JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Fellow C&R Junkies, as I've said before, Bubbas work is never done.

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck they were, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out, and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian fire arm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

Last week, while LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed is the rear sight. It has a crack that needs brazed. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

325%20001_zpsugb2glih.jpg

325%20003_zpshqilwdbf.jpg

325%20004_zpsd382btwq.jpg

Nice result. Yes, .30-30 in a bolt gun design isn't usual. That design that you've got there was made with Savage and Stevens branding. They also made some of these with store branding, such as Coast to Coast Hardware, etc. Winchester made some Model 54's in .30-30 but those are not common. There may be other .30-30 bolt guns that I'm unaware of.

Restoring my Grandfather's 325 now. I used to pack it up Yacolt mountain for my dad after he got home from work. It put a lot of food on the table.

Velzey reblued and I spent six hours hand sanding the stock, waiting on multiple cracks to be repaired now.
I found a sweet Buffalo shoulder strap I am going to add.

Mine is 325, no A, B or C. so likely a 1947, these were only branded Stevens for three years.
Model 322 (companion gun) was also available in .22 Hornet. 2,600 to 3,000 FPS.

Got the stock back with about eight cracks fixed, stained and on the third coat of linseed oil, will do five or six applications. I rattle canned the magazine but it turned out pretty good. Grandfather, father and at least one brother have harvested deer with this rifle. I hope to do the same.

Thank you for sharing your rifle.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian fire arm so badly.
Amazing ain't it?

Several years ago I went to look at a '1908' Mod 94 in .25-35 Win.

Well, the owner didn't live too far from me, kinda NW of Sunriver but after driving down a long dirt road I pulled up to what looked like Bear Claw's cabin in Jeremiah Johnson and the guy who came out looked about the same. Super nice guy, offers me a beer and we BS for a bit then I ask about the rifle.

Well he goes and gets it and hands it to me. The first think I notice is the stock (that appeared to be made out of a 2 X 6) was stained black, and whatever paint someone used for the action and barrel was peeling off in places. It was missing the sights and well, basically a parts gun or something that would require major restoring. Action and internals were not too bad but it was more than I wanted to deal with at the time, and it was not at all worth what he was asking so I said 'I'll get back to ya If I make any decisions' - and left it at that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top