JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for serving our country.

Having been through a few of these gunpacolypse's and a private citizen owning guns through the last 15-20 years. I can say, hold off until the dust settles before trying to buy something. You'll only lose money buying now versus waiting till the demand resides in a year or two.
I don't know if I believe this anymore I've also been threw previous Armageddons and this ones different politically coming new into civilian firearms I would say buy what you need now I don't see this calming down soon. If you already own several firearms I would say wait then.

I don't know if I believe this anymore I've also been threw previous Armageddons and this ones different politically coming new into civilian firearms I would say buy what you need now I don't see this calming down soon. If you already own several firearms I would say wait then.
There are still plenty of guns to purchase now, at higher prices. As well as ammo, at much much higher prices.

Buying now, when you've gone as long as the OP without owning is just what the hype wants. It's not needed. Gun ownership in this country isn't going away without some sort of cataclysmic event.

Howdy and welcome to NWFA, and you are not wrong!

Buy what you need...most indoor gun ranges have rental guns for you to try out. Like you, I cut my teeth on 1911s an M16a1 so start there maybe.

Gun prices are higher but there are always more used for sale, especially on the NWFA and Gun Broker. As you know, rifles are easier to shoot well but kind of hard to keep handy even around the house or property.

Ammo is going to cost you to get some practice in but there is always more ammo popping up on the NWFA, and you can still find some at the local shops.

:s0160:

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

Thanks for standing up and raising your hand to protect our great Nation. When I was in, big Navy was transitioning from the 1911 to the M9, but ASF on a Sub Base wasn't on the list so we still had 1911s in 1995. I taught by kids using a 1911-22 and an ATI FX45 1911. My AR15 definitely has the same controls as the M16A2 that I had in ASF. As others have said, start with what you know. Then move on or not, that is up to you. I grew up a Navy Brat, then joined hoping to get stationed back home, but that never happened. My family back in the Carolina's told me about Palmetto State Armory and I built all of my ARs. When my kids turned 18, I taught them how to build their own lowers. We've never had issues with PSA products.

There are a lot of good folks here, and plenty of ways to get involved. This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

Once we're able to start using the public lands again, check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

Until then check out Trash No Land.

Ladies and gentlemen, a domestic enemy is now upon us.

Got that right!
It's OK, we got rid of that nasty old "grab 'em by the ...." Trump - our virtue signaling has paid off with the death of a once great nation. OORAH! :rolleyes:

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would ever need to own a firearm as a civilian.

If you think you might need something for self defense, and you have a safe place to store it so kids, or others, are not in danger, I sure as heII would not wait on things to get better because they may get 10X worse! The domestic enemy in charge is called that for a reason. ;)

IF you don't want to be a felon in a few weeks, might consider sticking with firearms that are not "assault weapons", and with no more than 10 round capacity. However if you want to defend the Constitution....... ;)

Second the 'muscle memory thing'.

I learned to shoot, strip and clean a Model 1911 when I was just six and a half years old - it was owned illegally by my dad at that time. The skill has never left me, sixty-eight years later - same for the FAL/SLR. I served two years and a bit as infantry Territorial Army here in UK before I joined up full-time, and being a gun-lover, simply added the FAL/SLR stripdown and reassembly to my experience of dozens of kinds of guns. When I joined the Army fulltime, there was not a single member of the training staff who could beat me - eyes closed, behind my back - whatever.

What you are used to will also serve you now - there are many new names and models to choose from for both your old favourites.

I consider myself an adverage joe. My experience with firearms is limited to my military years. I served in the Navy for over 20 years as a Seabee. I know the M16 A1/A2 and A3 like the back of my hand. Earning my Expert rifleman medal, I also had experience with the 45 and the the 9mm, earning expert pistol medals for each. So I know more then someone who has never owned a gun.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would ever need to own a firearm as a civilian. The current politcal situation has suddenly woken me up. All of us Americans are on the verge of losing our second amendment rights. A friend of mine told me about your website and suggested I join. Aside from my military experience I have little or no experience with civillian firearms, therefore I welcome advice from people who would like to suggest where I begin. The totalitarian left wants to take our guns, therefore I believe the more of us that own firearms, the harder it will be for them to do it. In the military, I took an oath to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

