JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is good reason they are a preferred competition pistol. I couldn't afford the delux, I'll probably end up with the basic blue witness. Henningshop.com has some great upgrades for em too.
If I had to compete for big money it would be that Tanfo or the S&W Model 14 Target that would get the call.
The Tanfo is that easy to shoot.

Or, someone just realized they could shave a few mm of the case and fit it in a gun with useable capacity and size while maintaining the same performance of the FBI 10mm load.

:s0148:

Or...someone just realized that too many FBI recruits are sensitive to recoil and gun weight and sought out to neuter a perfectly good cartridge to appease the masses?

The force is strong with this one.

Or...someone just realized that too many FBI recruits are sensitive to recoil and gun weight and sought out to neuter a perfectly good cartridge to appease the masses?

The force is strong with this one.

Ah, yes, the 40 is "neutered" but the 9mm with modern bullets will slay dragons! Shot placement of course.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine!

IMG_0124.JPG

I have shot plenty of Nuclear Power 10 mm handloads through both stock and full custom 1911's and never once had any kind of failure or issues with any part of the equation! Glock G-20's are the only one to ever have any problems with any ammo that was above "Standard Pressure" and if you upgrade barrels and springs, it's no longer an issue with them! 1911+10 mm= Perfection:):):)

That's not completely true.

I remember the problems they had getting magazines out for the Bren ten. And it's ultimate fail.
Not a gun that broke. Just one you couldn't shoot.

Then all the excitement about Colt bringing out the 10mm in its Delta 1911.
I could finally get my hands on a 10mm.

It wasn't long before they were breaking barrel links in them with the hot 10 mm loads.

So Glock 10mm it was for me!
And I've owned them every since. Still do.

Most .40S&W guns were designed first as 9mm's. Instead of redesigning and strengthening them to handle the .40S&W, most gun makers just changed the barrel and called it good. Forties require a fully supported chamber. 10mm on the other hand, was never put into a 9mm pistol like the .40S&W was. That's why you don't see too many 10mm pistols blowing up. Basically, it's like they took 9mm pistols and rechambered them for 10mm and were shocked they couldn't handle the pressures. Certain things have to be changed like the magazine feed angle or the feed ramp angle to get the .40S&W to work right in 9mm's. Most gun makers from what I've seen don't go about it correctly. Rather than make a whole new gun built for the forty, they remove material to increase reliability. Lots of great forties out there but for my needs I like the 10mm more.

Last Edited:
I have been shooting (and handloading) the 10mm since 1991. I believe that the 10mm, in the proper platform, is the ultimate battle handgun cartridge. In its original loadings, you can stop any two-legged malefactor and stop most four legged creatures under 300 lbs.

I have never owned a .40 S&W and have no desire to possess one at all. Having 5 handguns chambered for Irving Stone and Whit Collins creation. When they created the .40 G&A (later named the 10mm Auto) they cut down the .30 Remington case to an overall length of .992" and began loading 200 grain and 180 grain 38-40 Winchester Center Fire bullets in the cases.

The initial full-power 200 grain loads left a 5" barrel at 1200 fps yielding 638 foot-pounds at the muzzle. Some 170 grain Norma JHP loads were leaving the same 5" barrel at 1400 fps, generating 741 foot-pounds of energy at the end of the tube. Erratic ignition forced them to back down from this load.

Today, these loads have been both matched and superseded. The 10mm is a fine cartridge that has been both misunderstood and underrated. I would like to see it used in the field by elite forces that don't require a suppressed pistol.

Last Edited:
Most .40S&W guns were designed first as 9mm's. Instead of redesigning and strengthening them to handle the .40S&W, most gun makers just changed the barrel and called it good. Forties require a fully supported barrel. 10mm on the other hand, was never put into a 9mm pistol like the .40S&W was. That's why you don't see too many 10mm pistols blowing up. Basically, it's like they took 9mm pistols and rechambered them for 10mm and were shocked they couldn't handle the pressures. Certain things have to be changed like the magazine feed angle or the feed ramp angle to get the .40S&W to work right in 9mm's. Most gun makers from what I've seen don't go about it correctly. Rather than make a whole new gun built for the forty, they remove material to increase reliability. Lots of great forties out there but for my needs I like the 10mm more.
But for the grace of the Jesus, don't ever think of putting a +p or +p+ in that full-size 9! hell in a hanbaskert

I will be looking at 10mms today. Leaning towards the Tiger. Its just under 800.00 that beats everybody except RIA. That witness is very cool. I love my CZ 75. ...tj

whatever arguments can be made for various recipes of the 10mm, I have established a fact about my own accuracy in Sig 220-10 :

It's a lovely rendition in a suitable sized platform that controls recoil and muzzle raise very well. With multiple thousands downrange, of a wide range of recipes from 155gr to 180, of lead, plated and coated RN/FN/truncated nose design, and in 1000~1250 fps plus various factory defense designs, I'm beginning to see a pattern.

Coming to almost enjoy the caliber despite the fact I don't seem to be as accurate with it as the 45 acp.

Late to this party. Seems I'm always late now that I'm retired.

10mm. Best I could ever give it was a ho-hum. I've never owned one, but I've shot plenty. In every gun, there has been problems. Failure to operate was my biggest gripe, until the last issue, when a case separated and blew the magazine out of the gun. It blew like a mini-grenade.

Then very recently, I shot the Ruger 10mm SR1911. It's hard for me to call it a 1911. Let's call it the Ruger SR-neo-1911. Anyway...Possibly the best shooting 1911-type pistol I've ever shot. Very accurate, very comfortable, and very dependable. I have yet to see a malfunction of any kind.

As I said, I've never been a 10mm kind of person, but I will own one of these Ruger's.

WAYNO.

My experience with the 10mm in the 1911 platform has been spotty at best. Picked up a Sig 1911 Tacops that has spent more time with the gunsmith than with me, had a Kimber that took awhile to smooth out, yet nary a problem with the Smith 3rd gen or the Glocks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top