JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been to date a pistol guy and never much had an interest in rifles. I am rethinking as of late and have come to the conclusion that i need a all purpose rifle you know a jack of all trades master of none. Needs to be able to defend the home, slay zombies and work as a bug out rifle.

I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to rifles so i am looking for some input from the forum.

Some basic things requirements.

1. light weight like as in under 7 lbs
2. 10 round capacity minimum
3. short barrel as in under 20"
4. common and easy to find caliber
5. one shot stopping power

Based on the above the only thing that caught my eye was the Ruger Gunsight scout in .308. But I am wide open but while i am not against the tried and true AR15 it just does not ring my bell as they say.

Thanks,

Andy

Maybe a lever action in a large pistol caliber. I suggest this because of 10+ capacity and light weight. High cap mags full of 308 get pretty heavy.

Thats a good point weight of ammo makes a difference. Not sure if they make a lever action with a close to 10 round capacity. Was thinking most where in the 5-6 range.

The reason i mentioned large pistol caliber was because of the length of the round. A tube fed lever gun will hold more 45 colt than it will 30-30 in the same length tube.

my 20" lever action 45longcolt holds ten plus one in the pipe.
I know that 454 Casull lever actions exist, same capacity.
Please take a look at pistol caliber carbines, Winchester, Marlin, Rossi, they all will work.

Well look what happens when I take 10 minutes to get my thoughts out.

The Rossi M92, is my favorite of ~many~ Long barrels.

The M92 is a John Browning design, and has a super chambering mechanism for the straight walled cartridges, mine is in 38/357 ... Rossi's ~only~ change to Browning's powerful action, is a worthless "locking" mechanism, which is a great place to install a peep sight, and develop a longer sight radius in doin so. "I spit, on the lock, we don' need no Stupid lock, or John would have put it there Himself!!! :D

The only item I count as poor quality on a Rossi M92, is thin bluing... But we fiddlers & tinker's are always doing things like camoflauging and stuff, right???

Hope that helps,

philip,
In the BoonDocks

Maybe a lever action in a large pistol caliber. I suggest this because of 10+ capacity and light weight. High cap mags full of 308 get pretty heavy.

+1 on the lever gun. I thought my 1894c held more than 9 (which it says on Marlin's website). Maybe that's .357. I think it holds more with the shorter .38 round. It's been awhile and I'm too lazy to go count right now.

I like being able to keep topping off a lever rifle between shots without having to drop out a magazine. In capable hands, a lever gun can put a LOT of lead downrange in a hurry. But at the same time, a happy trigger finger won't cost you $15-20 (or more) like a typical 30-round mag-dump might with semi-auto rifle rounds.

Check out the Sig Sauer M400 AR pistol with wrist stabilizing device. The stabilizing device may look a little like a buttstock but it's not. The ones sold locally come with letter from the ATF explaining how the wrist device does not change it from a pistol to a rifle.

1. light weight like as in under 7 lbs: Check - Even the M400 rifle is only 6.5 lbs.
2. 10 round capacity minimum: Check - 3, 10, 20, 30 or even 100 if you're willing to pony up for a Beta mag.
3. short barrel as in under 20": Check - 11 1/2".
4. common and easy to find caliber: Check - 5.56X45 is very common and super versatile.
5. one shot stopping power: Check - 69gr hollow point @ ~3000 FPS should be plenty. Might loose a couple hundred FPS from the shorter barrel, but it's still going to be pretty impressive.

Pretty neat piece and it seems to meet all of your criteria except for it technically being a pistol.

Lots of good suggestions, thanks, The top three contendres are..

1. Short Barrel Lever action in .44 or .357
2. Ruger Mini 14 or a Delton or Similar entry level AR
3. Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308

I like the lever action becouse of the common pistol calibers.

Might look at the TNW Aero Survival Rifle in 45acp.
1. Light Weight
2. Short Barrel
3. 13 Rounds ( uses Glock magazines)
4. 45ACP ( Hollow Points for Home Defense)
5. Fast Take Down ( Easy to Clean)
6. Just Plain Fun to Shoot
7. Great Customer Service ( Built in Vernonia, Oregon)

been reading about these and depending on the street price look very appealing.
Mossberg MVP series is a contender- .223 with AR mags specifically the MVP patrol variant.

Thats a solid point, .223 is low cost plentiful or at least it used to be but on the balistic scale its on the bottom end. Cost vrs balistics its a just a matter of trade offs and finding the right balance

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top