JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I think I need a 1911 again. I think I may go shopping this week.

Last gun show I went to, Keith's had stainless Colts (don't know the model, but they were pretty high end) for a little over $1000. I imagine I can find a Springfield Loaded for about $900 (I'll only buy one that is NOT marked Brazil). I'm not sure if I want stainless, and if I do, I really don't want matte stainless. I'm leaning towards blued or parkerized.

Any input on which to go for? Or other options? I want 5" I think, maybe 4".

So I own a few 1911's... A Colt Lightweight Talo edition (CCO), a Colt Gold Cup (Gov) and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special (Gov).
My 1st 1911 was the Gold Cup. Stainless has it's advantages! If this is your 1st 1911 then some sort of accidental idiot mark is in your future. In most cases, this mark can be removed with a quality metal polish and a dremel with a polishing attachment. If a gun is blued, you aint polishing a scratch out. (Ask me how I know)
To me, 1911's are all about the accuracy. The Government models with a quality match grade barrel is way more accurate than the shorter Commander or Officers models. I've heard great thing about the Ruger SR and allot of people like MIMbers, I mean Kimbers but you'll find that at about 5K rounds things start acting up (FTF, FTE, Denting brass) and the triggers will never be like a quality 3 pound custom trigger. Metal Injected Molded parts are made to be replaced. Both my Colts had MIM Parts and both have had the internals, hammer, safety and slide lock replaced with quality parts - Cylinder and Slide and Ed Brown... Both my Colts have an identical trigger pulls. This allows me to practice with My Gold Cup but my everyday carry (the Talo) feels & shoots the same although the Gold cup is more accurate.
Everything on a 1911 can be upgraded. The expensive piece is a match grade barrel. Make sure your 1st 1911 has this and everything else is gravy.
Guns are cheap, Ammo is expensive!!! I shoot 1000 rounds a month (or more) so even reloading it cost me $180 (buying would be 400+ a MONTH) so guns are cheap, it's the ammo that's expensive. Start with a good gun... All that and I didn't brag about my Les Baer....

I've been on here for 3 years and I still haven't figured out how to put a damn picture on here, or I would!

Sign up for a Photobucket account (free) Also, if you take a look at the classifieds, there is a thread near the top of the first page that gives instructions on how to post pics. After you do it once, it's super easy.

Putting photos on here is easier now. Just put the photo on your desktop, and when adding a photo, it will give you choice of finding one on your 'puter, or from a third party photo site. Choose "from computer" and yer done.

Good score Mike!:s0155:

Last weekend my son, Army S.F, Came to our house for a holiday dinner.
Brought him to my "hobby" room and told him to pick anything I had…well…he took my CBOB!

So…I picked up a VBOB today, used, but in great shape.

I can't tell the difference between a 5" and a 4 1/4" barrel for accuracy, although there probably is. (old guy eyes) :s0114:

Enjoy your new toys.

Be well,
Will

Good score Mike!:s0155:

Brought him to my "hobby" room and told him to pick anything I had...well...he took my CBOB!

So...I picked up a VBOB today, used, but in great shape.

I can't tell the difference between a 5" and a 4 1/4" barrel for accuracy, although there probably is. (old guy eyes) :s0114:

Enjoy your new toys.

Be well,
Will

That's awesome! Your son is lucky! So your current one is a 5" or 4.5"? Dan Wessons are nice guns, my brother has a CCO (I think it is). Once I get a few hundred rounds through this one, it will be my carry gun, most the time.

Brought him to my "hobby" room and told him to pick anything I had…well…he took my CBOB!

Not only is your son very fortunate and has a fantastic father, he's got very good taste. My CBOB is my favorite handgun, hands down. From the moment I handled it, I knew it would be "The one". And it has turned out to be as good as I could have ever hoped. I didn't list it ealier, because it's out of the price range specified by the OP, but I can't recommend one enough.

Thank your kid for his service to our country, too, please.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top