JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The bigger the better for the bore. Historical accuracy is moot to me as I just want one. Why? I always have since I was a kid and I plan on getting one. The traditions kit looks hideous to me. I like the looks of the veterans arms or the sitting fox one. But research has me questioning if either are a good shooter. This is not for reenactments, but a shooter. Can anybody recommend me a good one, preferably at around 1k or lower price point? (I'd rather not go up, but I have wanted one for 30+ years so if I have to sell something to make it happen, I will.) As a kid, they featured prominently in the books I read of pirates and highwaymen and even in a weird Tolkien story (Farmer Giles of Ham.) Lets be honest, I want a functional toy with lots of fire and smoke and a lot of shot. It could get hunted with, but unlikely given some physical issues. Pure fun is what I am looking for and it is a silly venture. Basically I want to buy something I don't worry will blow up with sane\conservative loads in an insane size.

I am very good with tools and have above average access to some cool manufacturing tools, so kits are cool too. I don't care kit or assembled.

Check with Numrich Arms. They may have something you can use.
I bought an unfinished 20 GA. shotgun barrel from them for my .62 cal.
Matchlock Musket. (just right for a patched glass marble) $30.00.

If you have the talent you say you have and access to large lathe, you could free turn
a trumpet cone from some 4" dia. stock and thread/weld it onto the end of a large bore
shotgun barrel.The lock will be a trick to make, depending on whether it's flint, or cap
and accuracy will be non existent. They were made to fire multiple projectiles from the top
of a careaning coach at large targets. The belled muzzlewas to facilitate loading.

Sounds like a fun project.

Last Edited:
Check with Numrich Arms. They may have something you can use.
I bought an unfinished 20 GA. shotgun barrel from them for my .62 cal.
Matchlock Musket. (just right for a patched glass marble) $30.00.

If you have the talent you say you have and access to large lathe, you could free turn
a trumpet cone from some 4" dia. stock and thread/weld it onto the end of a large bore
shotgun barrel.The lock will be a trick to make, depending on whether it's flint, or cap
and accuracy will be non existent. They were made to fire multiple projectiles from the top
of a careaning coach at large targets. The belled muzzlewas to facilitate loading.

Sounds like a fun project.
No large lathe, though I can operate one... my wife draws the line at some equipment at home. However, I probably can gain access to one. I have family who run a firearms manufacturer (small) . Preferably I'd like a barrel bored, but I can get what I need. I can weld, have some machine shop training, and do a lot. If that's the only way... ok, I can work with that.

"I like the looks of the veterans arms or the sitting fox one. But research has me questioning if either are a good shooter."

The Sitting Fox kit lists an Ed Rayl barrel and a Davis English Roundface lock. Both are quality items, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

I have a Davis Germanic lock with over 5000 rounds on it and its still going strong. Also have a Sitting Fox squirrel rifle that I've been very pleased with.

Sitting Fox is a small middle man parts supplier type of shop so they're easy to call for mix and match type projects which is what I did for my squirrel rifle.

Can't speak to Veteran's Arms Other than I believe they source their guns from India and rework them in house.

Note: Most hunting regs for upland and waterfowl limit the bore size to 10ga or less.

Just remembered these guys: Blunderbuss » Tennessee Valley Manufacturing

Last Edited:
www.militaryheritage.com has two models that are nicely made....
Since historic accuracy is not important for you ...Traditions makes a "blunderbuss"....which may be of interest .

I think "Blunberbuss" is a Old English for : "You have the wrong house."...:D
Andy
Okay. I don't care if it would pass muster at a re-enactment. The traditions one looks. All wrong. A long time ago I did civil war re-enactments and the arguments over whether something is perfectly accurate can go too far. (I have seen someone argue a person's musket wasn't an authentic enough reproduction only to have revealed it was an original, with known history, user and period tintype ) I don't care for that level of accuracy. I do want an authentic looking and feeling piece modern metallurgy and machinery are fine by me.

Wow. This could be a case where I do not need 1 but I might end up with a couple. I gotta admit that the 4 gauge sitting fox has an allure being over 1.00 cal. Is this rational? No. If it is safe and sounds quality I probably will get it at some point. The ones Andy pointed out look good and are inexpensive relatively. So Did the ones roundball mentioned.

One last question for @AndyinEverson . Is it easy to find where to drill the vent hole or find the proper size listed for the lock and breech? The price and relatively speedy gratification of that one sounds great. I may end up as a blunderbuss connoisseur yet by the time all is said and done. The kits look fun but to drill a hole, buy flints, powder, mold for shot, and wadding sounds fantastic.

Also, for those, are there good load data of safe charges?

here is some inspiration, make a great Halloween prop.

Uncle-Fester-addams-family-5313477-400-500.jpg

I've always wanted one too but I've always had a picture of one with the flared out muzzle really large and cramming nails and small woodland animals in it.

Something tells me that doesn't exist.

The bigger the better for the bore. Historical accuracy is moot to me as I just want one. Why? I always have since I was a kid and I plan on getting one. The traditions kit looks hideous to me. I like the looks of the veterans arms or the sitting fox one. But research has me questioning if either are a good shooter. This is not for reenactments, but a shooter. Can anybody recommend me a good one, preferably at around 1k or lower price point? (I'd rather not go up, but I have wanted one for 30+ years so if I have to sell something to make it happen, I will.) As a kid, they featured prominently in the books I read of pirates and highwaymen and even in a weird Tolkien story (Farmer Giles of Ham.) Lets be honest, I want a functional toy with lots of fire and smoke and a lot of shot. It could get hunted with, but unlikely given some physical issues. Pure fun is what I am looking for and it is a silly venture. Basically I want to buy something I don't worry will blow up with sane\conservative loads in an insane size.

I am very good with tools and have above average access to some cool manufacturing tools, so kits are cool too. I don't care kit or assembled.
Dixie Gun Works has a Blunderbuss but it is well out of my budget. But Christmas is close by, hint, hint...

18641 BRITISH BLUNDERBUSS

Blessing,

LB

This is coming to me. Not a lot of details, but it looks like fun. And I had it approved to use at TCGC BP range. Apparently nothing bans them, yet.

pix688699444.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads