not only is this illegal access of private health records, it puts the burden of denial of Constitutional rights into the hands of a physician, without benefit of the judicial process.

I am against all background checks. In fact, I currently won't buy a gun from a private party requiring a copy of my drivers license. Private sales are just that -- Private! If I choose to purchase from a dealer, I will fill out the proper forms, and take the risk that at some point in the future the ATF or whatever government agency will rifle through the dealers forms to collect my personal information.

If a nutjob or criminal is going to engage in a crime, it is not the tools fault. Enough people are easily fooled by the ruling class to believe that less freedom is the answer. The liberal fascists in the ruling class believe all the obese, tatted-up, flip-flop wearing mouthbreathers out there are too stupid to have that much freedom, and can't handle it. But MORE FREEDOM is always the answer. If people choose to abuse their freedoms, then they should personally pay the price. And its sad that there are victims, but if more people chose to fight instead of being sheep, there would be less victims in the world.

If people would just look up once in a while, they will see a country that has slouched into fascism and statism. Why so many people tolerate the large, bloated, wasteful, intrusive, and corrupt government we have is truly disgraceful. Whether it's stupidity or apathy to blame, the voters have allowed this to happen. We have the worst government in our nations' history and only a few us seem to even care.

I am against all background checks. In fact, I currently won't buy a gun from a private party requiring a copy of my drivers license. Private sales are just that -- Private! If I choose to purchase from a dealer, I will fill out the proper forms, and take the risk that at some point in the future the ATF or whatever government agency will rifle through the dealers forms to collect my personal information.

If a nutjob or criminal is going to engage in a crime, it is not the tools fault. Enough people are easily fooled by the ruling class to believe that less freedom is the answer. The liberal fascists in the ruling class believe all the obese, tatted-up, flip-flop wearing mouthbreathers out there are too stupid to have that much freedom, and can't handle it. But MORE FREEDOM is always the answer. If people choose to abuse their freedoms, then they should personally pay the price. And its sad that their are victims, but if more people chose to fight instead of being sheep, there would be less victims in the world.

If people would just look up once in a while, they will see a country that has slouched into fascism and statism. Why so many people tolerate the large, bloated, wasteful, intrusive, and corrupt government we have is truly disgraceful. Whether it's stupidity or apathy to blame, the voters have allowed this to happen. We have the worst government in our nations' history and only a few us seem to even care.

I agree with you on this 110% and I belive that everybody should also

Call me an idealist. But I think my original post is correct. Some of you are not getting what I said. I NEVER said that the current run of gun control bills should pass or would help. I do not believe that to be true. Some of you are getting what I said and simply disagree. No problems there.

I have to agree with you there. And I think it is also a different battle than playing defense every-time they attack after a tragedy. When there is NO tragedy, we need to be promoting a general culture of safe gun-ownership, scorning those who are not, and inviting/education those who know nothing about guns/history.

I agree 100%. The problem is that gun ownership will not be in the media spotlight unless there is a tragedy. Notice we do not hear anything anymore, even locally about how the Clackamas Town Center shootings may have been averted by a responsible gun owner. We have to be proactive, in our pursuit, but we constantly lose ground. Look at other issues such as marijuana and gay marriage. These agendas are gaining ground because the media will glorify them like crazy. But responsible gun ownership will not get that kind of press.

I think we can all agree that we need to do EVERYTHING we can to highlight responsible gun ownership.

MAKE NO MISTAKE

They are compliing a registry. They are going to force you to run a background check between private individuals now. You'll have to FILL OUT AN FFL FORM. THAT IS THE REGISTRY. All the have to do is at some point in the future force the FFL's to send in those forms and they then know who has what guns.

A background check of a buyer IS JUST THAT. WHY would you have to provide any other info for a "background check" of a buyer - you wouldn't. It's a trick.

No record is ever tossed. The gov keeps it all. Anyone who thinks differently is deluded.

A background check is in fact registration. You are linked to the firearm/part, serial number, pretty much forever. Yes, of course, you could have sold it. It could have been resold 10x times w/o a BGC. That doesn't change the fact that there is a record somewhere that says you owned a gun, and most likely still do own some type of gun, chl/registration not required.

Do you really believe every phone call, email, text, web post, is monitored and saved intact in this surveillance state, and logged forever - but something that ties your ID to a firearm is tossed? That is laughable.

Paulie on here said once that if anyone thinks the government disposes of records it deems important after five years they are a fool. He was right.

Most of us on here have had background checks done on us. Hell, I might as well have got the rubber glove and a DNA test taken (NFA). Just not naive about what that means.

Actually you shouldn't stress over all of this too much since gov won't even need access to a database/computer to go collecting. People will be starving in the coming economic collapse and desperate people do nasty things. Friends, family, neighbors, acquaintances, the UPS driver, etc, etc will all share their story of that guy up the street or down that long dirt road that owns guns (and didn't turn them in for food/water) in exchange for a bologna sandwich. That is just the way it will be. It will happen. Selfishly, I hope later than sooner, but it will happen. No populace this misinformed and gullible will ever retain any real 'rights.'

I guarantee that the records of sales are not destroyed as required by federal law. All it would take is one ATF conspirator with a large hard drive in his basement

We need to go to work to roll it all back to pre-1934. Seriously.

No ATF, no IRS.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

No more background checks at all, and far stiffer penalties for those who break the law.

I have one more purchase to make through a dealer later this week, and then I will never do it again. You do what you must to get what you need, or want. After the end of this week though, I will be private sale only and no paperwork. I will never assist these would be "rulers" with the creation of even one scrap of paper that could possibly help in the eventual tracking and confiscation of a firearm.

I'm done with the games.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads