JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well for light weight fire starting I have found that Trioxane tablets (which you can't get anymore) were some of the best, with that said Try either Esbit Cohglans compact stove fuel tablets for off the shelf, in-expensive, easy to light, compact and lightweight.

Dryer lint, pine needles, leave, white brich bark, 000 or 0000 steel wool work ok as well.

<broken link removed>

Get the stuff in the link above and save yourself a lot of time and heartache. I've tried it all from cotton balls to wax/dryer lint and everything every 'survival' guy has on there website and they don't compare to this. Lights when its wet, the whole bag of 50 weigh about as much as one sock. One shower of sparks from my blast match and it was roaring away begging for kindling. You can inhale it and not kill yourself.

Might be kind of hard to find now but the US Army Trioxane heat tabs work very well.

Around 20 years ago I bought a gross of boxes for a pretty decent price. Have carried a couple of packs with me each time I go hunting and use them if I need to. Most of the case remains untouched. They do work very well and under any condition.

The bad thing about trioxane is the warning label, wash your hands after touching and don't inhale the smoke created by it.

You got that right, but I do not think it can be found anymore without costing a lot of $$$, and then it is still rare these days, 10 years ago it could found anywhere and cheap at that, now try to find it at a fair price.

Thats why I have switch to Cohglans fuel tablets Fuel Tablets and Esbit Fuel Tablets Esbit Solid Fuel Tablets at REI.com similar products and serve about well, they readily available. I have couple cases of each.

Hey Mark I carry some pine pitch, q-tips dipped in wax, and magnesium shavings. always works good. If interested I could send you some magnesium strips. I just use a drill and bore into the small strips and keep all the shavings.

I have an altoids tin with a votive candle, waterproof matches, a magnesium fire starter,a lighter, and some wax covered dryer lint.

There's not been a situation i've found so far where I cannot start a fire

For christmas I got my father a Zippor fire starter and it seems pretty nifty too. Havent used it while out and about though.

http://www.amazon.com/Zippo-Outdoor-Emergency-Starter-Orange/dp/B0035LVZFK

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews