JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wonder if I could volunteer at a school as a parent (when my kids become older) to be a armed citizen at the school.

I wonder if a group of well meaning, and trained adult parents, with some background check and a concealed permit would be allowed to at least offer an armed volunteer to the PTO. If there were 10 dads or moms that had were qualified, would a school let you monitor the halls.

Anyone ever tried or heard of this, or something similar? I am almost crazy enough to try it, but if it has been tried I would like to educate myself about how it worked elsewhere.

Unlikely unless laws get changed. Anyone performing access control or security duties except on their own property technically must be dpsst licensed. The school would have to insure them. That means money. School districts are always begging for more money as is, it simply wont happen. Best bet it just allowing teachers to carry without getting fired. Parents volunteering as classroom assistants who just happen to possibly be legally carrying might work too - but not if your primary function is security. Compare to pd reserves - wirk for free but cost a lot in training and insuring just the same.

Just volenteer to help with a class, my wife does reading and rocket math at our elemantary school. She is there all day everyday, since she is not an employee she could conceal carry. I'm not sure about Washington though.

Just volenteer to help with a class, my wife does reading and rocket math at our elemantary school. She is there all day everyday, since she is not an employee she could conceal carry. I'm not sure about Washington though.
Nope, not in WA. Not allowed in building at any time and only on property with CPL to drop off and pick up your family (in my case a grandchild) child.

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. <broken link removed> :

[18 U.S.C. <broken link removed> ] does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—

(I) not loaded; and

(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;

(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;

(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or

(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

[18 U.S.C. <broken link removed> ] does not apply to the discharge of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) as part of a program approved by a school in the school zone, by an individual who is participating in the program;

(iii) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in a school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual; or

(iv) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity.

Definitions

The term "school zone" means—

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. <broken link removed> the term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.

Penalty
18 U.S.C. <broken link removed> establishes the penalty for violating GFSZA:

Whoever violates the Act shall be fined not more than $5,000, imprisoned for not more than 5 years, or both. Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the term of imprisonment imposed under this paragraph shall not run concurrently with any other term of imprisonment imposed under any other provision of law.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top