Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I want a M1 carbine soooo freaking bad!

Discussion in 'Rifles Wanted' started by dirtbikesNguns, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dirtbikesNguns

dirtbikesNguns Portland Oregon New Member

i love the size and history of the gun! and i want one! anyone have one for sale? an original one would be sweet, but i dont know much about them. Are there any benefit's to a replica?

2. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

There are no 'replicas' per se. There are collectable war-era weapons, less collectable civilian versions and faked war-era put-togethers that are worth the price of the parts that it took to make them. Personally, I would recommend picking up a used civilian rifle to see if you like the platform. They can be found here on the WTS/WTT section from time to time, and for a good price. If you do like the platform, and you want to expand your collection to include a more desirable war-era rifle, you have two choices. You can purchase a CMP papered weapon, either directly from the CMP or at a Gunshow, and be assured that you have a genuine collectable, or you can put in some time to learn the rifle and try to weed through the put-togethers until you find a real deal. There are alot of put-togethers out there made to look like war-issue rifles that never were, so you need to be real careful. 'Paratrooper' models seem to be the most faked versions. A CMP papered rifle will also have a higher resale price. Good luck.

Edit: Judging by the picture and description of the one you are asking about on the WTS/WTT board, the price being asked is fair and would probably be a great first M1 for you.

Keith

3. dirtbikesNguns

damn brotha! I ddnt think this wanted section would get much activity, but you answered perfectly! Thank you for that reply! I think like you said ill stick with the civilian version. I really wanna use it (camping and just have it around) and I wouldnt wanna ruin any collectables. Damn i want this gun so bad. Thanks Keith! OH HEY! what is a "good" price for a slightly used civilian version?

4. dirtbikesNguns

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A note the only M1 Carbines currently available from CMP are the Baravian Police marked ones and a Very few Paratropper versions. Both only available via CMP auctions and I would assume at a rather high premium.

6. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I found a receiver and built my own. I do not care about collector value. I just wanted a good shooter and that's what I got.

7. dirtbikesNguns

how much did it cost? and how lon did it take to put together?

8. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I didn't keep a ledger on parts but if I remember right I kept the costs down under $400.00. Once I had all the parts and the right tools, It took a couple of hours to put it together and test fire.

9. dirtbikesNguns

sweet! post a picture of it!

10. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the one I commented on in my first post. It appears to be a good rifle at a decent price. Just do a little online research on these so you know what you are looking at when you inspect it.

A few things to consider if you think you are going to assemble one from parts. To avoid extreme frustration, the bolt requires a special tool to disassemble and reassemble. To remove and replace the dovetailed rear sight base, it is highly recommended that you get the special rear sight tool. (If you use a punch and hammer, it is possible to break the receiver, thus ruining the rifle.) The front sight also has its own special tool. These are good tools to have for a serious M1 carbine owner, but not necessary of you are just going to shoot it at the range or take it camping. I'd recommend a complete rifle as your first.

Keith

11. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

This.