JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I would agree to any background check to purchase any firearm. Shoot, even a knife. If it was a background check, period. This is not the fight I think we should be in.

The good fight (imho) is any sort of a registry. Background check to purchase should be fine, but there should be NO mention of make, model or serial number in this "Background Check." But what the liberals are trying to do is get a registry and they are calling it a background check. We must fight this so-called background check, that is really a registry in disguise.
I am a conservative and stay pretty strong to the right. But let the government know who is trying to purchase a gun, but they should not be allowed to know what the make and model are, and should not be allowed to know if the transaction went through. Would you be ok with getting a background check prior to deciding if you want to purchase? I think that way anyone could get a 'check' whether or not they buy. I know there are probably technicalities that may not work, but overall I think this is the thing that we should propose. Say I am looking at a rifle at the pawn shop, and I agree to the background check. It passes, and then I decide that I want a shotgun too. No further background check, just the one. That is how it should be.

Again all this is just my opinion. But I think that is "Common Sense", as the President likes to put it. But as soon as there is a registry, that is too much.

Instead of any enhanced background check crap,the govt. should simply put in place a registry of people that have a prescription for psych-drugs.Would just be included in the normal gun check we have now.

the "universal background check" laws that are being introduced are including a limited registration that lasts up to 5 years unless the department decides it is necessary to keep those records. so basically it is registration hidden in the fine print. it is exactly what you should be fighting against.

Sure 90% of gun owners as they like to say might be O.K. with that. If there was an instant check that anybody could do online that would state you are legally able to buy a gun. No records, no model number or serial number put in a data base somewhere.
But don't drink their Kool-Aide! That is not what they are able to do at this time nor is it what their end game is. I was a bit on the fence on this issue at first but after researching things understand they won't be happy just at background checks and I think from the tone of your post you know it too.

Why should one have to prove they are not a felon in order to exercise a right? Also background checks without any kind of registry would be completely unenforceable and criminals will still buy and sell firearms without background checks so why should honest Joe citizen have to go through extra burden and cost when criminals won't. Additionally even if you require registration Haynes vs The United states says felons don't have to register their guns because it would be self incrimination so again this would just target law abiding citizens and eventually lead to confiscation

Last Edited:
Felons/guns is another issue, thats already a law like it or not. I admit it would be nice to know that the person I'm selling a gun to is legal to own so it doesnt come back to haunt me later. Right now a drivers liscence and a copy of a billl of sale is all I've got. Either way any bill proposed up till now is a step towards registration so I'm hoping Vaultman will do the right thing at this the 11th hour and call and send Emails State and Fed opposing background checks.

I will address what I can.

Sure 90% of gun owners as they like to say might be O.K. with that. If there was an instant check that anybody could do online that would state you are legally able to buy a gun. No records, no model number or serial number put in a data base somewhere.
But don't drink their Kool-Aide! That is not what they are able to do at this time nor is it what their end game is. I was a bit on the fence on this issue at first but after researching things understand they won't be happy just at background checks and I think from the tone of your post you know it too.

You do understand my tone. Tone is hard to type, but I think you get it. I seem to think some others may not.

Why should one have to prove they are not a felon in order to exercise a right? Also background checks without any kind of registry would be completely unenforceable and criminals will still buy and sell firearms without background checks so why should honest Joe citizen have to go through extra burden and cost when criminals won't. Additionally even if you require registration Haynes vs The United states says felons don't have to register their guns because it would be self incrimination so again this would just target law abiding citizens and eventually lead to confiscation

Why should I have to renew my drivers license when some people drive without one? I, honest Joe, have to go through that burden, when the drug dealers and illegals wont. The court case would be of interest to me. Is that a supreme court case, I am going to have to look it up. That would be an interesting read.

Felons/guns is another issue, thats already a law like it or not. I admit it would be nice to know that the person I'm selling a gun to is legal to own so it doesnt come back to haunt me later. Right now a drivers liscence and a copy of a billl of sale is all I've got. Either way any bill proposed up till now is a step towards registration so I'm hoping Vaultman will do the right thing at this the 11th hour and call and send Emails State and Fed opposing background checks.

I have. I do not support any of these so-called "background check" or common sense laws that are being pushed now. Especially in my home state of Oregon. The one that really gets me is concealed carry in a public building. When has this been a problem? This is BS.

Now is not the time to ridicule others when they make points, perhaps they do not under stand.

Vaultman, if it was as simple as just checking for bad guys and by checking good guys it worked most would say ok.
The very clear point about any check is.

1. It will never stop a felon or criminal from getting a firearm, I know right now where I could get one in 30 minutes.

2. Background checks are like Marijuana, it is a like gateway drug for Liberals. First backgrounds, then registration, then a license to own even own a gun, maybe a IQ test, or written test like the DMV has, and will ask you to show you are able to have a gun. Liberals want guns to be like cars and will regulate it accordingly.

3. Background check do not stop crimes, there is little or no evidence that background checks saves lives. It is an unfounded theory. Kinda like Bigfoot.

4. You should not need to prove anything by being checked to exercise your 2nd amendment right. Imagine if they said you could only speak openly if approved by the government? The 1st and 2nd are both Constitutional law. None should requires qualification to exercise.

Vaultman, I understand your view to want to do something that seems so simple, trust me, that is exactly what they want to convince conservatives. If you are indeed a conservative it is scary that you not only understand their agenda you are willing to accept it as law. I hope my post helps even a little convince you that giving up any right no matter how small they tell you it is, will have HUGE consequences.

1. But it would make a felon or criminal out of the person that sold or transferred that firearm. Assuming the scenario I mentioned in original post, I am not a felon or criminal and I would not be transferring any firearm to someone without a background check, and risk my rights.

2. You may be right here, being in Oregon, because a majority of those in office have a (D) after their name. I think you are spot on that liberals want guns to be like cars. I just do not always buy into the slippery slope mentality. A law could be passed, that allows background checks like I mentioned, without registry, make, model, or serial number. I do not think it is likely at this time, but it could be done.

3. They would stop me from selling to someone (private party transfer) that is a criminal. Therefor stopping me from aiding and abetting.

4. What if I just got out of the psyche ward? What if James Holmes got away from the police after the Colorado shooting and went to purchase more firearms the following day? I know "what if's" are bad, but I believe in some restrictions. A felon cannot own a firearm. I am a firm believer in both 1A and 2A.

Last Edited:
You don't have a constitutional right to drive a car though. I understand what you're trying to say and obviously I think we would all prefer background checks like what you mentioned versus how they are now but honestly I think people who we fear shouldn't have guns should not be on the streets. Too many violent offenders are getting reduced sentences, plea bargains and getting let off early the focus should be on changing that instead of trying to put limits in inanimate objects. Also Haynes vs US is a supreme court case

Why isn't the NICS check that is done now good enough? It didn't work when it came to Holmes or Cho. It was irrelevant when it came to Kinkle or Lanza.

In order to maintain the rights of the 99.9% and keep guns out of the reach of the 0.1% there has to be a paradigm shift in thinking about a process for fairly adjudicating folks who are mentally ill. It's far, far, far easier to write this than it is to put in place. It will be and should be a very expensive endeavor for the state to prove that a person should not be allowed to enjoy their 2A rights. That said, is there any amount of money that a Holmes or Cho is worth in terms of pursuing a band from the 2A rights?

Sorry, but I don't think I know anyone who would actually submit to a background check , even if it were law. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Unconstitutional laws are just that, and illegal. What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?

I'm really getting sick of this crap.

3. Background check do not stop crimes, there is little or no evidence that background checks saves lives. It is an unfounded theory. Kinda like Bigfoot.

Actually is has been proven not to work. Canada tried it with long guns, after years and millions of $$ it has not been used to solve ONE CRIME. The database was hacked into and used by criminals to find where they could steal guns. All of that has been proven.

have we already lost the fight gentleman? legislation like the above only makes criminals out of people trying despratly to follow the laws already on the books. i know im from california. ive given up too much in my search for relative freedom from a tyranical state. how much are you willing to give up ( or give in for that matter) before its time to stand up and act?:huh:

have we already lost the fight gentleman? legislation like the above only makes criminals out of people trying despratly to follow the laws already on the books. i know im from california. ive given up too much in my search for relative freedom from a tyranical state. how much are you willing to give up ( or give in for that matter) before its time to stand up and act.
Doing what I can by calling , writing and informing the low info voters. Other than that what are you suggesting?

how do folks feel about the Washington Arms Collectors requiring a background check as part of their membership requirements? did you find that disconcerting?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top