JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
And I want it in .357 Mag. Should I pull the trigger?

Its a neat looking rifle for sure...
I prefer the rifle...not really a fan of large finger loops.
The lack of a side loading gate , while not a deal breaker...is something to consider.

No external safeties is a plus in my book...as well as the sling swivels.
The .357 magnum is a fine short range rifle cartridge.
I'd say yes buy one...Oh and buy one for me too..... ( Please ) :D
Andy

If you think about it, the carbine still has 2x the barrel of the biggest revolvers in the same cartridge. The extra 4 inches beyond that doesn't dramatically enhance performance. So it comes down to what feels best. The shorty, or that extra 4 inches.

Bring it! @Stomper
I know that the .357 Mag runs about 1900 fps out of my 28" barrel rolling block. Gets pretty close to .30-30 ballistics. I wonder if there's any difference between the 16" and 20" barrel in fps or accuracy.

Its a neat looking rifle for sure...
I prefer the rifle...not really a fan of large finger loops.
The lack of a side loading gate , while not a deal breaker...is something to consider.

No external safeties is a plus in my book...as well as the sling swivels.
The .357 magnum is a fine short range rifle cartridge.
I'd say yes buy one...Oh and buy one for me too..... ( Please ) :D
Andy
I'd prefer the side loader, myself, but like you said, it's not a deal breaker. I like the case hardening and octagon barrel enough to not worry about side loading.

I know that the .357 Mag runs about 1900 fps out of my 28" barrel rolling block. Gets pretty close to .30-30 ballistics. I wonder if there's any difference between the 16" and 20" barrel in fps or accuracy.

Assuming the same girth, short ones are stiffer. But I'm sure if there will be any meaningful advantage. Same with velocity. The different probably wont be meaningful.

If you think about it, the carbine still has 2x the barrel of the biggest revolvers in the same cartridge. The extra 4 inches beyond that doesn't dramatically enhance performance. So it comes down to what feels best. The shorty, or that extra 4 inches.

Bring it! @Stomper

An 11.5" in each hand is GUARANTEED to satisfy.... :D

50D3284A-B416-4ABA-AB9A-5E80993592FA.jpeg

I think you'd enjoy a carbine over the rifle. I have an 1892 that's exceptionally well balanced and fast handling. Sounds like a fun gun!

The diminishing returns of a longer barrel comes to mind, with pistol powder, I'd go with a shorter rifle since it is unlikely a longer barrel will significantly effect velocity in a meaningful way compared to the added length and weight which can become burdensome.

I bought a lightly used Chiappa 1892 .357/38 with a 20" octagon barrel and had Velzey cut it down to 17-1/2" and had him turn the barrel from octagon to round right after the end of the forearm and also thread the barrel for a suppressor.
You really can't tell it's been threaded with the cap on, plus he put a target crown on it.
All told I have around $900 in it and love shooting it suppressed with .38 special.

IMG_2589.JPG IMG_2590.JPG IMG_2593.JPG

Last Edited:
Henry's are way heavier than they need to be, by alot.
Weight wise for the pistol caliber long guns I think the ranking is
Winchester < Marlin < Henry

There are also a lot of video reviews of the Henry 44 mag which complain about them shooting VERY low.

Just be aware that you may have to swap out your front sight if your Henry shoots low with the loads you like. Have not seen this complaint for the 357 mag.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top