Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I wore out a barrel, almost catastrophicly!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Classic, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

I was shooting my 1911 Colt Gold Cup Trophy today and noticed that everything was going low. Adjusted the sites but it was still sloppy - I'm normally one of the best shots at the range if I do say so myself. The gun has 35-40K down the pipe (all by me:)) but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it. I tore down the guns to clean them and as they soaked I started separating brass and noticed a cup like bulge, almost a tear in the side of every piece of 45acp brass. I looked at the barrel and noticed a depression on the inside of the barrel where the lug attaches. Then I examined the back of the lug and it's cracked where the lug base attaches to the barrel..... (Terrible pick but this should give you an idea)

Cracked_zpsf9av2wlv.jpg

GUYS, THIS IS WHY YOU INSPECT YOUR BRASS!!! I looked at the brass from my last range trip and there is just a hint of the now bulge area. I shoot between 200-400 rounds at least once a week and my brass is how I tune my gun. Anyway I'm thinking one more trip and I would have damaged the frame, slide and/or ME.
    Luckily Brownells has the Ed Brown NM Barrel on sale for $139.99 and I had to get another Wilson 47D mag while I was there:cool:
    Safety first guys!

Sgt Nambu, decklin, MarkAd and 3 others like this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Awesome. Time to wear out another one.
    What's your pet load for that ol' gal?

3. Classic

230 gr RN Xtreme bullets
    5.2 gr AA#2 powder
    1.25 OAL

I use the same in my Les Baer when I take it out to play ;)

4. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Right on. I remember the old days when everyone used the Hensley and Gibbs 200gr SWC. Matter a fact, I'm going to try to sell an RCBS model soon!

5. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

let me know what you want for it

6. Classic

?? Not for sale, a new Ed Brown match grade barrel will be in it sometime next week.

7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

i though you were speaking of the H&G mold

8. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Some of use still use the old Hensley molds! If it aint broke, it don't need fixing!

Certaindeaf likes this.
  9. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Glad your pistol, and you, are ok! Good job catching that crack, it sounds like too nice a pistol to ruin.

10. Classic

I decided to send it back to Colt. The gun has been smithed (trigger reduction setup & a non MIM sear & disconnect) but I have not altered the barrel, lug, bushing or frame. Hopefully I will be able to post a plus on their customer service.

11. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip on the Ed Brown barrel. Just ordered one up for a Franken45 that needs a replacement.

Classic likes this.
  12. Classic