Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

I think my wife wants me dead or home earlier from work

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SigFanWA, Mar 15, 2012.

1. SigFanWA

SigFanWA Clark County, WA Member

Ok so my family was around the dinner table last night talking about traffic and getting home from work so late - I work South of the border and take I-5 everyday.

During our conversation, my wife asked if I would consider a motorcycle to communte to work. Shocked, I said, Oh yes, that would save a lot of time being able to use the HOV lane. So after thinking about her suggestion, Im thinking she is either being practical or trying to get me killed. :paranoid:

Anyways, Before I start researching on the interwebs, I what to ask you guys what is a good bike for commuting?

2. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

I would check first to see if she took out a life insurance policy on you...(<:}-

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Nice.

When I was down there 10 years ago bikes were nice. I lived in Yacolt at the fire station and had school in Beaverton. Having a bike cut my evening commute by over half.

Lots of bike choices all depends on what you like. I like the ride of a sport bike. When I lived down there I had a Ninja 250 that I traded a pistol and $400 for (I was a student). It got over 50 MPG vs my truck at 14 MPG and gas had hit a whopping $1.70/gal. I then ended up selling the bike that fall with just over 10k on it, 6k being what I put on it. I got $1000 for it so I think I did more then ok.

A few years ago I bought another Kawi, this time a ZZR-600. Still a sport bike still 40 MPG. Still lots of fun. Problem is I work out of town so a one way commute is about 3.5 hrs and about half way though my *** and legs were numb. I really liked that bike but did not work for what I was doing. I still put 15k on it in 1.5 years.

DSC_0006.jpg

Last fall I picked up a 2011 Kawi Concours 14. This is a sport touring bike and I love it, they are not cheep though. IF I can keep it at the speed limit I get about 50 MPG, but I seem to average about 40 MPG. Still way better then the truck or the car. This thing is a very smooth and comfortable ride with sport bike performance.

DSC_0002-3.jpg

You might look at the PNWriders website. It is a local bike forum with tons of good folks on there.

4. zippygaloo

zippygaloo Oregon Member

Like Nwcid, I too had a sport bike (Yamaha YZF 600R) and loved it! Like Nwcid, I too had it decked out with soft tank, seat and saddle bags. It was great! The handle bars on it were above the triple clamp so it was a lot more comfortable than other sport bikes. But, as I've gotten older my legs/knees just can't take the angles of a sport bike.

Personally I would not buy a 250 or 600 again because you grow out of them way to fast. If given a choice, I would go for the torque of a low end powerband over that of a middle or top end powerband. Although I don't currently have a bike, if I were to get another one it would be something along the lines of...

Yamaha FJR 1300A
    146_0806_04_z+sport_touring_shootout+2008_yamaha_FJR1300A.jpg

or

Buell Ulysess XB12X
    4312-Buell-Ulysses.jpg

If I had to go the sport bike route, it would definitely be this...

Honda VFR
    honda-vfr+%u0025252810%2529.jpg

4312-Buell-Ulysses.jpg

146_0806_04_z+sport_touring_shootout+2008_yamaha_FJR1300A.jpg

honda-vfr+%u0025252810%2529.jpg

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  5. SigFanWA

I too am past the sport bike stage, had a Ducati Monster 900 a few years back and before that a YZF 600. That Honda VFR is nice. I'll have to check that out. Oh, and maybe a used Beemer - dont know much about them, but and few pass me on I-5. Any Beemer fans here?

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How much would it cost to save how many minutes? Ever ride a bike in the rain? ever ride a bike on slick road? In The PNW there is a very good reason you hardly ever see a bike on the road between mid Oct and Mid April. So now how many days will you actually save how much time for how much money. Oh and don't forget that while you are saving a few min and a few bucks on fuel you are also spending money on maintance on the bike and INSURANCE on the bike. And a Helmet and riding clothes and time to get out of riding clothes into work clothes and back.

To save how much time on a short section of freeway that has a HOV lane?

7. KONE KILLER

KONE KILLER WASHOUGAL, WA Active Member

I had a coworker up in seatac that rode his bmw year round! Just buy the right gear and you are good to go!

