JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Remington 788 .22-250 at the last gun show. I have it dialed in and it shoots good enough groups that I am going to use it as my coyote gun. The only problem is is that it has a very shiny finish and decent bluing that reflects like a mirror in the sun. I picked up some flat rattle can paint in good earthy colors but I want to ensure the paint will bite. Has anyone ever painted a rifle? I would greatly appreciate any tips on how to make this project a success. I am also aware that gun cleaning solvents will also shorten the life expectancy of the paint on the barrel and action and that I will have to touch them up. Thank you for your help. Tim

Last Edited:
If its a glossy polished blue you may want to sand or bead blast it before you spray. I would recommend duracoat, its the closest thing to a permanent finish you can spray at home.

400 grit sand paper is good for metal plastic and painted surfaces, 220 is good for wood. Clean the surface well before you spray. Brakleen or wax and grease remover are a must before you spray metals and plastics.

If its a glossy polished blue you may want to sand or bead blast it before you spray. I would recommend duracoat, its the closest thing to a permanent finish you can spray at home.

400 grit sand paper is good for metal plastic and painted surfaces, 220 is good for wood. Clean the surface well before you spray. Brakleen or wax and grease remover are a must before you spray metals and plastics.

CeraKote, Norrell's Moly Resin and KG GunKote also make and air dry finish that can be applied at home. Prep, prep, prep. Follow the instructions exactly and you'll be good.

In my personal experience, those three a bit stronger than DuraCoat over time.

If you have questions, please feel free to email me. :s0155:

Also, a little of my work here: <broken link removed>

why not rattle can. krylon camo colors. no need to bake your parts or buy spray guns. if it scratches or you dont like the pattern just strip it off and do it again. saves alot of money over duracoat and its lasts quite a while. you can do your barrel too. light steel wool and denatured alcohol and your ready to go. there are alot of writeups on how to but heres how I did mine. pm me if your interested.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/rifle-shotgun-discussion/34704-camo-painted-my-rifle.html

I rattle can my hunting rifles all the time. Krylon camo colors, from Wallmart or Freddys. For $4 per can. If you drag it throgh the dirt, and sling it over a barbwire fence, then you can rattlecan some touchup when you get home.

For a professional looking job, I'ld reccomend bnr32gtr, aka Mike D. He does great work.

why not rattle can. krylon camo colors. no need to bake your parts or buy spray guns. if it scratches or you dont like the pattern just strip it off and do it again. saves alot of money over duracoat and its lasts quite a while. you can do your barrel too. light steel wool and denatured alcohol and your ready to go. there are alot of writeups on how to but heres how I did mine. pm me if your interested.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/rifle-shotgun-discussion/34704-camo-painted-my-rifle.html

Last I painted a rifle I did this as well but I also do a final coat with a matte clear coat. Seems to help the paint job last a little longer.

-d

I went with the krylon camo colors and it turned out great. Rubbing alcohol worked great for prepping the gun for paint. Drug it trough the brush hunting coyotes and no paint came off. It was such a good camo job that I shot a coyote at 10 feet with my side arm. What a rush when they come out of the thick brush your using to conceal yourself! Tim

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top