JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Which only supports what Im saying. Many convenience stores are family owned and operated. These are the type of businesses/companies where you wont see any policies prohibiting firearms. These guys are risking their lives, the lives of their customers, and possibly their businesses (after lawsuits) for maybe a few hundred bucks. My guess is these murders are mostly from family owned businesses and not coporate-owned convenience stores where employees are prohibited to carry handguns. There's just too much risk involved for corporations to allow minimum wage employees to carry. These employees dont go through any firearms training whatsoever. Ive owned a business before and would never take such a risk.

You've been to Autozones and other similar stores before. Do you really want some of these guys making critical decisions with guns in their hands? I can't even trust them to find the right part I need sometimes. What's next? Not going to McDonald's because employees can't carry McGlocks?

Had I been in McDonalds in San Yesidro in 81 I certainly would have prayed someone was armed.

"Do you really want some of these guys making critical decisions with guns in their hands?"

Tell us, how do you differ from those people you deride as unworthy of using a weapon? Do we really want someone like you making critical decisions with a gun in your hand?

Wow, you must be very smart basing such heavy opinions on guesses and unproven assumptions.

Not naive, just statistics. I've read many articles about bank robberies over the years, and I don't recall ever reading one where the robbers shot the employees after getting what they wanted.

I can recall several in the last year, one particular was pioneer chicken the robber took them to ope the safe and on camera
executed them as the kneeled on the floor after opening the safe.
The issues are that many many are shot, not always killed that may be why you do not see it i the papers as death sells papers crippling and sever injuries usually do not.

You've been to Autozones and other similar stores before. Do you really want some of these guys making critical decisions with guns in their hands? I can't even trust them to find the right part I need sometimes. What's next? Not going to McDonald's because employees can't carry McGlocks?.

You make a good point Marc, but it is the individuals rights to decide there own mortality and if a gun is pointed at you. Well it is your life not Autiozones life. If you die the business stays open while your family tries to sue them and end up on the street. As I said you make great points but Autozone owns your time not your life and and employee decides his life in in danger has that God given right to fight with every last breath Autozone should not and can not by policy tell me my life is not worth fighting for to save.
:cool:

Not naive, just statistics. I've read many articles about bank robberies over the years, and I don't recall ever reading one where the robbers shot the employees after getting what they wanted. I can't say that I disagree with what Autozone did. Everything worked out fine this time, but it could've been a totally different outcome. If you are going to stop shopping at stores because of their policies regarding employees and handguns, you're going to have a very, very short list.

Most people on here are upset not because of the Autozone's policy, but because of their lack of a little discretion and common sense enforcing said policy. The guy was following the policy after all because he left his gun in the truck while at work. The armed robbery introduced extraordinary circumstances which forced him to violate the policy in an attempt to save a human life. Autozone's management could have exercised some discretion enforcing the strict policy considering the extraordinary circumstances. It's as simple as that.

I just sent sent AutoZone a e-mail letting them know that I would no longer do business
with them or any of their affiliates stating that AutoZone is a unsafe place for their
customers and workers. They just hunged their " welcome armed robbers sign ".

Yeah, never been a big a.z. fan... I have a Schucks just down the road from me. +1 on their return/warrenty policy! My wifes old Subaru loved to blow through altenators. I bought one with a lifetime warrenty the very first time, and I think I got 3 or more for free from stores all across the state.
Kind of a shame. I feel for the guy being a first time father myself. Kudo's to him! My finger would of 'slipped' on the trigger though, and I would of put one in his leg....

Well this is a bummer since they just built a AutoZone right down the road form my house. But it is unfortunet that they are not the only company that adopts this policy. I use to work for Safeway, and back then they had the same policy. I am pretty sure that if criminals new that employees were allowed to carry, they would stay away form that particular establishment......

Most corporate policies involving guns also involve knives and are in place to keep workers from killing each other. When someone dies at a workplace from another worker's violence, the corporation stands to lose a lot of money in lawsuits. They are not in place to keep the workers from defending themselves against an outside attack, but like mentioned before, it's all about money.
For Autozone to fire this employee after he quite possibly saved the life of his manager is absurd.
I don't spend much money at Autozone, preferring to spend it with the smaller, locally owned stores. This will influence my future purchases and I will be one to let them know.

Sent them this:

Since your corporate policy is zero tolerance for guns inside your store, and you fired an employee who used one to stop an armed robbery, and since I have a concealed carry permit and am usually armed, it looks like I won't be buying anything in your stores in the foreseeable future.

look up Oriely's Policy, I'll bet if it happened there that they would do the same thing and fire the employee.

I run a independent shop and make the decisions on were to by parts, I never buy "Duralast" parts from Auto Zone, they suck!

I rarely buy from Orielys even though they are right next door to me, thier parts suck and that is why you have to put an alt. in your Subaru all the time. If you had spent the $$ on a good one, you would have only had to replace it one time.

I used to run a Firestone store and was written up one time for having my Firearm in my car on company property and was told the next time I would be fired.

Where I work now, I have my XDS on my hip at all times. If a crack head comes in to rob us, he will recieve a .45 round not $$ from my till. Hopefully that never happens but on the off chance it does then I will be prepared for the end results to go my way. I also have 2 technicians in my shop that have firearms in there tool box's.

I worked at Schucks before it was O'Reillys. They probably would fire him too. I worked in a store that prior to my being there, was held up at gunpoint twice in the previous year. Fortunately, I never experienced it, but there was no way to protect yourself. They installed a camera system and that was about it. Seeing as I worked for several of "auto parts industry standards" I try not to shop at any of them. I can't handle it. So I am left to buying online.

But look at it from the coprate side of things, if your employee accidently shot a customer what would the law suit be? Massive? $2000 in a robbery is cheap

and if the employee gets shot corporate says well he knew the rules and still decided to stay there and work soooo sorry

and if the employee gets shot corporate says well he knew the rules and still decided to stay there and work soooo sorry

I think what is being missed is Autozone has a contract for employment not a contract for human life. Autozone is a typical company that actually thinks they own you like a slave and this is 1812 not 2012.
I recently left a company who was doing things illegally, I turned them in and guess who suffered ? ME, because I used information that was attained why employed, it mattered not that they were stealing for the state and falsifying documents I was the one who came out with the short end.
I digress It is not a matter of fair or unfair, companies do not own people and a case like this is scary as some think the company has the right to raise the mortality rate of employees because it is policy is insanity at its finest !

Which only supports what Im saying. Many convenience stores are family owned and operated. These are the type of businesses/companies where you wont see any policies prohibiting firearms. These guys are risking their lives, the lives of their customers, and possibly their businesses (after lawsuits) for maybe a few hundred bucks. My guess is these murders are mostly from family owned businesses and not coporate-owned convenience stores where employees are prohibited to carry handguns. There's just too much risk involved for corporations to allow minimum wage employees to carry. These employees dont go through any firearms training whatsoever. Ive owned a business before and would never take such a risk.

You've been to Autozones and other similar stores before. Do you really want some of these guys making critical decisions with guns in their hands? I can't even trust them to find the right part I need sometimes. What's next? Not going to McDonald's because employees can't carry McGlocks?

I have worked for many family owned businesses in my career as a CFO for over 35 years, and for a couple of large corporations. Even wrote the gun policy for the last company I worked for.

I would rather have guns in the hands of many of the line people than the managers and owners if they know how to handle weapons and have had the concealed carry training. Many are ex military and know exactly what to do with a weapon. If you are licensed to carry you know the legal ramifications of pulling that gun and most likely have been shooting for many years and can and do handle a handgun well. I agree they are not trained police officers but there are over 6800 instances per day that the common folks use their guns to prevent a crime.

The lawyers and insurance carriers would be wise to review their zero guns policy. They will get their butts sued off if a criminal comes in and shoots up the place too.

The lawyers and insurance carriers would be wise to review their zero guns policy. They will get their butts sued off if a criminal comes in and shoots up the place too.

I think that there is a fine line as you described of trained and untrained. I think you make a great point not any tom dick or hairy should be allowed to carry as an employee, however if you get a concealed carry the company can see there is some amount of responsible training by their employee and should allow it.

Another thought that came up was security guards, do you know the guards to carry is an after thought?
Many Armored car companies train after hired, meaning you may have a guy never even held a gun in his life go for two weeks of training and then carrying a 45 in public. A concealed carry is almost always a gun enthusiast that decided to take things to the next level for their safety and that of their loved ones. AutoZone allows security guards with little or no training to take their money but have less regard for their own employees?

Maybe he can go around the corner and get a job at that Pep Boys! That is lame that he got fired for that, but it's a sticky situation where he did violate corprate policy. Although I think they should change their zero tolerance guidelines for cases like this. He wasn't carrying inside the store, afterall, and he came to the rescue of his boss. My guess is the company would rather lose the money in the safe than risk a firefight and all that entails. Still didn't do anything to deserve getting fired though. One of the other companies around there should snap him up as soon as possible to show support for what he did and grab a little bit of good publicity for themselves at the same time!

Armed Robbery is an assault against your PERSON..bubblegum the store. This gentleman was protecting the life of his manager, not the the stores money.

Not naive, just statistics. I've read many articles about bank robberies over the years, and I don't recall ever reading one where the robbers shot the employees after getting what they wanted. I can't say that I disagree with what Autozone did. Everything worked out fine this time, but it could've been a totally different outcome. If you are going to stop shopping at stores because of their policies regarding employees and handguns, you're going to have a very, very short list.

if your not part of the cure your part of the problem

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR