JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A backup plan:

This is pretty much why I say become a machinist with an eye towards gunsmithing. If you can become a proficient machinist then wish to use those skills as a gunsmith, good for you and your much farther down the road to doing quality work on guns.

As a competent machinist you can make a good living and be in demand almost anywhere, though only the larger cities will have higher pay scales.

If things don't work out as a gunsmith, you can still make a good living as a machinist.

What will make him a success as a Gunsmith?

Skill.

If you do top end work and don't screw things up the work will find you.

The limiting factor is how many customer guns you trash. Make mistakes with a cutting head going 800 rpm while trying to cut a new dovetail for a sight and it can go wrong quickly.

One false move with a file and it skitters across a barrel and you can't get those file marks out, how you going to explain that to a customer?

Working on guns as a gunsmith is a no second chance undertaking.

Many "would be" amateur gunsmiths do more harm then good and it comes 90% when they are trying to disassemble things.

Many so-called Gunsmiths can't even do something as simple as punch a sight out of a dovetail without putting scratches on your gun, google that if you want to read about "stupid Gunsmith tricks" for an afternoon.

~
This why a custum gun cost so much because one guy will build a gun and if something wrong with it that guy fixes it KIMBER LES BEARA SO ON AND SO ON

Where can I get one of those gunsmithing licenses thingys? I wanna be one!

Got a link?

On a serious note, if you become a decent gun smith there is plenty of work to go around.
Some folks find it shocking to see my backlog!

Where can I get one of those gunsmithing licenses thingys? I wanna be one!

Got a link?

On a serious note, if you become a decent gun smith there is plenty of work to go around.
Some folks find it shocking to see my backlog!
It is very hard to find a good gun Smith these days that is true

Here is a thought and you guys with military experience can comment on if this might be valid....

Join the military to become an armorer [small arms] and get that training.

Not sure what all would be involved or if it would help with becoming a civilian gunsmith??

Don't see how it could hurt? Military benefits are good.... don't see how you could lose..

I do not know if you can join up now and be guaranteed a certain job?

Google search results for "Armorer"
------------------
What is an armorer in the army?

In modern terms, an armourer is a member of a military or police force who works in an armoury and maintains and repairs small arms and weapons systems, with some duties resembling those of a civilian gunsmith.

Armourer - Wikipedia
------------------

~

My Marine is a 2111. He does a lot of parts swapping, not much smithing. The prize there is 2112. That's the master smith MOS. Sadly, he's been trying for two years to get into that, tells me it's almost impossible anymore. Too bad, the kid knows how to run a lathe and is really good at it. Looking to get out, maybe go persue mechanical engineering.

Last Edited:
From what my USMC Sgt. hears, sadly the guys in the shop at Quantico may be more or less on their way out. If what he hears is accurate, that work may be contracted out or eliminated entirely. Of course there will have to be guys to repair and maintain the weapons, but maybe not in house custom smiths. He's been a 2111 for a while, and is coming to the end of his second enlistment. He's been trying to get into 2112 school as he really loves smithing and the shooting sports in general. He's good at it, and has aptitude, both in the shop and the range. He has a working knowledge of a mill and a lathe and has done some simple jobs on both. He's got good scores, you'd think he's the kind of guy they'd want for the job. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. He's pretty set on getting out, which is the USMC's loss. Of course, I'm a little opinionated.....:rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top