JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As some of you know, I recently sold controlling interest of my business in Oregon and moved my legal residency to our home in Vancouver in order to facilitate the adoption of our son. I thought everything was hunky-dory until it struck me today that I had forgotten to change my carry permits. I was walking around with a WA driver's license and a resident carry permit from Oregon and a non-resident carry permit from WA.

I was afraid the whole ordeal was going to be very dificult but I was able to handle it all easily today. Oregon just needed $15 to issue a new non-resident permit and Washington just needed $10 to change the address on my current permit.

It turns out there is no legal distinction in Washington between a non-resident permit and a resident permit so I just needed to change the address.

defector. i speeet on you.

photo1.jpg

photo1.jpg

My Florida permit (or a Utah permit) would have covered me in Washington...but not in Oregon. :)

Most of you know this but ( I will speak on the Utah permit), you must still obtain a permit for the state in which you reside in. You cannot use a Utah as your only permit even if your state is recognized. Washington wants there $$ too.

Let us all not forget that our issuing county rarely notifies us that our license is about to expire and needs to be renewed! I bet I am not the only one who has discovered that I was walking around with an expired carry permit! Let's all check our cards tonite?.............................elsullo :s0131:

the utah class i believe will allow you to carry in 38 states. not sure , but that is what my instructor told me.

32 states, to be exact. :) Not trying to be pedantic; I just took the class on Sunday and have the brochure handy. It actually says 33, but that seems to include Oregon, the state I took the class in. According to <broken link removed> , a few states recognize the permit only if you're a Utah resident.

Now, to get that paperwork in...and to find something to carry! :s0155:

32 states, to be exact. :) Not trying to be pedantic; I just took the class on Sunday and have the brochure handy. It actually says 33, but that seems to include Oregon, the state I took the class in. According to <broken link removed> , a few states recognize the permit only if you're a Utah resident.

Now, to get that paperwork in...and to find something to carry! :s0155:

Oregon does NOT accept the Utah or Florida permit. We need to make that very clear. :)

Washington permit allows you to carry in a few other states too. Idaho, Montana, and others I think. I try not to stray too far from home, so I don't really ever use it in other states.

As some of you know, I recently sold controlling interest of my business in Oregon and moved my legal residency to our home in Vancouver in order to facilitate the adoption of our son. I thought everything was hunky-dory until it struck me today that I had forgotten to change my carry permits. I was walking around with a WA driver's license and a resident carry permit from Oregon and a non-resident carry permit from WA.

I was afraid the whole ordeal was going to be very dificult but I was able to handle it all easily today. Oregon just needed $15 to issue a new non-resident permit and Washington just needed $10 to change the address on my current permit.

It turns out there is no legal distinction in Washington between a non-resident permit and a resident permit so I just needed to change the address.

Much drama about nothing.

It's a Concealed Pistol License, (CPL) and it is the same for residents or non-residents. There is no such thing in Washington State as a nonresident CPL. There is just a CPL.

Now you have changed your license plates on all of your vehicles, right?

Let us all not forget that our issuing county rarely notifies us that our license is about to expire and needs to be renewed! I bet I am not the only one who has discovered that I was walking around with an expired carry permit! Let's all check our cards tonite?.............................elsullo :s0131:

The only state I know of that issues a renewal notice is Florida.

Much drama about nothing.

It's a Concealed Pistol License, (CPL) and it is the same for residents or non-residents. There is no such thing in Washington State as a nonresident CPL. There is just a CPL.

Now you have changed your license plates on all of your vehicles, right?
I bet you Oregon would not think it is about nothing if I was caught with a permit that did not match the address on my ID. Plus, even in Washington you have a certain amount of time to change the address on your permit before it is considered no longer valid according to the issuing agency yesterday.

One car still has Oregon plates, but it is registered to the business in Portland. :)

I bet you Oregon would not think it is about nothing if I was caught with a permit that did not match the address on my ID. Plus, even in Washington you have a certain amount of time to change the address on your permit before it is considered no longer valid according to the issuing agency yesterday.

One car still has Oregon plates, but it is registered to the business in Portland. :)

Yeah, but we're not talking about Oregon, we're talking about Washington.
Oregon would pop you for carrying concealed on a Washington CPL, but it's a stretch for cops on this side of the river to try nailing you for that, simply because you are moving to Vancouver.

The easy argument is that you are still in the process of moving.

Yeah, but we're not talking about Oregon, we're talking about Washington.
Oregon would pop you for carrying concealed on a Washington CPL, but it's a stretch for cops on this side of the river to try nailing you for that, simply because you are moving to Vancouver.

The easy argument is that you are still in the process of moving.
The whole topic here is that I had to change BOTH my OR and my WA permits...and "stiil moving" would be about as effective as "I forgot." Once your DL is changed you are considered moved.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top