JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been to date a pistol guy and never much had an interest in rifles. I am rethinking as of late and have come to the conclusion that i need a all purpose rifle you know a jack of all trades master of none. Needs to be able to defend the home, slay zombies and work as a bug out rifle.

I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to rifles so i am looking for some input from the forum.

Some basic things requirements.

1. light weight like as in under 7 lbs
2. 10 round capacity minimum
3. short barrel as in under 20"
4. common and easy to find caliber
5. one shot stopping power

Based on the above the only thing that caught my eye was the Ruger Gunsight scout in .308. But I am wide open but while i am not against the tried and true AR15 it just does not ring my bell as they say.

Thanks,

Andy

let's see
1. most of us are carrying around a surplus of weight, what does a few pounds matter? my health proffessional says I should start by losing 20.
2. 10 rounds, really? Are you hunting or going to war? 10 rounds really limits your choices, unless you want a semi auto.
3. shorter barrels limit you accuracy, and in many cases the potential of your ammunition.
4. Most of the common calibers are not so easy or cheap to find anymore.
5. How good a shot are you? This subject alone has been beat to death, everywhere.

sure, get the gunsite scout, a really expensive novelty item.
maybe check out a mossberg MVP?(.223 is really too light for "all purpose")
or a lever gun in a pistol caliber?
personally I would go with a model 70 "classic" featherweight, in 30-06, It fills the bill in all areas but capacity.

Have you considered a Saiga in 7.62x39.

800px-Saiga-308.jpg

You can get a sporterized model for no a lot of scratch and it's a super versatile rifle. You can go with 5 round mags up to a 75 round drum and all standard AK mags (10, 20, 30, 40 rounders). They weigh in right at 7 pounds, the ammo is way less expensive than 223/5.56. While not a popular hunting round, it's ballistics are nearly equal that of the 30/30 and no one bats an eye when the see that caliber for a deer rifle.

The other good thing is if you decide to convert it over to a full blown AK-47 it's a pretty simple task and the accessories available a numerous

img_5303_-_small_2.jpg

Just some thoughts, and I really enjoyed this thread.

800px-Saiga-308.jpg

img_5303_-_small_2.jpg

personally I would go with a model 70 "classic" featherweight, in 30-06, It fills the bill in all areas but capacity.

HahahHahahahaha that's rich. A long clumsy bolt gun with a puny mag capacity?
The short barrel .308 auto loader will cover far more situations than the long unwieldy model 70. I know, I own both.
A person armed with a powerful high capacity carbine is a formidable adversary. Probably why the AR platform is the most prevalent in our country?

HahahHahahahaha that's rich. A long clumsy bolt gun with a puny mag capacity?
The short barrel .308 auto loader will cover far more situations than the long unwieldy model 70. I know, I own both.
A person armed with a powerful high capacity carbine is a formidable adversary. Probably why the AR platform is the most prevalent in our country?

Featherweights are not long, heavy or clumsy. as far as the OP's original request goes it fills the bill in everything but capacity.

The ar platform is far from being "powerful", the 5.56/.223 is a particularly whimpy round. Granted it has capacity going for it, aside from that I can think of several guns in 308 I would actually consider "powerful" and a better choice. Of course they may not have all the video gamer accessories that appeal to the fantasy and wannabe crowd.

I'll take a bolt gun any day, something capable of dropping large game or a chevy truck.

as far as being prevalent, they sold a bubblegumload of pintos and vegas back in the 70's, they were prevalent weren't they. What made them that way? they were cheap and easy to build. just like an ar.

Featherweights are not long, heavy or clumsy. as far as the OP's original request goes it fills the bill in everything but capacity.

The ar platform is far from being "powerful", the 5.56/.223 is a particularly whimpy round. Granted it has capacity going for it, aside from that I can think of several guns in 308 I would actually consider "powerful" and a better choice. Of course they may not have all the video gamer accessories that appeal to the fantasy and wannabe crowd.