I consider myself an adverage joe. My experience with firearms is limited to my military years. I served in the Navy for over 20 years as a Seabee. I know the M16 A1/A2 and A3 like the back of my hand. Earning my Expert rifleman medal, I also had experience with the 45 and the the 9mm, earning expert pistol medals for each. So I know more then someone who has never owned a gun.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would ever need to own a firearm as a civilian. The current politcal situation has suddenly woken me up. All of us Americans are on the verge of losing our second amendment rights. A friend of mine told me about your website and suggested I join. Aside from my military experience I have little or no experience with civillian firearms, therefore I welcome advice from people who would like to suggest where I begin. The totalitarian left wants to take our guns, therefore I believe the more of us that own firearms, the harder it will be for them to do it. In the military, I took an oath to support and defend the constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

You and I have similar experience except mine only for 3 years as an Army Infantryman (MOS 11B, 1980 to 1983), but you get A LOT of weapons training as an Infantryman. I also qualified as an expert markman on several weapons, but my DD214 only shows "Expert Badge with M16 Rifle Bar" which kind of pissed me off at the time. My point is that I agree with you 100%, "the enemy is combined" and they are within, and the more civilians owning weapons, the more difficult it will be to "come and take them". To be clear, American history has always been an interest and I don't ever want civil war, but I personally am willing to fight for my 2nd Ammendment rights, first in the courts, and later in whatever circumstances present themselves. I hope and pray that there are enough patriots left in this country who have the stomach to stand up for their God given Constitutional Rights.

Welcome. I also took an oath when I became a Marine in 2007.

The domestic enemy has always been here. They're just getting bolder and bolder because they know they can get away with it from what I've seen in my life so far.

Keep on putting the pressure on them though. Stay safe out there.

Didn't read the whole thread, so I'll apologize if this is repeating other comments/posts, but IMO where to start depends on what you want to do with your firearms. There are myriads of sporting competitions, from target shooting from a bench rest, steel silhouette, speed steel, bowling pins, USPSA/IDPA/Cowboy action pistol, and the various clay target sports. Or you can go out to a range on your own and do pretty much the same things, plus goin out in the wild and bustin cans (cleanup after is mandatory). Then there is self-defense and home defense.

Just buy what you need for what you plan to do. Reading up, trips to gun stores, and trips to ranges that will let you rent guns to try out. Civilian ARs are semi-auto forms of the same rifle you used in the service. And you probably know there are many Beretta clones of your service pistol, and many versions of 1911. Otherwise, there are many good rifles and pistols out there and you have fallen into a deep tunnel filled with money sucking gremlins!! Enjoy!!! :D:D

Welcome to the forum.

BTW, OP and all other servicemen and women and all first responders, Oath Keepers has been much maligned lately, and even de-platformed, because a couple of yahoos took part in the mess at the Capitol. But that type of action is NOT what we are about... we are about fufilling the promise we made in the oath that we took, which didn't have an expiration date. Same as mentioned by other members here. Please check us out, and consider attending a chapter near you: https://oathkeepers.org/

Oh, and when the woods are open again, there are NWFA sponsored cleanups out in the woods that would allow you to meet other members, kibbutz in fellowship, and create opportunities to learn more about your new hobby.

Last Edited:
Welcome aboard SeaBee... :D

Seabee.jpeg

At this point I would say anything and everything you can get your hands on...and don't keep them all in one location...let them have the ones at your door and avoid putting your family in a situation. But, know you have what you need to replace what they take after they leave. They are coming!

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for serving our country.

Having been through a few of these gunpacolypse's and a private citizen owning guns through the last 15-20 years. I can say, hold off until the dust settles before trying to buy something. You'll only lose money buying now versus waiting till the demand resides in a year or two.

Normally I may agree, but this has been a different year than past "apocalypses". Based on what happened the past few months I no longer think they are worried about losing seats in the mid-terms if they over-play their hands. They can just fix those elections, too...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top