JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In general I agree with you, and hope that the gougers get stuck, but I get the feeling the guys who have a lot into it are moving their inventory pretty fast and won't get hit too hard at all. It is a nice thought though.

And I do recognize that those not buying it due to high price do actually help bring the price down. I support you in that, and have cut my buying back, but I won't refuse to shoot .22 because I don't want to burn my only supply because I refuse to purchase more. Here's to hoping the insanity continues to dwindle away and we can get back to normal.

Much more recent than that. Those are pretty much pre-Obama election prices.

According to the dept. of interior (which tracks ammo excise taxes), ammo tax revenue was steady until about 2006 when it then started increasing dramatically.

Spot on! In 2006, prices began to climb dramatically due to fears about the election and loss of rights.

There's been a whole heap a new shooters, and as we all know, .22 has traditionally been the starter cartridge for everyone (and rightfully so) and for continuing plinkage for the masses. It's no great wonder that supply hasn't been able to keep up with demand.
I've really only ever shot not that many .22, all things considered.. shooting probably a half mil centerfire either reloaded by me for a pittance (they are more "practical" on targets that matter also) or for "free".
I wouldn't mind .22 becoming more available/affordable though just for the fun of it for some of my .22's sakes (essentially passed down family guns) but personally, never shot them much anyway.

Bought 2 boxes of CCI Mini-Mag Hollow Points at Sportsman's Warehouse today for $7.99 each. A fair price for 2014, don't remember the last time I saw any available anywhere at any price (other than online extreme pricing). It is getting better, albeit slowly. I think the .08 per round for really good quality 22lr may be the new norm. I can live with it.

Sheez,a couple months ago a guy came into the Port Angeles gun show with his back pack and I asked him what he had for sale.
Blazer bricks
How much
$45
Holly shnit
Sold them to a vendor and the vendor sold the for $55 ea,no problemo
My friend that was doing the show with me said to a guy who bought one "You must be desperate to buy those at $55"
"Got a better idea" quite sharply

Much more recent than that. Those are pretty much pre-Obama election prices.

According to the dept. of interior (which tracks ammo excise taxes), ammo tax revenue was steady until about 2006 when it then started increasing dramatically.

That increase in tax revenue wouldn't have gone up dramatically because volume went up dramatically, not a chance....No one here has paid less than $10 for a brick of 22 in several years....

That increase in tax revenue wouldn't have gone up dramatically because volume went up dramatically, not a chance....No one here has paid less than $10 for a brick of 22 in several years....
Good point, but I would think it would be a mix of price increases and volume. I think most retailers didn't increase their prices near as much as the scalpers though.

Just the same, I will wait for the prices to come down to a more reasonable level - certainly below 4 cents per round. Then I will slowly stock up just in case.

I am happy that I have always been an ammo and reloading component hoarder....I won't need any 22 till Chelsea Clinton is out of office....LOL I was going through my stocks this weekend, and I have several bricks with $2.99 price tags on them! LOL Plus, even if I do buy some, dollar cost averaging goes a long way when you have 40 plus bricks you paid less than $4 for....

Gotta remember, 22lr is the most common caliber of all firearms in the US...show me a house with a gun and I'll bet at least one of them is a 22. More 22's were sold during the "scare" than any caliber...more new shooters and gun owners in the US in the last 6 years, than the 3 decades prior....plus, when ammo prices started climbing, every AR owner I know went and bought a 22lr upper to try to save $ and keep shooting. The gougers don't pay taxes...a majority of the increase in tax revenue is from increase in total sales.

Last edited by a moderator:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top