JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed> at the bottom turn to page 52 and the howa's are on sale

The Weatherby Vanguard. I saw that Nutnfancy has one and is currently testing it out. So, I looked up some other reviews on youtube and of the ones I saw it gets very favorable reviews and has excellent accuracy. So many options. Turns out my wife didn't find my emergency fund. My brother in-law and I were going through the gun safe the other day and he saw my "emergency fund and thought it would be funny to mess with me and stick it in a different spot. It worked.

check out the howa 1500 i posted earlier. it's the exact same gun as the vanguard and you will save money.

Hi guys thanks again for the info. I actually found a Remington 700 SPS on the board for $375. I did a quick look online and it seemed like a good deal. All I need now is some 30mm rings so I can mount my 8x36x50(I think) Vortex Crossfire and take it out to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. I am mostly happy with the 700 other then I would have really liked a detachable mag, that was mostly just preference.

Hi guys thanks again for the info. I actually found a Remington 700 SPS on the board for $375. I did a quick look online and it seemed like a good deal. All I need now is some 30mm rings so I can mount my 8x36x50(I think) Vortex Crossfire and take it out to Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. I am mostly happy with the 700 other then I would have really liked a detachable mag, that was mostly just preference.

Sounds like a very good deal on a great gun. Look around, I believe that there are "kits" that will allow you to put a detachable mag on that rifle.

What info do ya need?

Bottom Metal- several companies make bottome metal for Remington 700 to take AICS mags, a very small few make for Savage and others. There is only one that I can think of for Remington that is a drop in- I believe it's the HS bottom metal, the rest need a stock that is inlet to accept the metal. The more popular metals- mostly Badger M5 footprint- are supported by alot of the bigger stock makers and B&C is supposed to be releasing pre-inlet stocks. All the metals are aftermarket so pretty well have to upgrade down the road.

I have an extra Atlasworx DBM for a Remington 700 in the classifieds. :)

Well, an inexpensive one to look at is the Howa 1500. Comes in most popular calibers. Starting around $349.99 with rings but no scope, and then the price goes up from there.
They are made in Japan, but don't let that scare you. They have a very smooth action, and smooth & Crisp trigger.

My son just bought a Howa 1500 in 300 win. mag. It has about as much recoil as a .243 does. Nothing like the old shoulder busters of the past.....
I just bought a Howa .223 for my father-in-law from Kolt, at Santiam buyers in Stayton at the last Albany gun show. Very sweet rifle. for 349 bucks, I'm thinking of getting a couple more for myself.

Here are a couple links with a review. You can do a google search yourself as well.

Howa - Supreme Varminter

Howa Rifles for Sale Online from Howa Firearms - Guns for Sale - Able Ammo

There are many brands and calibers to choose from, but the Howa is a quality rifle for the money.

My .02 cents.....

Stay Safe.

I have one in .30-06 and I don't contemplate ever parting with it. Great accuracy, wonderful trigger, smooth action, well made.

Thanks again for the info. It looks like more work and money than I want to put into a budget bolt gun just to have a detachable magazine. I think it would be cheaper to just buy a different model when I am ready for that. For now I will keep it and see how I like it. I am sure it is more accurate that I am and should be good for a long time. Thanks for all the great option and information you guy provided me. I was really looking hard for a Howa 1500, Savage/stevens, Marlin XL7, and some of the others mentioned before but I had a hard time finding the right caliber that was available for the price I liked at the right time. This 700 sps just happened to be the right price, caliber and right timing. However I have another question for your guys. Since I will not be hunting any time soon and I currently have a large supply of both 223 and 30-06 for my purposes of just accuracy shooting, What are the pros and cons of either caliber? I would like to consolidate calibers but it is not necessary at the moment. These are the calibers I currently have in inventory and shoot often; 9mm, 223/5.56, 12ga, 30-06, 7.62x54r and I have 7.62x39 in inventory but not currently using it at the moment. I am well stocked for plinking in all calibers except 7.62x54r and 7.62x39. I am not sure what I am doing with the mosin as I know I wont recover what I paid and I really don't have the extra time to put into cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo, and if I choose not to shoot the corrosive ammo I know the price tag shoots up fast and I don't know if I will be able to feed it down the road along with my other firearms. Also I am trying to sell my sks at the moment so unless I end up with a AK down the road I will probably sell that. I know without a doubt I will be keeping 9mm, 12ga and 223/5.56, is there enough difference for my purposes to keep the 06 or 54r around, or would I be happy with a bolt gun in 223 so that both my AR and my bolt are the same. I am not opposed cutting down to the main three calibers and either storing or selling the 30-06 and 7.62. I hope I am being clear enough, I am trying to give you guys enough information to give advise that will fit my situation and not waste anyone's time. Thank you very much again and any help is greatly appreciated, I truly enjoy all the great guys on this site and all the great information I have gleaned from here.

