JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, guys I am thinking about a bolt gun, I recently bought a Marlin XL7 in 30-06 and long story short sold it back to the guy I bought it from. So, I am back in the market for a bolt gun. I would like to keep my gun calibers somewhat standardized. I have a AR-15 that shoots 223/5.56 and I have 2000 plus rounds of ammo for it, I also have close to 2000 rounds of 30-06 but nothing to shoot it in that is mine. My dad has a old beater Mossberg 30-06 that does the job for now and eventually will be passed down to me. I am looking for a bolt gun so I can get into some long distance shooting. I only shoot about once a month and I shoot a decent variaty diciplines when I go shooting, but long distance right now isn't one of them. I am wondering what you guys think I should look for and why in caliber or rifle? Should I buy a 223 or 30-06 bolt action or Heck I will throw this out maybe mosin for now? the most I will be shooting in the next couple years will be 1-200 yards and probably mostly 100 maybe 125 yards. from the research I have done I like the Marlin XL7, Remington 700 BDLish, savage with accutriger, I haven't done a ton a research but enough to like those. are there other rifles I am not looking at? I have read many threads on NWFA about several of the popular bolt guns. I am always looking for a good deal/alot of gun for the money. Thanks for your time and advice

Well, an inexpensive one to look at is the Howa 1500. Comes in most popular calibers. Starting around $349.99 with rings but no scope, and then the price goes up from there.
They are made in Japan, but don't let that scare you. They have a very smooth action, and smooth & Crisp trigger.

My son just bought a Howa 1500 in 300 win. mag. It has about as much recoil as a .243 does. Nothing like the old shoulder busters of the past.....
I just bought a Howa .223 for my father-in-law from Kolt, at Santiam buyers in Stayton at the last Albany gun show. Very sweet rifle. for 349 bucks, I'm thinking of getting a couple more for myself.

Here are a couple links with a review. You can do a google search yourself as well.

http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm

Howa Rifles for Sale Online from Howa Firearms - Guns for Sale - Able Ammo

There are many brands and calibers to choose from, but the Howa is a quality rifle for the money.

My .02 cents.....

Stay Safe.

I'll add my .02 worth, the Howa 1500 rifles are the best bang for your buck on the market right now. I am a gunsmith and I refer to these as the Japanese Sako. They are almost a copy of the old L61 action with a few googaa's left out but all the good solid stuff still there. You can take the bolt apart with your two hands to clean it in the field, no tools needed. The barrels are hammer forged, very uniform and almost every 1500 I have worked on was more accurate than I was. they use Remington contour scope bases, if it fits a 700 it'll fit a Howa. All Weatherby Vanguard rifles since the start have been made by Howa, the only difference being some marks on the bolt, better wood and a bolt locking safety, all the parts interchange with similar caliber Howa's. For the bucks, I dont think you can go wrong.

Its a long story basically the guy needed some money right now. But he didn't want to sell. So we came to an agreement I would pay 250 with the option of buying it back for 300, if he could come up with the money with in two weeks. Well he was able to come up with the money to buy it back. I made 50 off the deal witch is okay but I had enough time with it to take it out and after sighting it in was able to accomplish 2 inch 5 round groups without trying hard. I was very happy but had to sell it back. Sucks. I really enjoy semi auto fire arms but its nice to slow it down with a bolt action at the end of the day.

I have been spending part of the evening looking at the Howa 1500, this looks like it might be what I am looking for. I really like the economy of the Marlin xl7 and other rifles, but I have been looking at used 700's also going in the $5-700 range. I am thinking if I am going to spend that type of money maybe the Howa is the way to go. i am into modding my guns a little does anyone know what the after market looks like to the Howa 1500? Thanks for the info and help guys.

I had a Smith and Wesson 1500 in 270 win a while back. It's the same gun as the Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard. For some reason it just didn't grow on me. It had a crisp trigger, but it was fairly heavy. (didn't look into adjusting it, or to see if that was even possible) It shot alright, but not any better than my Rugers (yes, plural Rugers. And yes, I put a good Leupold scope on it). I just never warmed up to that gun and sold it without looking back.
There are a lot of guns I'd buy before buying another Howa gun, no matter what name is stamped on it. Part of it may likely be that I am NOT a push feed fan. That said, I'd rather a Savage than the 1500.
I have a nice JC Higgins (Belgian Mauser) that I like much better than the 1500. I'd never trade one of the Ruger 77 MKIIs for one...
But, that's just my opinion. And it's worth just what you paid for it.

Do you want a bench, tactical, or hunting rig?? Long or short action?

Savage 10fcp-5r if want a 308. I'm a huge Savage fan- pick up a model in the caliber you want and have fun. Factory barrels are usually damn good, easy to swap barrels if want different cal/set up, low entry cost. If you want to build/tinker pick up a Stevens 200 *same action as savage actions* drop on a barrel of your choice, new stock and optics and in it for cheap.

I am looking for bench maybe hunting down the road. School doesn't allow time to get into hunting. I really enjoy semi fast tactical shooting, as long as I am reasonably accurate. After a day of exciting shooting I find it relaxing to really slow it down and dig into something a little less complicated and manual. I know my AR can do upto 300 yards accurately and relatively quick, but I like the manual bolt action and slowing it down. I like the idea of getting a inexpensive Stevens and Modding it myself. I will spend a little time looking into that option.

If you like the accutrigger it'll probably work out cheaper to hunt down a model you want with it. If swapping triggers then No difference. I picked up a used 111 with accutrigger at the pawn shop for ~300, threaded 308 barrel is on there. Just need a new bolt head (gun was a 7mm), and to finish inletting my stock for the bottom metal. You can find lots of long actions in pawn shops for cheap- be aware your low cost decent stock options are VERY limited in long action!!

A short or long action, is just that, the length of the action. It depends on caliber. .223, .308, 7.62x39, and rounds like that use short actions. .270, .30-06, and most magnums use long actions.

Hi guy thanks for the info. I just wanted to let you all know that I am still taking my time and checking out some of the modern bolt actions already mention. I wanted to add this in there. I was at Keiths in Gresham and they had a really nice looking Mosin for $130 and I picked it up. I have sort of been in the market for a Mosin the last couple years and I have probably held dozens maybe more. I have seen them locally priced anywhere from $100 at Rapid Fire in Sandy to $160 somewhere. The Mosin I bought this last week was the nicest I have seen and I had to have it. I am still looking at the Howa, Savage, Stevens, and others. I really might come down to just the right deal for me to pull the trigger.

The Weatherby Vanguard. I saw that Nutnfancy has one and is currently testing it out. So, I looked up some other reviews on youtube and of the ones I saw it gets very favorable reviews and has excellent accuracy. So many options. Turns out my wife didn't find my emergency fund. My brother in-law and I were going through the gun safe the other day and he saw my "emergency fund and thought it would be funny to mess with me and stick it in a different spot. It worked.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top