JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I think I need a 1911 again. I think I may go shopping this week.

Last gun show I went to, Keith's had stainless Colts (don't know the model, but they were pretty high end) for a little over $1000. I imagine I can find a Springfield Loaded for about $900 (I'll only buy one that is NOT marked Brazil). I'm not sure if I want stainless, and if I do, I really don't want matte stainless. I'm leaning towards blued or parkerized.

Any input on which to go for? Or other options? I want 5" I think, maybe 4".

Having been through the whole 1911 thing, I'd recommend you save your money and get a lightly used Wilson Combat 1911. They are great.

As for length, that's your call but I'd say go with the 5" barrel.

I didnt even have to go shopping my dad who could take or leave guns either way sent me a picture the other day of my xmas present he scored off his neighbor for 100.00 dollars a mint 1966 colt original condition with one mag ran thru it even came with 2 boxes of old ammo only downside is its in 38 super but i will learn to live with it

Just FYI all Springfield's are made with parts from Brazil. The higher end models just have more assembly and fitting done in the US. I don't know if any where ever 100% US made.

A lot of times the US marked pistols are fit a lot better. But I have a loaded model that is marked Brazil and it is fit really good! I have also seen US marked pistols that did not impress me.

Either way both pistols are covered by springfields warranty and customer service.

Used to have some guns built in Brazil. Now they hace no connection. All current is US.
For $900 I'd be shopping for a used trp.

Just FYI all Springfield's are made with parts from Brazil. The higher end models just have more assembly and fitting done in the US. I don't know if any where ever 100% US made.

Only the rough Forgings of the frame and slide are from Brazil, for the ones made here.

Unless things have changed.

Used to have some guns built in Brazil. Now they hace no connection. All current is US.
For $900 I'd be shopping for a used trp.

Where are you finding this info? Everything I am reading still says frames and slides are cast and assembly/fitting done in the US. FWIW I have no problem with Springfield, I've never owned one, but from what I've read online and in the rags they build good guns at a good price and treat their customers well. When I looked into getting one years ago I was shocked yo find them importing parts from out of the US. I decided at that time when it was time for a 1911 it would 100% US made.

Sportsman's Warehouse had the Ruger 1911 for $599 on Black Friday, either model. I came real close to buying a Commander style. Keep your eye on the ads - maybe they'll run that price again (i Kind of hope not - I don't need my arm twisted again!)

1) springield uses forgings not castings.
2) SA used to get forgings from Imbel in Brazil. Some milspec and loaded built there some US.
3) SA has recently stopped using Imbel (early sign was the drop of the GI).
4) latest word from a former SACS employee and now FT smith is SA no longer sourcing from Imbel and now all US forgings.

1) springield uses forgings not castings.
2) SA used to get forgings from Imbel in Brazil. Some milspec and loaded built there some US.
3) SA has recently stopped using Imbel (early sign was the drop of the GI).
4) latest word from a former SACS employee and now FT smith is SA no longer sourcing from Imbel and now all US forgings.

Alright I will take your word for it, my info is obviously old and I could find good info anywhere else.

Thanks for the replies. Today while I was in Salem for another trade (actually 2), I went in Sportsman's and fell in love with a stainless Springfield Loaded, US made, it was amazing. I kept calm and took a trip to Guncrafters to see what they had. They had a Colt that I liked, it was used, with some old dinged up night sights, and lots of bluing wear, for $995, REALLY??? They also had a parkerized Springfield Loaded for $795. I ended up back at Sportsman's and got the stainless one out the door for $850 (after an hour wait for the background check). I'm happy other than it needs a solid black rear sight and a tritium front sight, and to get rid of that factory two piece guide rod.

The parkerized US marked Loaded really didn't impress me, fit and finish were not that nice and the slide release was really stiff.

Good choice! The stainless guns are awesome! My buddy has one with about 50 rounds fired out of it. It's one of the tightest 1911s I've seen.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top