JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Last Edited:
I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
Integrity, either you have it or you don't.
We may be better than this but they are not.

Reminds me of the story of the married banker who left his wife and kids to run off with his sexy secretary. After a couple months the wife gets a telegram that says: "Need the money, sell the Porsche and send me the money." The next day the Porsche sold for $300...

I'm disappointed and ashamed for some members here for not doing the right thing. A new member posted a Rossi lever action rifle for sale for $250 and instead of letting him know the real value of the gun they jumped on the "deal" like white on rice with numerous backup offers. The new member only joined in August and also listed a Dillon 550 package at another way below value amount. This reminded me of the time when a friend's husband passed and she took a Remington Rand .45 to the gun shop to sell and was offered $300 for it. After checking the gun out I told her it was worth at least 2k and got it sold for her for 2.5k. So, is it ok to take advantage of someone who for whatever reason doesn't know the value of what they have, especially here. My ignore list just got a lot longer.
I agree completely! I cannot stand dishonest people or deceptive people.

The comparison the gun store deal on the .45 is invalid. In that case, the gun shop made an offer that they knew was ridiculously low, trying to take advantage of the seller's ignorance. When a seller sets the price, then it's assumed that the person has made a reasoned decision to sell at that price. Now, if that was a friend or family member, I would inform them of the fair market value. If it's a stranger, then it's game-on. If I meet the person for the sale and it's an old widow living in tight circumstances, my conscience takes over and I'll educate her.

Related story:
I went to an estate sale where they had two nice Springfield 1903 stocks for sale. The combined value was probably $500. I asked the person running the sale (professional estate sale business that specializes in firearms) how much they wanted for them. He asked how much I'd offer. As much as I pressed him, he wouldn't give me a number, so I said $75, expecting to haggle up closer to $300. He accepted my offer without hesitation. At first I felt guilty about it, then I realized that I was dealing with a professional, and it's his responsibility to know the values of the things he's selling. Also, the estate was that of a wealthy pathologist.

I'm usually the guy who tries to do the right thing, but have struggled sometimes with how far you go to do that.
I was making a vintage law enforcement related shadow box and was looking for the right antique gun. I was contacted by a former coworker, who needed money and a local gun dealer low balled him. He came by my place of work, showed me the three guns and told me that if I would offer $50 more than the dealer, he would sell them to me. I was excited because one was previously owned by a police officer who carried it on duty in Oregon, so I jumped on it, without having a clue to the value.
I completed my shadow box and about eight years later, I saw a gun for sale, that was similar and not in near as good of condition. It was valued at about $1,100.00 more than I paid for mine.
Years later, I found out the model I bought was even more valuable than I thought, and I found several for sale that were as much as $4,500.00 more than I paid.
I didn't buy it for resale, I bought it for display, but I have always felt a little guilty about the purchase.
I also went shopping in the 80's with a brother in law, I bought a Galil and he bought a Spas12.
in the mid 90's he needed money and offered to sell it to me for what he paid for it. I gave him $350. I now see some selling for $thousands.
I got the best deal, his sister left me since then and I still have the gun.

Asking too little?

The real problem is 90% of classifieds are asking too much and trying to rip off the buyer's.

Same solution applies... Don't buy it.

Good for you, somebody with scruples

1666414919951.png

Take heart muh brutha! Karma is a slow grinding beatch that usually pays back with compounded interest!

I see you are a fellow early member of NW Firearms. We both remember when your post would not have been necessary, but the culture changed as more members joined. I'm with you, hongkong2 but suspect we are in the minority.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top