JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was shooting my 1911 Colt Gold Cup Trophy today and noticed that everything was going low. Adjusted the sites but it was still sloppy - I'm normally one of the best shots at the range if I do say so myself. The gun has 35-40K down the pipe (all by me:)) but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at it. I tore down the guns to clean them and as they soaked I started separating brass and noticed a cup like bulge, almost a tear in the side of every piece of 45acp brass. I looked at the barrel and noticed a depression on the inside of the barrel where the lug attaches. Then I examined the back of the lug and it's cracked where the lug base attaches to the barrel..... (Terrible pick but this should give you an idea)

GUYS, THIS IS WHY YOU INSPECT YOUR BRASS!!! I looked at the brass from my last range trip and there is just a hint of the now bulge area. I shoot between 200-400 rounds at least once a week and my brass is how I tune my gun. Anyway I'm thinking one more trip and I would have damaged the frame, slide and/or ME.
Luckily Brownells has the Ed Brown NM Barrel on sale for $139.99 and I had to get another Wilson 47D mag while I was there:cool:
Safety first guys!

Cracked_zpsf9av2wlv.jpg

Glad your pistol, and you, are ok! Good job catching that crack, it sounds like too nice a pistol to ruin.

I decided to send it back to Colt. The gun has been smithed (trigger reduction setup & a non MIM sear & disconnect) but I have not altered the barrel, lug, bushing or frame. Hopefully I will be able to post a plus on their customer service.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top