Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I thought I had a deal done, it got pulled?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Mike Johnson, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson Oregon Member 2016 Volunteer

I thought that I had a deal done to buy a pistol from a member of this site , but he just pulled it without saying anything to me, gives me a lack of confidence in the members.

2. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. During the gun rush a few years back, I got burned twice within 2 weeks by 2 different members. Deal agreed, I was first in line, took a day off, then whadda ya know I get the no communication treatment only to find out later they sold it to someone else. Oh well, just gotta forgive and move on. But yeah, I hear ya, it sucks.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Joe13 and Caveman Jim like this.
  3. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

That's why feedback is critical.

4. Mike Johnson

Mike Johnson Oregon Member 2016 Volunteer

how do I give feedback on something that never happened?

5. The Nothing

The Nothing PDX Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Haven't we heard enough about judging groups by the actions of an individual?

It sucks, but, man, I've had that type of crap happen to me on TONS of sites (car forums, fishing forums, craigslist, little nickle...)

Brutus57, Joe13, mike1281 and 2 others like this.
  6. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

You just need to remember the few that do this and don't bother replying to there ads. I just use the ignore feature and block them
    Problem solved!! :D

Stacy

Joe13, misterarman, nammac and 4 others like this.
  7. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster SE Portland Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

This isn't ebay. You can click on the person's username, click on their feedback score, and click the red button that says "add feedback." That's all. You can leave neutral feedback with a caution for others, or if he wronged you, leave negative. I once drove 30 miles out to meet a guy from the coast that was supposed to buy a rifle last summer. He called me 30 minutes late saying he'd just woken up, and wasn't coming because he had found a "better deal" the day before. (Not a member anymore.)

8. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

You say "members" (plural vs single) as if more than one person stood you up.
    While I hardly qualify as a "frequent flyer," I've done 2 deals here with members and both went well.
    A certain percentage of flakes will populate all forums, craigslist, ebay, gun forums, whatever.
    I'd hesitate to paint 'em all with one brush.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Brutus57, Joe13, Pops1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

Most of the folks on this board are honest, honorable people.

Don't let a few bad apples sour you on trading here.

Cardoff, Brutus57, Joe13 and 5 others like this.
  10. JeremyK

JeremyK Milwaukie Professional BA

I've been buying/selling/trading with members on this forum for nearly six years, with only a couple of flakes. Don't let one floozie discourage you; the vast majority of the men and women who are members here are honest and honorable. When in doubt, a quick peek at a member's trade rating can be a good indicator on how trustworthy said member will be.

Brutus57, Joe13, BDA.45 and 4 others like this.
  11. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Not sure why you would let one transaction taint your view of the rest of the members here. Many of us do business in the classifieds without a problem. I can tell you for an absolute fact that things like that do happen here, but they are far less common here than on places like Armslist, where I have been flaked on numerous times. This site does not monitor members, what they place for sale or how they act with regard to deals - it's up to the individual members. And yes, negative or neutral feedback is appropriate if you get flaked on here - and you have the site owner's blessing to do just that if someone disrespects the art of the deal. And leaving that neutral or negative feedback, when it's warranted, helps protect everyone else from a potentially flaky seller.

As others already pointed out, always check the feedback scores of people here before you contact them. If the feedback is good, you're much more likely to have a good transaction. Just click on any user's name to see their feedback score:

Capturelskjdflksjdflskja.JPG

Now, what were you supposed to be buying? I've got a few items in the classifieds and I've got 100% positive feedback to boot ;) Oh, and I'm in OC too....:rolleyes:

Joe13, nammac, Dyjital and 3 others like this.
  12. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

It must have been a new member. Trust me, regulars would never do that without some line of communication on why they had pulled the pistol.. A scarlet letter of a bad trade rating follows you like the plague. Always look at the members trade rating, sign up daye and message post count before committing to avoid any of these flakes. There are t many but they do find their way to NWFA

There are some folks on here who have low numbers, but are still great guys. Im just saying for future reference always scope those things out.

13. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Are you sure you were first in line?

Are you sure the deal was done - i.e., you setup a time and place to buy it?

I don't hold it against someone if they decide not to sell, or not to sell to me - that is their prerogative.

But I would hold it against them if they didn't show for a scheduled meet, or they raised the price once we met, or what they brought wasn't what was agreed on.

Joe13, nammac and etrain16 like this.
  14. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Sorry guys it was me that didnt reply to the OP
    I thought I had replied to all messages about the pistol i had listed.
    I cleared my inbox and didnt realize I had not replied to everyone.

41Slinger, Joe13, Nightshade and 12 others like this.
  15. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good of you to step up and let folks know what happened. Sounds like an honest mistake to me, no reason to pass any grief your way.

Joe13, nammac, nwwoodsman and 2 others like this.
  16. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

No it is my fault I should of taken more care to make sure I had replied to everybody.
    I have sent a message to the OP offering an apology and explaining why I removed the pistol from sale.

17. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Well I guess that rules out a new member, with little or bad feedback being the problem, eh? :)

Brutus57, Joe13 and Dyjital like this.
  18. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Something else for the OP to consider also is if you're looking to buy a gun and are very new to the forum and have no feedback. A seller may get the heebie-jeebies, for whatever reason, and back out. I'd consider that to be his right. It might suck for the buyer but that's the way it needs to be.

Stick around @Mike Johnson, a lot of good people here!

19. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

It's tough to get to everyone and get all the info.

I had posted a free ad for some stuff and thought it was strange no one PM'd me. But found out my inbox was full of old messages.
    I wish they would add space for messages or at least notify you if someone is trying to message you and it's full.

Joe13 likes this.
  20. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

Good trader's outweigh the bad please stay. I have been a member here since 2008 Have only found 1 that screwed me out come is still pending if he steps up and makes thing right, If not I will out him here And I dislike saying Negative words about anyone.

Brutus57 and Joe13 like this.