I'll take a bolt gun any day, something capable of dropping large game or a chevy truck.

as far as being prevalent, they sold a bubblegumload of pintos and vegas back in the 70's, they were prevalent weren't they. What made them that way? they were cheap and easy to build. just like an ar.

Most snipers from the Vietnam era would have to agree. The .06 round is devastating, plentiful, inexpensive to shoot and very, very accurate.

I have been to date a pistol guy and never much had an interest in rifles. I am rethinking as of late and have come to the conclusion that i need a all purpose rifle you know a jack of all trades master of none. Needs to be able to defend the home, slay zombies and work as a bug out rifle.

I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to rifles so i am looking for some input from the forum.

Some basic things requirements.

1. light weight like as in under 7 lbs
2. 10 round capacity minimum
3. short barrel as in under 20"
4. common and easy to find caliber
5. one shot stopping power

Based on the above the only thing that caught my eye was the Ruger Gunsight scout in .308. But I am wide open but while i am not against the tried and true AR15 it just does not ring my bell as they say.

Thanks,

Andy

The ruger is a great choice !

Most snipers from the Vietnam era would have to agree. The .06 round is devastating, plentiful, inexpensive to shoot and very, very accurate.

O6 and 7.62 nato(.308) are excellent choices. Both have similar ballistics. The latter is just a down sized o6.
the 270 win, the .308, the .243 all come from the 06 case. 243 is just a necked down 308.
if you reload you can do a lot with the basic 06 case. Be aware of neck thickness when downsizing.
I often thought the military was dumb for adopting the 5.56.
I loved my M14's.
A 243 would have made a fantastic mil round. I think they were pushing for capacity more than efficiency.

O6 and 7.62 nato(.308) are excellent choices. Both have similar ballistics. The latter is just a down sized o6.
the 270 win, the .308, the .243 all come from the 06 case. 243 is just a necked down 308.
if you reload you can do a lot with the basic 06 case. Be aware of neck thickness when downsizing.
I often thought the military was dumb for adopting the 5.56.
I loved my M14's.
A 243 would have made a fantastic mil round. I think they were pushing for capacity more than efficiency.

I have used both the 5.56 as well as the 7.62 in the military extensively, as well as some others and like the 7.62 the best. I read once that prior to the military adopting the 5.56 round, they were looking at 220 and 22-250 rounds. Then the scientists got involved and claimed that the "shockwaves" or something from an incoming 5.56 round would basically blow a man in half. That was a great theory until Vietnam saw the military go from the M14 which was effective at range with a lot of knockdown power, but heavy and pretty useless in full auto for the average GI to the M16 which was uber-light, allowing the same soldier to pack a ton more ammo through the rice paddies.
It all goes down to that weight to power ratio, a formula that, I think, never seems to find a solution.

I have used both the 5.56 as well as the 7.62 in the military extensively, as well as some others and like the 7.62 the best. I read once that prior to the military adopting the 5.56 round, they were looking at 220 and 22-250 rounds. Then the scientists got involved and claimed that the "shockwaves" or something from an incoming 5.56 round would basically blow a man in half. That was a great theory until Vietnam saw the military go from the M14 which was effective at range with a lot of knockdown power, but heavy and pretty useless in full auto for the average GI to the M16 which was uber-light, allowing the same soldier to pack a ton more ammo through the rice paddies.
It all goes down to that weight to power ratio, a formula that, I think, never seems to find a solution.

That was P.O Ackley's playground. Small and fast. He even went so far as to make a 22 from a 50 BMG round.
He called it the ergersplittenloudenboomer. 6000+fps.
He did a lot with the 17 as well.
In VN the 5.56 barely met the mark. The M14 was by far the better weapon. They found that out in the Middle East also.
In urban settings the 5.56 sufficed, but in open terrain the M14 was 10X the weapon.

Yep on FA the barrel was nearly vertical by the 3rd shot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top