There is NO comparison to the 5.56 and a 30-06, 7.62x54r or a .308 for that matter. I highly suggest keeping a ".30" cal in your inventory. As far as cleaning your Mosin after shooting corrosive ammo, what's the big deal. I have been shooting mil-surp ammo for years out of my Mosin's. Once you get home from the range, just run a couple of wet patches of hot soapy water or (I use an ammonia Mr. Clean type soap and hot water) this cuts and dissolves the salts. Then run adry patch through and clean as normally with your favorite solvent. Home made " Ed's Red" works great. I also wipe off the bolt face with the same and your good to go. Only adds afew minutes to your cleaning protocol.

A couple years ago I went shopping for a bolt gun for hunting. I tried out a variety of weapons- Remington, Winchester, Weatherby, Savage, etc. I finally settled on a Tikka T3 in 30-06. I love it! It has THE smoothest action of any of them, and once I got the scope dialed in- accurate as all get-out. And LIGHT! Mine weighs in at under 7lbs. Here's mine:

Rifles008.jpg

Rifles011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again guys. My issue with the mosin isn't the amount of work necissarily, It is the fact that sometime I do not have time to clean my rifle s immeadiatly upon returning home and sometimes have to wait a couple days to get to them. I will keep the 06. Until I find something more to my liking in either 06 or 308. I am sure that will be a while though. Thanks again and the Mosin I am still up in the air on.

So, I tried to go out and shoot the 06 and the three mosins I have aquired recently(two 91/30's and one M44) along with some other firearms. I had everything ready to go and staged at my Brothers place because he was driving and when we got there He forgot to load up my 06 and 54r ammo. He brought my ammo for everything else but my main goal for the day was to shoot the mosin and the 06. Maybe next time.

I was considering switching from 30-06 to 308, because I really wanted a SAPR. However, I think there is enough benifit to keeping the 30-06 and trying to figure something else out for a SAPR. I am thinking a Browning BAR(not the military verson) if I can find the high capacity mags in 30-06 or a PSL/Vepr/something in 7.62x54r. I am really like for a SAPR with at least the ability to have 10 round mags and still be reliable, along with the ability to mount optics. Basically I am looking for a SHTF Semiauto with vehicle stopping power. 5.56 isn't going to fit the bill there.

Comment from the cheap seats (thread reader on the sidelines): this has been a valuable thread in my search and research. Just wanted to say thanks all for solid advice, opinions and personal preferences. I have a much more detailed shopping list.

I saw this video before leaving on vacation and I think, based on this data point that I might be ditching at my 2 91/30's, one I am sure will be at a loss.

"Ruger American Rifle: Winning Features" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

I was planning on adding the brass stacker mount to at least my m44 and one of the 91/30 and mounting a long eye relief scope, because I think it would be cool. However, after buying the mount and rings I could almost have this modern Ruger American. When I will have the ability to reload in the future, I don't think it makes sense to keep the mosins(other than the M44) any more. I haven't totally decided fore sure yet but I know I will be keeping the M44 for no other reason then I am sure it will be fun.

I am anxious to see future budget bolt gun reviews from TNP.

There are just to many ways to go when it comes to this firearm obsession I have.

Hi, guys I am thinking about a bolt gun, I recently bought a Marlin XL7 in 30-06 and long story short sold it back to the guy I bought it from. So, I am back in the market for a bolt gun. I would like to keep my gun calibers somewhat standardized. I have a AR-15 that shoots 223/5.56 and I have 2000 plus rounds of ammo for it, I also have close to 2000 rounds of 30-06 but nothing to shoot it in that is mine. My dad has a old beater Mossberg 30-06 that does the job for now and eventually will be passed down to me. I am looking for a bolt gun so I can get into some long distance shooting. I only shoot about once a month and I shoot a decent variaty diciplines when I go shooting, but long distance right now isn't one of them. I am wondering what you guys think I should look for and why in caliber or rifle? Should I buy a 223 or 30-06 bolt action or Heck I will throw this out maybe mosin for now? the most I will be shooting in the next couple years will be 1-200 yards and probably mostly 100 maybe 125 yards. from the research I have done I like the Marlin XL7, Remington 700 BDLish, savage with accutriger, I haven't done a ton a research but enough to like those. are there other rifles I am not looking at? I have read many threads on NWFA about several of the popular bolt guns. I am always looking for a good deal/alot of gun for the money. Thanks for your time and advice
I can't remember his name now, but a famous gun writer once won Wimbledon with an '03 Springfield.
For someone interested in long range shooting, that's a helluva sales pitch....make sure to use 165 gr. Matchkings.
Model 700, model 70, Model 110, these are all great bolt guns to use for any purpose.

Dean

Thanks again for the info. It looks like more work and money than I want to put into a budget bolt gun just to have a detachable magazine. I think it would be cheaper to just buy a different model when I am ready for that. For now I will keep it and see how I like it. I am sure it is more accurate that I am and should be good for a long time. Thanks for all the great option and information you guy provided me. I was really looking hard for a Howa 1500, Savage/stevens, Marlin XL7, and some of the others mentioned before but I had a hard time finding the right caliber that was available for the price I liked at the right time. This 700 sps just happened to be the right price, caliber and right timing. However I have another question for your guys. Since I will not be hunting any time soon and I currently have a large supply of both 223 and 30-06 for my purposes of just accuracy shooting, What are the pros and cons of either caliber? I would like to consolidate calibers but it is not necessary at the moment. These are the calibers I currently have in inventory and shoot often; 9mm, 223/5.56, 12ga, 30-06, 7.62x54r and I have 7.62x39 in inventory but not currently using it at the moment. I am well stocked for plinking in all calibers except 7.62x54r and 7.62x39. I am not sure what I am doing with the mosin as I know I wont recover what I paid and I really don't have the extra time to put into cleaning it after shooting corrosive ammo, and if I choose not to shoot the corrosive ammo I know the price tag shoots up fast and I don't know if I will be able to feed it down the road along with my other firearms. Also I am trying to sell my sks at the moment so unless I end up with a AK down the road I will probably sell that. I know without a doubt I will be keeping 9mm, 12ga and 223/5.56, is there enough difference for my purposes to keep the 06 or 54r around, or would I be happy with a bolt gun in 223 so that both my AR and my bolt are the same. I am not opposed cutting down to the main three calibers and either storing or selling the 30-06 and 7.62. I hope I am being clear enough, I am trying to give you guys enough information to give advise that will fit my situation and not waste anyone's time. Thank you very much again and any help is greatly appreciated, I truly enjoy all the great guys on this site and all the great information I have gleaned from here.
I think, ultimately, it comes down to which calibers you want to own.
In my mind, you could get a 9mm long gun and use that as a short range plinker to back up your pistol.
The 12 ga. is a must keeper, unless you grow a total distain for any shotty games.
After that, it seems that all you'll be left wanting for is a long range gun, and that should be the '06. There's just more available for it, than the 54R round.

...jmho.

Dean

Hey whitebuffalo, when you are back in the market for a bolt gun go to gun shops handle the rifles, throw them to your shoulder (pointing way above people's heads). Test them for weight, balance and length of pull. How does it feel with deliberate aim. As an example I tend to like rifles that feel a bit muzzle heavy, you might dislike that a lot. You will shoot best with a weapon that fits you and is comfortable for you to handle. Hope you find the best rifle in the world, for you!

Most accurate rifle I've shot was a friends $5000 Blaser with zeiss scope. And my $1000 Tikka 595 master sporter with a 16x variable leupold and removable magazine. Both sub 1/2 inch guns. Now I am ugly and not vary smart. But I am a good shot and can tell what a rifle has to offer. Of my 30 or so rifles that .308 tikka is crazy good! It's one of those guns that you dont even have to settle down and try that hard with. It's not gona throw a flyer. Or open up with several rounds. So settled! You know what I'm talkin about? This rifles so flyes under the radar. How dose a $1000 gun do that! It could be just mine. It's the only master sport I"ve shot. But I read this is the norm. If you get the chance to get one. Do it. It's a strange looking rifle but I think that helps.

Medic,

That's quite the arsenal you mentioned.
Just curious - Was the Blaser also a .308 and do you handload?
It's nice when a gun fits you, isn't it.

Dean

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top