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  8. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

Probably dead cause she suggested it . Actually the best way to collect on a death is through a auto accident cause if you got full coverage She'll collect on casualty and if you have life insurance she'll collect on that so CHA CHING double pay off.

Are you worth more dead than alive ? do you leave the toilet seat up? do you spend too much time here ? If you answered yes to 2 or more .....

you might consider car pool.

iusmc2002, Riot, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  9. snooopidydoo

snooopidydoo Medford Oregon Active Member

BMW

10. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Junction City Active Member

Have you checked her closet for new shoes or purses??? Something is fishy here! LOL

11. SwiftyMorgan

SwiftyMorgan South Oregon New Member

I like to ride my Harley Shovelhead. 40mpg, $27/mo. insurance (with comprehensive). I'll ride in the rain, but not on ice or snow.

l.jpg

l.jpg

l.jpg

mjbskwim, glock.40, jer fly and 3 others like this.
  12. Airman

Airman WA Member

Lengthy commute requires a more cozy ride. Used Gold Wings are a dime a dozen. But staying awake on them is a struggle.

13. SigFanWA

Yes to more than two. :) I have to admit carpooling sucks.

14. SigFanWA

Im thinking the bike would be really more for the summer. Driving on I-5 is the absolute worst durning the summer.

15. SigFanWA

To SwiftyMorgan: Very nice bike my man.

16. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

This was my commuter for quite a while. Its one of the best all around bikes available IMHO.
    It is a Suzuki V-Strom. They come in either 650 or 1000cc versions. Mine was the 650 (model is DL650A, the A stands for ABS) and had way more than enough power to haul my nearly 300lb carcas all over creation.
    Its great for commuting, and great for touring if you want. Good fuel economy too. And pretty easy on the pocket book to purchase.
    Try this site for all the info you could ever want on them. Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
    You will probabaly also find some great deals on used models there too.
    V-stromatMthood-1-1.jpg

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Nwcid,how fast have you had that beast up to? Very nice bike but I'd have to top it out at least once.
    The VFR is very nice
    The Harley or other cruiser type for comfort for old fat guys
    The Urrel for the streets not the hiway,doesn't go fast enough to save on your commute,lol
    And Whytecheddar,you V-strom owners do give good deals on those bikes.At least when I was looking I couldn't find one.But a bike I'd like to take a trip on.

MarkW lakes some good points,except insurance is a non factor for a bike.
    I guess I'm not a real biker (as in all kinds of riders,not just bad *** harley riders)
    I don't like the dressing and undressing before and after riding.I don't care for riding in the rain and don't trust many people while riding in the dry. California riding is great,just put on a helmet and ride.Up here you need rain gear,warm gear,you get hot when you go to the store for more than a convenience stop.

And I won't drive the 5 though Portland with a car or truck,I can't imagine riding a bike on that stretch of hiway

18. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

This is a pic from right after I got the bike. I put an Area P full exhaust, programed PC-V and B&M air filter in it this winter. I dont have a new pic cause the bike is covered in road gunk since I rode it last week. It is too cold out to wash it though.

I have only had it up to about 140 mph and it was still pulling hard. This bike is now kinda scary fast. I can go from 70 to 140 in about 5 seconds without even trying hard. By the end of the summer I might see what she tops out at.......

I can not say enough good things about this bike from comfort to speed to handling to fun.

19. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

I have seen some Portland Police motors on Concourses' lately.
    And Gresham PD as well. Talk about a great job. ;-)

20. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I remember when I made the realization that my wife wanted to eat me... I'd gained about 20lbs and she just kept baking cookies and pies and various pastries for me, always served with a smile. I sat at the table one evening, completely stuffed on marbly steak and sweet potatoes and pie and whip cream and whole milk, thinking to myself I appreciate the love, but doesn't she realize how fat I'm getting? It's almost like she wants me fat... The fork dropped to the floor... my mouth hung open a little... my breath quickened... Out of the corner of my eye, I glanced over at her in the kitchen. She smiled at me... she was sharpening a knife, and smiling at me. I thought she must surely hear the deafening roar of my heart pounding in my chest...

I run 25 miles a week and my diet consists of mostly veggies. My wife isn't nice to me anymore, but at least I'm alive, gentlemen... at least I'm alive!

Don't get the bike.